News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Perils of Darkness BETA TESTING (Post Feedback Here!)  (Read 41399 times)

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: Zelda: Looming Darkness PROJECT (Will Take Suggestions)
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2020, 03:49:48 am »
That would be a relevant idea. The hint could change according to the number of dungeons completed, or certain items found, etc.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2020, 06:11:17 pm »
Ok, I can't decide. :-\

Should I use this palette for the Ice area? If I use this one, the hud text color doesn't get affected which is good, but it looks like daylight. Water and rocks also look more frozen which is cool.

Or this one, if I use this one the hud text color IS affected, but it fits the darker theme.

Please let me know. :o
~The3Dude~

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2020, 06:23:31 pm »

I like this one better, cause it looks gangsta. :D

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2020, 06:59:59 pm »
While the snowy one does look good, the darker one better fits the game, so go with that one. Save the snowy one for another hack.

You really only need 1 Money Making Game - 2 at most. So turning those to Caves that provide more hints is a good idea. Or those can be caves that you hide your heart pieces in.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2020, 03:56:43 am »
I agree, as well.
Plus you can just redraw the HUD text to use a different color anyway.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2020, 02:01:23 am »
Finally, after all this time, I finished making what seems to be the perfect overworld for this hack!  ;D

To balance the overworld as much as I could I hid about the same amount of hidden rupees, shops, door repairs (way less than the original actually), and gambling games as there are in the original. Often when hacks stray from the original balance it can get/seem uninspired at times. For instance, in The Legend of Link ROM hack, since the overworld was just a mirrored Link's Awakening map, all shops and places from Link's awakening that were originally unique, were replaced with an excessive amount of duplicate shops. That made me just assume every new building I saw was a shop, and I was right. :laugh:

Back to the point though, I wrote down a huge docs file with rules I followed when making the world, and I think it turned out well :D!
All I'm trying to say is that you won't get bored in this overworld. :laugh:

ABOUT HEART PIECES, I hid exactly 20 in the overworld, 3 are hidden in each dungeon, with the 4th dungeon piece always being gotten after defeating the dungeon boss.
So you start with 3 heart containers, every dungeon has 4 pieces total (except Lv9) and the overworld has 20 pieces making 5 more heart containers in total. Exactly enough heart pieces to get 16 containers.

Don't worry... if you're vigilant you will spot the cracked walls and the slightly different trees. :thumbsup:
There are also many spots that utilize the bracelet and ladder for secrets, even the ocarina so you can walk on water..... I added a couple extra raft spots too, because let's face it the raft is underused.

There are enemies unique to certain areas, such as whirlwind enemies. They are only on the Ice mountain, if you get caught in one you'll be blown back to the bottom of the mountain. (Can come in handy though!)

In the Lava area, there are red bubbles, so if you touch one you'll be forced to visit a fairy. Adds more dodging to that area. That's the thing, you can explore any part of this world first. Any dungeon you find early you can beat if you wan't but it will be difficult if you explore a more dangerous area first, You can play any style, hard areas first for the challenge, or slowly build up strength to take on the more difficult dungeons.

Oh yeah in the underwater area there are armos that are already awakened that chase you at fast speeds, every other underwater enemy is a slow type because they are underwater.

I even am trying to change the music currently too, it's very tedious. :banghead: :-[

Let me know what you guys think, please give me more ideas! All I gotta do left is create the rest of quest 1 dungeons then I'll need some beta testers! It's happening soon guys, thank the Coronavirus for this opportunity of so much free time. Can't work or go to high school... (Hope Covid ends soon... :o)

~The3Dude~

gzip

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2020, 03:21:17 am »
Back to the point though, I wrote down a huge docs file with rules I followed when making the world, and I think it turned out well :D!

Care to share the doc, or more details on what it contains?

ABOUT HEART PIECES, I hid exactly 20 in the overworld, 3 are hidden in each dungeon, with the 4th dungeon piece always being gotten after defeating the dungeon boss.

Sounds cool. Don't think I've seen that in a hack yet.

Don't worry... if you're vigilant you will spot the cracked walls and the slightly different trees. :thumbsup:

I was never a fan of cracked walls since it takes the fun out of finding the secrets. I see hacks resorting to walk thru walls more when they have this feature. I did always like the trick in alttp where you could tap on hollow walls with your sword.

