News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Cooly Skunk - English Translation  (Read 4714 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Cooly Skunk - English Translation
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:27:55 am »
Yeah, I know, I should finish certain other translations before I jump on a new one... but this looks easy! For real, this time! And it's of a game that just appeared out of nowhere and is getting a lot of attention, so I thought what the hell?

Here's what I have to show for it thus far:
https://youtu.be/4VVMfQpLwRw

Anybody wanna make a funky new title screen, or should I do it myself? :D Let's not get ahead of ourselves, better to get the main game done before waiting for titles. Still, feedback is welcome!

Ray572

• View Profile
Re: Cooly Skunk - English Translation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 12:18:44 pm »
Great that you already put to work this title.
Maybe other games are missing to discover or dump.
Thanks for the advancement. :beer:

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:11 pm »
Looking great as always, Psy :)

I'm kind of juggling a lot right now but I made a test title. I was conservative with size because I couldn't find the tiles in the ROM, so after a first pass with thicker letters I reduced them a bit just in case. I tried maintaning the position of the other elements, and make it so the shading followed the curved letters. I'm not entirely happy with the result, though, even for a test. The letters were handled with a sprite rotation program which skewed things a bit more than I was hoping for.

If this is suitable let me know so I can refine this. If it's not, no problem.

markiegee50x

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 06:43:25 pm »
Aw man, the title screen looks amazing!  ;D ;D

SteveMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 03:52:23 am »
Hi guys. I haven't posted here in awhile, you might remember me from such projects that never quite got there such as Moon RPG Remix Adventure, and... well, I'm sure I had others  :laugh:

I'm glad everyone's enjoying this game, it was actually me and my brother's purchase once we learned it was just sitting in a game shop in Japan.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that someone else I know, Dodo•Geist on the Gaming Alexandria Discord, is doing their own translation hack, although I'm not sure how active it is. The person who helped hack the game so you can go past the third world, MasterF0x, is also working on a disassembly of it. I figured best to share this before there's too much overlap since I don't know how many people are tackling this. I'm certainly glad it's getting so much attention!

BMF54123 also has given his own attempt at the title screen and asked I post here for any feedback. I think 4lorn also has done a great job.

Currently working on Moon: Remix RPG Adventure translation

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 04:36:14 am »
I'm glad everyone's enjoying this game, it was actually me and my brother's purchase once we learned it was just sitting in a game shop in Japan.

Wow, if this is the case, props to you, game preservationists thank you highly! :) Having seen the photo of the Satellaview cart with the 50,000 yen price tag, the shop clearly knew they had gold, just waited for someone to stump up the cash. The fact that it was crowdfunded for the sake of preservation is fantastic, and I hope we'll find some more Satellaview hidden gems in the future.

As for the title screen, thanks to 4lorn and yourself for providing ones so quickly. Personally I prefer 4lorn's since it looks more hand-drawn than a font. They also made it easier by providing a cut-out version. ;)

The reason you couldn't find the tiles in the ROM is because they're compressed. I need some time to sit down and analyse the compression so that I know how to compress the new title, but I doubt that it's very complicated. It's just that there's a ton of empty space in the tiles, so obviously a straightforward compression technique is used. I just need to work out how it's done, but I doubt there are many other graphics in the game that will need compressing (I haven't played through the game, of course).

I have encountered a weird problem, though: the status bar graphics are displayed in a way that I don't understand. The three graphics layers for the foreground and background are used, and when you start the game, the only sprites on-screen are those for Cooly himself. So, where are the status bar graphics being held in memory? They're uncompressed in the ROM, so I edited them and they show up fine, but there's a reused tile in the "item" text, so the only way I can fix it is by finding its placement in RAM and changing it. Problem is, I can't understand where it is. Maybe some SNES hackers can help out here.

I suppose I should do a script dump and get translating, but I like to get the technical stuff out of the way before tackling text, since technically that's sorted. That's all for now, though.

