News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: We are in Current Year, 2020, the Year of our Lord Jesus Christ  (Read 13613 times)

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
We are in Current Year, 2020, the Year of our Lord Jesus Christ
« on: January 27, 2020, 11:50:42 am »
I am working on a Ganbare Goemon: Uchū Kaizoku Akogingu (PS1) English translation.

DragonSpikeXIII

• View Profile
    • Project NEMO
Re: We are in Current Year, 2020, the Year of our Lord Jesus Christ
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 01:00:46 pm »
Now THIS is what I call an announcement. Can't wait!

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 02:21:24 pm »
Now that's what's up! I downloaded this version of the game.

Ganbare Goemon - Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu (PlayStation the Best for Family) (JP)

Is that the version you're using for your translation? I can always look for another version if anything.

More love for this franchise? I'm good with that. :D  :cookie:

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 02:27:53 pm »
Now that's what's up! I downloaded this version of the game.

Ganbare Goemon - Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu (PlayStation the Best for Family) (JP)

Is that the version you're using for your translation? I can always look for another version if anything.

More love for this franchise? I'm good with that. :D  :cookie:

Its a ripped ISO from the standard version. But dont despair. the patch can be modified if needed to work with the family edition as well.

Ill have images uploaded later today.

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 03:29:49 pm »
I have also been working on a translation for this game in private for quite some time. My version is about 85% complete. The initial Shift-JIS to ASCII patch was done by Weissvulf, and I have been collaborating with Translator Tom to make sure that references to Ganbare Goemon 3 were caught, that characters used similar speech patterns, and so on.

I wasn't ready to announce it, but since 2 other people have now stated that they're starting to work on it, it's probably time.

Here are some screenshots of my project.

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 03:45:33 pm »
I have also been working on a translation for this game in private for quite some time. My version is about 85% complete. The initial Shift-JIS to ASCII patch was done by Weissvulf, and I have been collaborating with Translator Tom to make sure that references to Ganbare Goemon 3 were caught, that characters used similar speech patterns, and so on.

I wasn't ready to announce it, but since 2 other people have now stated that they're starting to work on it, it's probably time.

Okay folks. Consider my project dropped.

I'll pick up another PS1 Goemon game instead.

MrFwibbles, thanks for your contribution and good luck with finishing the project.

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 03:50:45 pm »
Raidou, if your project was far along, please continue. There's no harm in having more than one version out there. I just didn't want people to start the same project only for me to then release my version first.

Edit: It's cool if you want to pick up a different PS1 Goemon game instead. I can honestly say that I don't have any other projects in the pipeline.

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 03:56:00 pm »
Raidou, if your project was far along, please continue. There's no harm in having more than one version out there. I just didn't want people to start the same project only for me to then release my version first.

Edit: It's cool if you want to pick up a different PS1 Goemon game instead. I can honestly say that I don't have any other projects in the pipeline.

Thanks but I care more about getting different projects out there rather than having redundancies. All of this is a learning experience for me so it means nothing for me to drop a project if a better one is out there. You're doing the right thing by making your progress public knowledge.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 04:05:54 pm »

Hi, MrFwibbles. First of all, thanks a lot for working in this title, Goemon is a franchise I held in a high esteem. But I'd like to ask. Is the text of this game fully translated? I'm saying that because I suppose you're aware that Tom has left the translation scene, and this time I fear he really means it, with everything that has happened about a "not politically correct" word in Goemon 3. So I fear that, translation-wise, you're now on your own with this project.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:43:17 pm by aqualung »

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 04:14:43 pm »
I was mostly working alone to begin with. Let me just clarify that Tom didn't translate the content I just shared; I did. We were just sharing information and screenshots about our projects with each other privately. I am aware of Tom's situation, but now everybody has access to the finished GG3 patch and can freely search through the text with a hex editor, so Akogingu shouldn't be affected. I'll try my best to keep the characters consistent with GG3.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 04:45:25 pm »
I was mostly working alone to begin with. Let me just clarify that Tom didn't translate the content I just shared; I did. We were just sharing information and screenshots about our projects with each other privately. I am aware of Tom's situation, but now everybody has access to the finished GG3 patch and can freely search through the text with a hex editor, so Akogingu shouldn't be affected. I'll try my best to keep the characters consistent with GG3.

Ah, ok, sorry. I think I misunderstood your post (something not uncommon in me; I should learn to read more carefully). Thanks again for your work, I'll be sure to give a try when it's finished.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 05:52:37 pm »
Great news! Thanks for working on this!

Before I step on anyone else's project, I guess I should also say I've started the groundwork for Shin Sedai Shuumei.

This was a quick test I did, to see if I could find text stored in RAM and read the text format (it's S-JIS).
Since then, I've managed to trace a table of contents of the main data file in the disc, and split it into individual files.
I'm currently working on joining it back into a working condition after modifying the text files (I already wrote a joining script for it, but I haven't tested modified files of different size yet)
After that, I'll work on a font replacement, and a custom VFW code.

