News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Really in Need of a RYGAR NES Editor for Windows 10  (Read 921 times)

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Really in Need of a RYGAR NES Editor for Windows 10
« on: January 22, 2020, 05:30:46 pm »
I looked into the data base and only found an editor for Dos.

My boyfriend is really interested in me hacking this game and making a completely new game
with new levels.

I am looking to see if anyone is interested in taking up the task for creating a New RYGAR Nes Editor.

Or somehow Importing the DOS editor to work on Windows 10, because i am having some difficulty.

I would like to work on a Possible Rygar hack.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:46:52 pm by SkyLizardGirl »
Blaster Master Hacker

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Really in Need of a RYGAR NES Editor for Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 06:51:35 pm »
When it comes to editors, someone gotta be interested in making it.

But you can download DOSBox can configure it to work with DOS programs and such. Good luck on your Rygar hack. :)

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 10:11:26 pm »
What is Dos Box may i ask?  An how does it work exactly?

I am unsure what exactly this is.
Blaster Master Hacker

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:24:08 pm »
Here's a whole Wikipedia page that'll explain it. :)

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 04:03:04 pm »
It looks kinda complicated.
Blaster Master Hacker

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 05:40:25 pm »
I just tried it in DOSBox and can confirm that it works, and is quite simple too. I thought you'd be able to place enemies, but I assume Rygar doesn't work like that. You just choose from all the tiles available and place them in the game.

Here's a little package I just knocked up. Unzip it, click on the "Rygar Improvement.bat" file and you're away. ;)

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/rygarimp.zip

First you'll need your Rygar ROM (which I won't provide, of course :D ) and rename it rygar.nes. Then you put it in the folder with the program (which is in "hdd\rimp-101"), and when you run the editor it'll save your changes to rygarnew.nes (by default). Pretty simple. I suppose if you want to make more changes, you'll have to rename your files - so make sure you make lots of backups!

If the mods don't like me posting this link then I'll take it down, but I must stress that all that is in it is the Rygar Improvement editor and DOSBox SVN - I'll let the user find the ROM themselves.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 07:20:24 pm »
You could have a go at Spiin's CadEditor. It's a general propose program for editing NES maps in particular. It's been awhile since I looked at it, but you can tell it where the map data and tile data live, and it allows you to edit them from there. I don't see Rygar among the supported games yet, but there are a few other Tecmo titles in there.

I would love to see a Rygar hack that does away with the overhead levels and has better AI.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 10:12:00 pm »
Oh ok thank you.* I will try this.

I don't understand DOS Box,  I will try that Zip folder thing you mentioned.

It just seems like a really good casual game to hack and re-design levels for.

I mean it has a Leveling system similar to Zelda II where you get more powerful the more enemies you kill, that wasn't in many NES Games at the time.

January 25, 2020, 10:26:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

-----

I am trying out the program,

It seems really complicated and i am trying to understand it.

How do i save changes?

And can this thing edit doors?

-
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:37:26 pm by SkyLizardGirl »
Blaster Master Hacker

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 01:46:26 am »
It seems really complicated and i am trying to understand it.

How do i save changes?

And can this thing edit doors?

I already mentioned how it saves. :)

when you run the editor it'll save your changes to rygarnew.nes (by default). Pretty simple. I suppose if you want to make more changes, you'll have to rename your files - so make sure you make lots of backups!

As far as I can tell, you can edit doors, you'll just have to select one. Did you read the text file? It tells you everything, and it's the simplest editor I can imagine. The guy actually did a pretty good job, I'd say.

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 02:47:02 am »
Oh ok, I will read everything. I didn't see any read files.
I got to find them.

January 26, 2020, 08:33:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

The Editor feels really awkward and weird i cannot see everything i am trying to edit because it cuts the screen into 2 tiny parts and shifts everything over to another row.

It edits tiles in Vertical lines, it seems very limited for a level editor.

I think somebody could do better for this game.

I don't see anyone really hacking or taking advantage of the editor if it's so easy to understand here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:23:51 am by SkyLizardGirl »
Blaster Master Hacker

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 03:55:36 pm »
Just guessing by the appearance in the editor, the game stores map data in these vertical strips, each consisting of several tiles (looks like eight). It's a kind of macro / compression scheme, so that data can be reused and therefore consume less memory. If you want to make your own maps, you may have to find where the data for each vertical strip lives. More than likely, the number shown in the editor is an offset into an array of these strips. Your new maps will be made through some combination of rearranging the sequence of strips, as well as what tiles are in each strip. It's going to be tricky because the strips get reused, so changing one will change the map in potentially several places. Not necessarily as fun as what you had in mind, but a fair shake better than having no utility at all. Sometimes even level hacking is like building a ship in a bottle. I wish it were easier myself, but you also have to marvel at the ingenuity and elegance sometimes, for what people were able to accomplish on this platform.

As for the paucity of Rygar hacks, it was a fun game in its time, but some of the people who played this game have grandkids now. There are some brilliant people on the forum to help you, but expect it to feel like a post-apocalyptic quest, where you have to talk to everyone in town until you find the one old innkeeper who knows what your next move should be.

Oh ok, I will read everything. I didn't see any read files.
I got to find them.

January 26, 2020, 08:33:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

The Editor feels really awkward and weird i cannot see everything i am trying to edit because it cuts the screen into 2 tiny parts and shifts everything over to another row.

It edits tiles in Vertical lines, it seems very limited for a level editor.

I think somebody could do better for this game.

I don't see anyone really hacking or taking advantage of the editor if it's so easy to understand here.