Oh, and I would like to know what efforts others are making on translating this, since I assumed I couldn't be the only one trying. :) I'm not going to go joining Discord channels to find out, but if someone here can get in touch with whoever is doing it and relay the message to this thread, it would help.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 09:57:58 am »

Thank you! Sometimes I think people don't take videogame preservation seriously, or believe it's of little importante. Suffice to say I disagree, and am always happy to see someone actively working towards it :)

BMF54123 did a good job, I think. As Psy was quick to notice, I went for a more hand drawn approach. The original version, like so many JP title screens, is a lot more elegant though.

The reason you couldn't find the tiles in the ROM is because they're compressed.

Ah yes, one of the banes of my existence >_<

In any case I'm sick at home today, so I had the time to make slight improvements. I think this version is better both in terms of overall letter consistency and shading. I'm still unsure about the position of the "C", though. As before I'm leaving here the mockup and the cut outs.

If it ends up being used for the game's title screen, please feel free to make any necessary adjustments if you wish :)

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 05:22:01 pm »
Oh my, so many translations for the same game lol.

The romhacker from Discord gave up after knowing there's at least four attempts to get the same thing translated, lol. But in order not to let things go to waste, here are a few things to share from that attempt:

A quick script dump (no pointers included) for translators:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/431269689918750733/669607888435806218/CoolySkunk_JP.txt

Encoding / Table file
FE and 00 are END characters
Line breaks use FA (first) and F9 (second)

Dakuten symbols use 06 and 07 before the character.
F1 changes where the cursor appears (if the window is displayed in the top of the screen)

New sections in the same message box use a wait timer, FD followed by a 1-byte long parameter for how many frames to wait (stored to 7E051C, which can be incidentally useful in case you want faster text speed with asm)
use F8 (clear whole window) then FB (reset cursor position to the beginning)

New message boxes (close the first box, and display a new one) are the same but use FF instead of FD.

04=!
05=?
06=゛
07=゜
08=~
09=..
0A=あ
0B=い
0C=う
0D=え
0E=お
0F=か
10=き
11=く
12=け
13=こ
14=さ
15=し
16=す
17=せ
18=そ
19=た
1A=ち
1B=つ
1C=て
1D=と
1E=な
1F=に
20=ぬ
21=ね
22=の
23=は
24=ひ
25=ふ
26=へ
27=ほ
28=ま
29=み
2A=む
2B=め
2C=も
2D=や
2E=ゆ
2F=よ
30=ら
31=り
32=る
33=れ
34=ろ
35=わ
36=を
37=ん
38=っ
39=ゃ
3A=ゅ
3B=ょ
3C=ア
3D=イ
3E=ウ
3F=エ
40=オ
41=カ
42=キ
43=ク
44=ケ
45=コ
46=サ
47=シ
48=ス
49=セ
4A=ソ
4B=タ
4C=チ
4D=ツ
4E=テ
4F=ト
50=ナ
51=ニ
52=ヌ
53=ネ
54=ノ
55=ハ
56=ヒ
57=フ
58=ヘ
59=ホ
5A=マ
5B=ミ
5C=ム
5D=メ
5E=モ
5F=ヤ
60=ユ
61=ヨ
62=ラ
63=リ
64=ル
65=レ
66=ロ
67=ワ
68=ン
69=ァ
6A=ィ
6B=ゥ
6C=ェ
6D=ォ
6E=ッ
6F=ャ
70=ュ
71=ョ
7A=B
7B=・
7C= 

FA=<L1>
F9=<L2>
F8=<clr>
FB=<init>
F7=<init2>
FD78=<newsec#1>
FD3c=<newsec#2>
FF78=<newbox#1>
FF3C=<newbox#2>
0000=<0000>
0100=<0100>

2C=<anim0>
2D=<anim1>
00=<e>
FE=<e2>

The way the text is stored:

1C571-1C5E8   Pointers (Main script)
1C5E9-1D4D9   Text (Main script)
1D4DA-1D4F9   Pointers (Isle Names)
1D4FA-1D55F   Text (Isle Names)
1D560-1FFFF   Empty Space (Repoint text here to your heart's content)

Pointers: low endian, 2b, +10000
Examples:
E9C5 > 1C5E9
32C6 > 1C632
B2D4 > 1D4B2

Cheats to test the game quickly:
If you press up, down, left, right, B, A, L, R, Y, then X, you can switch between all the inventions by pressing L and R during gameplay.

