News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Perils of Darkness is RELEASED! ( Go Download! :D )  (Read 57817 times)

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Perils of Darkness BETA TESTING (Post Feedback Here!)
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2020, 09:57:18 am »
In case you're still considering names.

Shadowland

Nightscape

Dark Dream

The Gloaming

Curse of the Sun

Dark Star
I think he's settled on the name.

nosynose

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2020, 04:14:11 am »
Come back soon and finalize this, The3Dude!

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2020, 03:00:58 pm »
Hello all! Yes I know it has been a LONG time since I last posted. I took a very big break. I started a YouTube channel where I do skits, and I tried my hand at learning Python, but while doing so I've had this nagging feeling to finish what I started. Which is this hack. I know now this hack may seem like old news now... But! Regardless, I am back to finish this hack. :D It will be finished!!! I'll start posting updates regularly again very soon.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for my disappearance. :angel:
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2020, 06:39:54 pm »
Your hacks are well worth the wait!  ;D

Any new surprises instore?
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2020, 06:44:20 pm »
Your hacks are well worth the wait!  ;D

Any new surprises instore?

Well, I'm currently trying to play through it again so I can find any lag rooms with too many enemies. I also took intk consideration what you said a couple months ago about the death theme and flute theme. Other than that, I still have an entire 2nd quest to create. ::) :laugh:
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2020, 12:46:34 am »
Ok cool. I'd also be interested to see what you've done with the location of Level 9.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2020, 12:42:36 am »
Well, I'm currently trying to play through it again so I can find any lag rooms with too many enemies. I also took intk consideration what you said a couple months ago about the death theme and flute theme. Other than that, I still have an entire 2nd quest to create. ::) :laugh:
Would you like me to do a run through to look for bugs and whatnot?

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2020, 12:42:13 pm »
Would you like me to do a run through to look for bugs and whatnot?

This is the situation so far, my school has been slowing me down. Some changes I made to Lvl 9 recently affected staircases of Lv7 and 8. So I had to go back and fix all the staircase passages. I also edited the ending and credits. Also have been testing for laggy rooms. I reaaally wanted to just finish Lv9 tho. But, those darn staircases...

Lex, I'll send you a beta once I finish making Lv9.
I'm almost back onto doing the Lvl 9 edits tho, progress is slowly coming back.
Luckily this is my last year of high school...
~The3Dude~

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2020, 02:41:19 am »
So,  :) I've gone back and touched up a few things for my first, "good" Zelda hack, Zelda: Link's Shadow. Changes are listed below along with updates to Perils of Darkness.

Updates to Zelda: Link's Shadow, Big graphics update! Cleaned up some outdated graphics and made the minimap easier on the eyes :laugh:
Here's some screenshots. You can compare these, with the screenshots on the item page https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3960/

Updates to Zelda: Perils of Darkness, fixed all corrupted staircases, changed the game over theme to the song of healing, changed the dying theme to sound more like OoT's dying theme. Still working on Lv9! :o
~The3Dude~

gzip

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2020, 10:16:44 am »
It's looking great! Looking forward to trying it out.

It may have been said before, but the grass texture is super distracting. It doesn't really hold up to the palette changes either (different inner and outer colors). Something to consider.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2020, 02:50:18 am »
It's looking great! Looking forward to trying it out.

It may have been said before, but the grass texture is super distracting. It doesn't really hold up to the palette changes either (different inner and outer colors). Something to consider.

I did consider it, but I feel it keeps the charm of my first hack if I keep it. :D

Also!

Everyone! I am entirely finished creating the 1st quest. Level-9 is complete and the entirety of Quest 1 has been tested. Now I just need to finish making quest 2!

~The3Dude~

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2020, 06:35:33 am »
While I agree that the grass is distracting and not so pleasing to look at, I think you're otherwise being quite creative in your spritework.
Keep it up, might be fun to check out :)

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2020, 06:43:44 am »
While I agree that the grass is distracting and not so pleasing to look at, I think you're otherwise being quite creative in your spritework.
Keep it up, might be fun to check out :)

The spritework that he was talking about was from my Link's Shadow hack. :laugh: Perils of darkness, my current hack, doesn't have the distracting grass. I wanted to keep the distracting grass on Link's Shadow because originally I put it there in 2018. And it was one of the things that stood out to me, lol.

Sorry for the confusion.
~The3Dude~

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2020, 07:06:28 am »
The spritework that he was talking about was from my Link's Shadow hack. :laugh: Perils of darkness, my current hack, doesn't have the distracting grass. I wanted to keep the distracting grass on Link's Shadow because originally I put it there in 2018. And it was one of the things that stood out to me, lol.

Sorry for the confusion.

Oh right, got it! :) My bad, I thought it was something you wanted to keep in this hack as well. Not that you shouldn't be able to of course, it's your work! But I should have paid closer attention to notice that it's actually not present in Perils of Darkness.

Looking forward to seeing the progress  :beer:

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2020, 08:59:33 am »
I did consider it, but I feel it keeps the charm of my first hack if I keep it. :D

Also!