There are also many spots that utilize the bracelet and ladder for secrets, even the ocarina so you can walk on water..... I added a couple extra raft spots too, because let's face it the raft is underused.

:thumbsup:

I even am trying to change the music currently too, it's very tedious. :banghead: :-[

What's your strategy here? We're sorely in need of tools in this area.

Let me know what you guys think, please give me more ideas

How about the different suits being required for different areas, ala botw? Blue for ice, red for lava. Hearts tick away if you don't have them but you can still get a few places by having just enough hearts and using potions.

I'd be happy to test when you're ready.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2020, 09:31:32 am »
How about the different suits being required for different areas, ala botw? Blue for ice, red for lava. Hearts tick away if you don't have them but you can still get a few places by having just enough hearts and using potions.

I want every area explorable from start just like original Zelda 1, besides that would be way too difficult to code in :-[ :laugh: ::)      Anyways there are slightly harder enemies in more treacherous areas though, so that kinda is the same idea simplified

Care to share the doc, or more details on what it contains?

Sure! :D Here's an edited for viewers version.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Sze0w4C2FSBTgsc_01OF_R3QBaIwdu7lBG8oDfdySs/edit?usp=sharing

I was never a fan of cracked walls since it takes the fun out of finding the secrets. I see hacks resorting to walk thru walls more when they have this feature. I did always like the trick in alttp where you could tap on hollow walls with your sword.

Hmm... Didn't think of that, I feel like removing them now :laugh:, I could leave it as a custom add-on patch though?

About music, I'm looking at this to do it, https://www.romhacking.net/documents/781/ Been doing it all through HEX. Super tedious! :banghead:

About being a tester, Great! I'll PM you when it's the time. :thumbsup:
~The3Dude~

gzip

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2020, 12:54:52 pm »
Sure! :D Here's an edited for viewers version.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18Sze0w4C2FSBTgsc_01OF_R3QBaIwdu7lBG8oDfdySs/edit?usp=sharing

It's a nice doc. You should post it to the documents section.

Hmm... Didn't think of that, I feel like removing them now :laugh:, I could leave it as a custom add-on patch though?

Don't throw away your hard work. Optional makes everyone happy. It also allows others to easily use it in their hacks.

About music, I'm looking at this to do it, https://www.romhacking.net/documents/781/ Been doing it all through HEX. Super tedious! :banghead:

Yes, I've taken a stab at it a few times and have had some success. Nothing worth keeping. There gotta be a better way.

The Triforce Power hack changes dungeon music to alttp (music is credited to Matrixz), that's the best I've seen yet. Wonder if he used any tricks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:06:06 pm by gzip »

mdtauk

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2020, 04:27:12 pm »

Some of the colour palettes seem a little too monotoned, I know the theme is darkness, but have you explored combining colour tones which give a dark oppressive feel, without entirely being blue?

These are a little better.  Of course the NES Palette is quite limiting.  If the HUD palette is getting in the way, you could go for black and white only for those elements.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2020, 04:37:52 pm »
Finally, after all this time, I finished making what seems to be the perfect overworld for this hack!  ;D

To balance the overworld as much as I could I hid about the same amount of hidden rupees, shops, door repairs (way less than the original actually), and gambling games as there are in the original. Often when hacks stray from the original balance it can get/seem uninspired at times. For instance, in The Legend of Link ROM hack, since the overworld was just a mirrored Link's Awakening map, all shops and places from Link's awakening that were originally unique, were replaced with an excessive amount of duplicate shops. That made me just assume every new building I saw was a shop, and I was right. :laugh:

All I'm trying to say is that you won't get bored in this overworld. :laugh:

So you start with 3 heart containers, every dungeon has 4 pieces total (except Lv9) and the overworld has 20 pieces making 5 more heart containers in total. Exactly enough heart pieces to get 16 containers.

There are enemies unique to certain areas, such as whirlwind enemies. They are only on the Ice mountain, if you get caught in one you'll be blown back to the bottom of the mountain. (Can come in handy though!)

In the Lava area, there are red bubbles, so if you touch one you'll be forced to visit a fairy. Adds more dodging to that area. That's the thing, you can explore any part of this world first. Any dungeon you find early you can beat if you wan't but it will be difficult if you explore a more dangerous area first, You can play any style, hard areas first for the challenge, or slowly build up strength to take on the more difficult dungeons.