Useful RAM addresses:

7E051C   Frames until next character.
   Used in wait control code FD and FF too (values used normally are 78 and 3C frames, hex)
   Used for regular text speed (normally 04, set a write breakpoint to change that to 01 for faster text)

Another question, since the graphical compression was obviously figured out here (from the disassembly talk, or the title screen attempts here) that would be highly interesting in order to figure out that of Skyblazer and Hook, by the same developer. Does anyone studying this game care to share more about that compression scheme?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 05:53:49 pm »
The way the text is stored:

Yeah, I figured most of that out pretty quickly, which is how I got that test video up so fast. The text system isn't all that complicated, which is why I'm giving it a try. I just don't have as much free time as some others, so I might be late. :D The bit about speeding the text up sounds nice, though, I'll have a go at that.

Another question, since the graphical compression was obviously figured out here (from the disassembly talk, or the title screen attempts here) that would be highly interesting in order to figure out that of Skyblazer and Hook, by the same developer. Does anyone studying this game care to share more about that compression scheme?

I'm in the middle of figuring it out (time permitting) but the basic idea is that it uses two sources of data: one is a compression table, the other is a list of the uncompressed bytes.

The table works like this: each byte of VRAM is described with two bits - thus, each entry in the table describes four decompressed VRAM bytes. What I've figured out thus far is that 00 means uncompressed, so the routine uses the next byte from the list (the second source I mentioned); 01 means that byte is zero (00), and there's a lot of that, so it saves quite a bit of space. I haven't got to what 10 and 11 mean yet, gonna have a look now. Probably allows for repetition of data or something.

So the routine just goes through each byte in the table and assembles the VRAM one byte at a time. Quite simple, really. The decompression is irrelevant to me, of course: I can see the graphics in VRAM. I just need to understand it so that I can (possibly) compress the new title screen (if necessary). I drove myself mad doing this for EVERY SINGLE MENU in Super Bomberman 5, but since this is just the title screen, I won't mind doing it by hand. :D

At least four attempts, you say? I'm curious to know what other l33t h4x0r5 have turned their attention to this little game. :)

EDIT: okay, think I've got the compression routine down.
00   take normal byte from table
01   use 00
10   use FF
11   use 40
So I guess there's a lot of 00, FF and 40 in the graphics, so it's worth including this entire new table that takes up a quarter of the size of VRAM.
Also I sped through a full playthrough of the game from YouTube and thankfully the only Japanese appears to be: title screen, dialogue, menus, and a "The End" text after the credits (which are in English). Only unknown is the password system, since the between-levels menus mention passwords, though the title screen doesn't give the option of continuing - though the graphics for 'continue' are in the ROM.

EDIT2: I did my own text dump, it's complete, and unlike the other one, it renders the dakuten characters properly. :) There are a few bytes I left as-is but I don't think they're going to matter.

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/coolyskunk-textdump.zip

Thanks for the head's up on $7E051C! That'll make the text go double speed. I would've found it eventually, but nice to have a shortcut. Time for bed, but I'll have to get to work translating, it seems. :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:22:58 pm by Psyklax »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 09:58:17 pm »
Yeah, I know, I should finish certain other translations before I jump on a new one... but this looks easy! For real, this time! And it's of a game that just appeared out of nowhere and is getting a lot of attention, so I thought what the hell?

Here's what I have to show for it thus far:
https://youtu.be/4VVMfQpLwRw

Anybody wanna make a funky new title screen, or should I do it myself? :D Let's not get ahead of ourselves, better to get the main game done before waiting for titles. Still, feedback is welcome!
This is pretty cool. Are you also planning to hack the ROM for it to be able to work without the BS-X bios?

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 11:23:44 pm »
How about a version with the same localization changes as the PS1 game? You know, totally replacing the title screen, changing Badler's clothes to all black, etc.