Everyone! I am entirely finished creating the 1st quest. Level-9 is complete and the entirety of Quest 1 has been tested. Now I just need to finish making quest 2!

That's awesome. I'm looking forward to testing out.   Are you going to stick with the same themes for the 2nd Quest?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:43:21 am by ultimaweapon »

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2020, 12:15:42 pm »
That's awesome. I'm looking forward to testing out.   Are you going to stick with the same themes for the 2nd Quest?

Yes, but the 2nd quest will be more more linear, like trial of courage. The 2nd quest will have numbered dungeons. Would you like me to send you the patch with completed 1st quest?
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2020, 01:28:30 pm »
Yes, but the 2nd quest will be more more linear, like trial of courage. The 2nd quest will have numbered dungeons. Would you like me to send you the patch with completed 1st quest?

Absolutely. I'd like to test it out.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2020, 11:00:24 am »
Much progress has been made for Quest 2! :D

Let me first say some things about the differences between the quests.
The first quest is very accessible compared to the second. In quest 1, if you can even "enter" a dungeon, you are likely able to beat it. The Dungeons are NOT numbered, and the 4 starter dungeons are not hidden, they can be entered at any time. The other 4 dungeons all need special items to reach and/or beat them. And the dungeons have been adjusted in a way so that it feels balanced no matter what point in the game you are playing a certain dungeon. It's like Breath of the Wild's concept, but in Zelda 1.
The damage of items has been changed too (This is global, applies to quest 1 and 2). The sword is just slightly weaker making every enemy take 1 extra hit to die with it. Every enemy that was killed in 1 hit, now dies in 2 hits, minus the weaker enemies such as the keese bats. BUT, one HUGE exception! Your sword beams have the strength of the original sword. So, you will ALWAYS be stronger at full health.
If you've beaten Zelda 1, you should be able to beat the first quest of this hack, with a difficulty bar around that of Zelda Outlands.

Now for quest 2.
What was said about damage above, still applies to the 2nd quest.
Quest 2 is very strict compared to quest 1. In quest 2, the dungeons are numbered, and there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to beat the dungeons in a different order. At the start, instead of getting a sword at the beginning, you are greeted to a laughing old man that doesn't give you any hints.

It is up to the player to find Level-1 on their own. (I will include a quick-start guide for both quests, and hints for everything including heart pieces before release)
Every dungeon is locked needing a certain item to enter or beat it. The dungeons ALL have different locations from the first quest, if you go looking in the same places as a Quest 1 dungeon you may see someething like this.  :laugh:

Also, just for reference this is the progression I've come up with. Words in parenthesis are the dungeon items.
Lv1. Dark dungeon, NEED CANDLE TO ENTER (Bait)
Lv2. Water dungeon, NEED BAIT (RAFT, Boomerang)
Lv3. First LAVA dungeon, NEED RAFT( SWORD, BAIT, bomb upgrade)
Lv4. First Ice dungeon, NEED RAFT & BAIT (BRACELET, TRIDENT
Lv5. Second ice dungeon, NEEDS BRACELET ( LADDER, Blue MAIL, RED CANDLE)
Lv6. Second dark dungeon, NEEDS LADDER ( BOW, M.BOOM)
Lv7. Second LAVA dungeon, NEEDS BOW (ring of fire, OCARINA)
Lv8. Second WATER dungeon, NEEDS OCARINA (WHITE SWORD,RED MAIL)
Lv9. Sky Dungeon Needs Raft & All Pendants (ICE ARROW, Magic Sword, Magic Key) (Ultimate Test,/KEYS)

(might adjust that list)

Pretty much, if you want to beat the 2nd quest of this new hack, you must have atleast had the ability to beat Zelda Challenge: Outlands 2nd quest.
I am doing my best to make the 2nd quest an amazing challenge that can be beaten without feeling the need for savestates. The 2nd quest of my Link's Shadow hack for instance, IS POSSIBLE to get 0 deaths without savestates I've done it, but you need sooo many potions. :laugh: and you must know all the tricks, even using select to pause buffer. It was very frustrating without savestates. SO, I am being a little more generous this time. :happy:

Alright, now that I've gotten all that out of the way, here's the changelog.

1.Dying sounds like how it does in Ocarina of time.
2.The Song of healing is now the death theme, "The reason why is part of the story." Link plays this song on the brink of death, so he never truly dies.
3.The flute theme is now ALLTP's flute theme.
4.Removed some enemies in some rooms to reduce lag.
5.Adjusted the 2nd quest overworld caves, secrets, flute stairs, stepladder areas, and screens (2nd quest screen colors fix, PENDING).
6.Boomerangs no longer does small increments of damage due to the challenge that is the 2nd quest
7.Created some 2nd quest dungeons, The first 4 2nd quest dungeons are finished and touched up. 5 more to create before all I must do is touch up and optimize this hack.

Please let me know any thoughts or feedback. Or let me know if you'd like to test out quest 1 it is finished.
~The3Dude~

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2020, 03:38:16 pm »
Wow! Sounds like this is going to be really fun to  play. Can't wait!

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2020, 05:08:08 pm »
The 1st Quest was definitely enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the 2nd Quest.