I was in talks with Tom about the actual translation, but I haven't heard back from him since this whole situation you're all aware of (and I don't plan to bring up yet again)
Either way, I still plan to finish "the hacking side" of the project.

... So if anyone else has been silently working on the game and has more progress than me, now it would be a good time to know about it!

I'll pick up another PS1 Goemon game instead.

What about Ooedo Daikaiten?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:03:49 pm by acediez »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 07:23:12 pm »

It's a slight relief to see there's some light in these dark times for Goemon projects, and that people aren't afraid of working on them.
I hope the project will eventually release, just like everyone involved, and everyone who loved the games, wanted.

If it's not too rude from me to ask.
I was surprised you didn't change the character width from 11 to like 8. The font is apparently easily editable to complement this game's presentation too... But even if it's not possible, it's not that bad. It even has some kind of charm to it.

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 07:54:56 pm »
Great news! Thanks for working on this!

Before I step on anyone else's project, I guess I should also say I've started the groundwork for Shin Sedai Shuumei.

This was a quick test I did, to see if I could find text stored in RAM and read the text format (it's S-JIS).
Since then, I've managed to trace a table of contents of the main data file in the disc, and split it into individual files.
I'm currently working on joining it back into a working condition after modifying the text files (I already wrote a joining script for it, but I haven't tested modified files of different size yet)
After that, I'll work on a font replacement, and a custom VFW code.

I was in talks with Tom about the actual translation, but I haven't heard back from him since this whole situation you're all aware of (and I don't plan to bring up yet again)
Either way, I still plan to finish "the hacking side" of the project.

... So if anyone else has been silently working on the game and has more progress than me, now it would be a good time to know about it!

What about Ooedo Daikaiten?  ;D

Oof, I wasn't expecting Shin Sedai work. Nice.

As for Ooedo Daikaiten, I'd like to but I have no idea why modifying one character in the beginning cutscene causes a black screen after picking a character.

Ebisu at some point in the cutscene for example says "nyohohoho." If I change it to hohoohoh," it breaks the game. No extra characters being used.. just replacing nyo (two bytes) with ho ho.

:banghead:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:30:30 pm by RaidouJFlo »

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 08:21:46 pm »
If it's not too rude from me to ask.
I was surprised you didn't change the character width from 11 to like 8. The font is apparently easily editable to complement this game's presentation too... But even if it's not possible, it's not that bad. It even has some kind of charm to it.
I would like to edit the font, and was going to ask for help doing so later on (when I've finished inserting English dialogue). Weissvulf provided me with the font.bmp that I'm using, and I don't understand how to edit it properly. It seems that no matter what I use, the file size of the bitmap doubles when I save it and then the reinsertion of the font doesn't work right. I remember he said something about using his "2 bit tool" but Windows 10 insists that it's a virus and refuses to play nicely with it. I've had the tool working, but the file size STILL doubled, so I don't know what he did to make it work and he hasn't been online to ask in like a year.

Another problem is that there's just no way I can edit the images (title screen, Impact's dashboard, signs etc.) because Konami used a proprietary format and that's way beyond my skill level. I can extract them with Weissvulf's Raw to TIM tool, but I have no idea how to extract the palette or how I'm supposed to reinsert the images without the colours being completely wrong. A programmer told me that it would require its own tool to be made.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:33:14 pm by MrFwibbles »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 08:43:34 pm »
I was about to suggest that the SNES Goemon games seemed to be notoriously resistant to translation, but egads, someone finally finished those last week!?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 10:21:39 pm »
I was about to suggest that the SNES Goemon games seemed to be notoriously resistant to translation, but egads, someone finally finished those last week!?

not yet the fourth SNES Goemon game has not been translated yet, can anyone tell me how I can translate the rom so I can help you guys out?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 10:31:10 pm »
not yet the fourth SNES Goemon game has not been translated yet, can anyone tell me how I can translate the rom so I can help you guys out?
There is also Ganbare Goemon - Hoshizorashi Dynamites Arawaru!! on the GBC that follows the same formula of Ganbare Goemon 2. But whichever one gets translated before them is fine, I'd gladly enjoy any.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 10:32:19 pm »

As for Ooedo Daikaiten, I'd like to but I have no idea why modifying one character in the beginning cutscene causes a black screen after picking a character.

:banghead:

Does this happen when modifying text directly in RAM, or in the disc image? If it’s the latter, have you tried rebuilding EDC/ECC sectors after modifying the BIN?

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1264/

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 10:54:05 pm »
Does this happen when modifying text directly in RAM, or in the disc image? If it’s the latter, have you tried rebuilding EDC/ECC sectors after modifying the BIN?

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1264/
it's the latter. let me try that tool you linked and ill update. Thanks.