Here's a playthrough of the Japanese PS1 game:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

And here's a playthrough of its localization:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 01:59:35 am »
This is pretty cool. Are you also planning to hack the ROM for it to be able to work without the BS-X bios?

It's already been done: the page announcing it had a link to a GitHub where the hacked ROM is. I think most people didn't bother to read the article and just went to the bottom where the untouched BS-X file was. :) (there was almost no changes though, so I suppose I could include it in my patch)

How about a version with the same localization changes as the PS1 game?

No, let's leave Cooly Skunk as it is, since people will want to play it as close to the original as possible. If people want to mess with it themselves, be my guest. :)

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 03:01:02 am »
It's already been done: the page announcing it had a link to a GitHub where the hacked ROM is. I think most people didn't bother to read the article and just went to the bottom where the untouched BS-X file was. :) (there was almost no changes though, so I suppose I could include it in my patch)
As a matter of fact, you're a bit wrong about it: i did get the Github hacked rom on release (besides reading the whole interesting story), which worked fine in conjunction with the BS save, but just a day later the Github was updated again with a fully independent ROM release. Now the circle is complete   8)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 03:54:27 am »
As a matter of fact, you're a bit wrong about it: i did get the Github hacked rom on release (besides reading the whole interesting story), which worked fine in conjunction with the BS save, but just a day later the Github was updated again with a fully independent ROM release. Now the circle is complete   8)

Well, I wouldn't say I was wrong: the fact that people are still asking about the BS-X BIOS etc made me assume that a lot of people didn't realise there was an .sfc version available. In any case, I compared it with the raw dump and there's almost no difference, so I'll include patches for all versions out there. :)

Also, apologies for anyone who downloaded the text dump: I used a wavy line instead of the standard line in katakana, which didn't work properly (it's like that in the game, but no excuse). I've fixed it now, so just re-download it from the same link.

EDIT: just a note to say that I've translated the entire game, but I'm not at home so you'll have to wait a few days before I can put it all together. I do still have a few uncertainties though, the biggest being the status bar - I'd really appreciate if someone could explain the problem there.

I have one or two translation queries too: there's a word "moguresu" which is obviously connected with moles you have a mole-like device and you're digging and there are moles... but I can't understand what specifically moguresu means. I went with "burrow" cause it kind of makes sense (I could just say "tunnel" cause it's simpler).

Also, I get the feeling that the island names are supposed to mean something, but not sure whether to just transliterate or localise. Read the dump to see them.

Other than that, there's just the title screen and "the end", and I don't fancy playing through the whole game just to see it but I might have to. :)

EDIT2: back home, and the whole game is translated and the text is in the game. 8) Of course I'll have to plough through the game to check that it's all in there correctly. With the status bar I decided to blank it out rather than bother to fiddle with it. You don't need to know what it says anyway, it doesn't help you.

I inserted 4lorn's new title into VRAM and it looks good, though it's a little different to the original so I'll need to mess around with the tilemap, but meanwhile I'm writing a compression routine to compress it and put it back in the ROM. I can't program but I understand 65816 assembly, so I'm using the SNES to do the compression. :D

Other than that, I think it's just the ending that I need to check out, which I'll see once I've played through the game. Apparently there's a password system, but I can't see how you can access it from the main menu. I know the game was put on Satellaview as a trial version rather than the full game, so it's possible that the main menu is missing the password option because they removed it. We'll see - maybe I'll release a version 1.1 once more is understood.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:25:50 pm by Psyklax »

Ice Man

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 08:06:42 am »
Pretty nice job! Can't wait to play it in English. The game really looks fun to me.

Also, couldn't "moguresu" be a mole trap?

Lazermutt4

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 01:12:18 pm »
I did a little digging after reading this thread, and found a brand of mole repellant called MOGURESU/モグレス.
https://www.rainbow-f.co.jp/product/detail/70

Not sure if this solves it or not, but it's a start.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 05:59:07 pm »
Pretty nice job! Can't wait to play it in English. The game really looks fun to me.