Oh yeah in the underwater area there are armos that are already awakened that chase you at fast speeds, every other underwater enemy is a slow type because they are underwater.

Let me know what you guys think, please give me more ideas! All I gotta do left is create the rest of quest 1 dungeons then I'll need some beta testers! It's happening soon guys, thank the Coronavirus for this opportunity of so much free time. Can't work or go to high school... (Hope Covid ends soon... :o)

Seems like good ideas.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2020, 04:55:19 pm »

Some of the colour palettes seem a little too monotoned, I know the theme is darkness, but have you explored combining colour tones which give a dark oppressive feel, without entirely being blue?

These are a little better.  Of course the NES Palette is quite limiting.  If the HUD palette is getting in the way, you could go for black and white only for those elements.

These are the current palettes. Those blue area you showed me specifically is the ice area.
To clear up any confusion, these are the palettes.

LAND

LAVA

SNOW MNT

UNDERWATER

~The3Dude~

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2020, 06:42:57 pm »
Loving the pics, bro. :D

Makes me wanna pick up my Zelda hack now, this is awesome progress. :thumbsup:

mdtauk

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2020, 07:40:20 pm »
The NES Palettes don't make it easy.  If only as part of moving from screen to screen, it could switch palettes.  That way you could have more variation.

These are not brilliant, but I tried to mix up some of the colours and shades.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2020, 08:35:44 pm »
There are still a lot of LA visual elements...

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2020, 08:49:26 pm »
The NES Palettes don't make it easy.  If only as part of moving from screen to screen, it could switch palettes.  That way you could have more variation.

These are not brilliant, but I tried to mix up some of the colours and shades.

I like the colors you used for the floor in the lava area, I might change that out of all of them. I'm trying to keep the snow areas floor a whiter color so it can look like snow is on the ground, so I won't use that blue.
I like the purple floor more for the land too, but the floor palette for undersea does look better.

I'll put pics up when I edit the colors again. (Which will br soon) :thumbsup:

There are still a lot of LA visual elements...

Really? :-\

The rocks, the trees, and the stairs are BS Zelda styled. The enemies are too. The only slightly LA graphics I have is Link's sprite. Even the items are styled after BS Zelda.

What looks LA to you? I am trying to avoid it.

Please let me know.
~The3Dude~

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2020, 09:24:42 pm »
Hmmm, yeah, it does look like BS Zelda. Which is nice. All screenshots looks good to me. I suggest to be careful with the colors that are part of the normal ground. Make sure there's not too much constrast between the colors. A gritty pattern for the ground can be distracting to the eye.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2020, 11:32:09 pm »
Colors 2.0

LAVA (updated floor colors) It will always be the brightest area because of the lava illuminating everything.

SNOW (Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier, now it looks like snow is layered on all the rocks and trees!

LAND (Brighter Green)

UNDERWATER (slightly modified version of mdtauk's image above)

Better now? :D ;D
~The3Dude~

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2020, 05:50:59 am »
LAVA - I think it'll look better with more of a yellow-orange floor.

SNOW - Looks great!

LAND - Something seems off, though I like the green in it.
Maybe a bit too close to the underwater palette and doesn't feel dark enough for the theme of darkness.

UNDERWATER - I like the original better, but at the very least I think the floor color needs to be a lighter tint of cyan. The different blue tones in the original really sell the underwater feel for me.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2020, 01:16:54 pm »
LAVA - I think it'll look better with more of a yellow-orange floor.

SNOW - Looks great!

LAND - Something seems off, though I like the green in it.
Maybe a bit too close to the underwater palette and doesn't feel dark enough for the theme of darkness.

UNDERWATER - I like the original better, but at the very least I think the floor color needs to be a lighter tint of cyan. The different blue tones in the original really sell the underwater feel for me.

Alright, for land instead I'm making it look like these. I'll call that area the corrupted area, because darkness is totally covering it already. Looks way better anyways.

Unless this is better for the LAND colors.

For Lava here's this.

And for water, I reverted it back to the original, in my opinion it looks better too.

Lol, I'm never gonna forget coming up with the colors for this hack. :laugh:

EDIT: This for lava looks cool too, makes the rocks look charred from heat.

EDIT 2: This looks as orange as it can be.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:28:39 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~