Also, couldn't "moguresu" be a mole trap?

I did a little digging after reading this thread, and found a brand of mole repellant called MOGURESU/モグレス.
https://www.rainbow-f.co.jp/product/detail/70

Not sure if this solves it or not, but it's a start.

No, I googled too. :) When there are any language issues, just remember that I'm just as capable of googling as you guys are, so I'm hoping for people who actually know Japanese (fellow translators). Anyway, forget it, it's a burrow for me now. :D

Little update, since there's some interest. The whole text is in the game, and I'm playing through it to make sure all is well (I already spotted a pointer problem because they put a line in the wrong order in the ROM for some reason, so that's fixed).

I've spent HOURS understanding how the title screen works. The compression was the easy part, but for some reason, instead of just putting the tilemap in the tons of space in the ROM and DMAing it over to VRAM, it goes through about five different processes before dribbling into VRAM bit by bit. Such a waste of time, but I like a challenge, so it's been educational. I'm very close to finally getting 4lorn's title pic in there (they extended it beyond the bottom of the existing title, requiring me to go nuts understanding how to extend the tilemap :D ).

Interesting revelation on the password system. There are two tilemaps for the start screen in the ROM: one that just says "start", as it does now, and one that says "start" and "continue". I found the instruction that points to the former, but I can't find the latter. This strengthens my belief that the password system was intentionally left out because it was supposed to be a demo of sorts. It'll be interesting if anyone finds a way to enable the passwords, but I'll just translate the text in the ROM that relates to it and leave it at that.

So, very little left to do. I've been hurrying a bit after hearing several others have tried to do it, so expect the final patch very soon. ;)

Also:
I did a little digging

Ha! :D

EDIT: just remembered, a note. I referred to the PS1 game for translation ideas, and noticed that Kelly and Nash's names were swapped - sensibly, since Kelly makes more sense as the girl rather than Nash. I went with the PS1 version.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:09:14 pm by Psyklax »

svambo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 06:12:15 pm »
... "the end", and I don't fancy playing through the whole game just to see it but I might have to. :)

If you test your hack with an emulator set 7E:1F35 to 05 and you can go to all stages on the map. Maybe this saves some time if you just want to check the ending ...

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 06:54:54 am »
Can't way to play this :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 09:53:31 am »
If you test your hack with an emulator set 7E:1F35 to 05 and you can go to all stages on the map. Maybe this saves some time if you just want to check the ending ...

Hey, good call! :thumbsup: I could've done it myself but it didn't cross my mind. Now I've checked the ending and discovered that the end text is compressed - even though there's an identical uncompressed one in the ROM. Ugh. I'm still trying my compressor but haven't had time to finish it.

Interestingly, the uncompressed text credits BPS with an earlier year, while the actual text credits Visit with 1996. I understood that BPS started the game but it was taken over by Visit. Might explain why there's a mix of compressed and uncompressed elements.

Can't way to play this :)

Thanks for your contribution! ;) I've got the tilemap done after lots of work, but as mentioned above, I'm still trying to get the compressed graphics into the ROM. Shouldn't be too long to wait, though. :)

EDIT: Ugh... so close. So close. :(

Anyway, here you are.

Everything is done: the title screen is in there, as you see, all the text is in there and has mostly been checked to the point where I'm confident that it's fine. There's just ONE problem: the way the game does the "oshimai/the end" text at the end means that I can't add a fifth letter (THEND) without taking another tile out of the code. It fits in the ROM, of course, but the game loads tiles in a particular way that means there's a 256 tile list that it refers to, and obviously the extra one I've added isn't in the list. I can change an existing tile, but the only way of knowing if it's used in the game somewhere is to play through the entire game and see if any tiles are never referenced. Ugh.

Well, the patch will get released very soon, but unless I can be sure that the game won't miss a particular tile, I'll have to use four letters. I could write BYE BYE, or put three letters on two tiles, so THE and END would be a bit squished. That last option is probably the easiest, so I might just go for it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:30:39 am by Psyklax »