News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Looming Darkness PROJECT (Will Take Suggestions)  (Read 10808 times)

The3Dude

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Looming Darkness PROJECT (Will Take Suggestions)
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 01:15:53 pm »
Thank you ultima for the tips. 8)

I have been working on the dungeons graphics and bombable walls here's what I did so far.

This is what a bombable wall looks like in the overworld

Burnable bush: The wood is darker than other trees very subtle, but that's the idea.

Dungeon cracked walls. As you can see the graphics are based entirely off of ALTTP's dungeon graphics.

Still working on the dungeons a little more, and for the overworld, I left secret armos and pushable rocks the same because they aren't as time consuming to look for as secret pushes and bombable walls.
~The3Dude~

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 12:53:43 am »
Nice! I dig those new dungeon graphics!

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2020, 12:35:24 am »
Amazing work thus far.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2020, 11:23:43 am »
Love the new cracked wall graphics there, those make it much easier to tell which walls you can destroy in the game.

Not sure about the tree ones though. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't see a difference between the burnable and non burnable ones at all, whether on my phone or desktop computer. If you can vary the palette a bit more, that'd help a lot!

Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2020, 11:34:09 am »
Love the new cracked wall graphics there, those make it much easier to tell which walls you can destroy in the game.

Not sure about the tree ones though. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't see a difference between the burnable and non burnable ones at all, whether on my phone or desktop computer. If you can vary the palette a bit more, that'd help a lot!

Alright, I just updated the sprite I took off the small tip leaf on the burnable tree. But look at the trunk of the tree, it is darker than all the other ones.
~The3Dude~

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2020, 08:27:04 pm »
The3Dude, if you intend to have 2 quests to your hack, your trick with the cracked walls and other secret tiles may break on the Overworld. It gave us some trouble in the Redux hack, so you may want to check it out on the Zelda 1 Redux thread.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2020, 09:47:37 pm »
Actually I want to leave the cracked walls in for both quests. That way it makes the player remember any suspicious cracks that couldn't be opened in one quest can be in the other quest.

I'll have an old man hint at remembering cracked walls that only can be opened in quest 2.

March 26, 2020, 06:39:15 pm - (Auto Merged - I needed to say this :laugh:.)
Here's a big list of changes and what I've come up with. :D

1. Dungeon items, and what's needed to explore/discover a dungeon.

Lv1. First land dungeon, enter any time (Boomerang)
Lv2. First Fire dungeon, enter any time (Bow, Bomb upgrade)
Lv3. First water dungeon, enter any time (Bracelet)
Lv4. First Ice dungeon, enter any time (Blue candle)
Lv5. Second ice dungeon, Needs Ocarina ( Raft, Bomb upgrade)
Lv6. Second Land dungeon, Needs candle (Ocarina, Book)
Lv7. Second Water dungeon, Needs Raft ( Blue Tunic, Bomb upgrade, Silver arrow )
Lv8. Second fire dungeon, Needs Bracelet ( Ladder, Red Candle)
Lv9. (Red Tunic, Magic Key)

As you can see the 1st type of dungeon from each area can be entered from the start of the game, but the 2nd type needs a specific item to enter. So if you really wanted to you could go to Lv4 as your first dungeon then Lv6 after, or even Lv3 to Lv8. The dungeons won't be labeled Level 1 through 8 instead there will be symbols for what dungeon you are in. Like The first water dungeon won't be called Level-3 it would be called Level- (insert symbol here).

2. Overworld cave items.

Wood sword cave= Sword
White sword cave= Rod
Magic sword cave= Magic sword
Letter cave= Bait
shop 1  Bomb, heart, Key
Shop2  Heart, Blue potion, Red Potion
Shop3 Sword license, bomb, key
shop 4 Arrow, M Shield, M boom
Letter shop= White sword, Bait, Cheaper Red Potion

3. I'm utilizing unused enemies in the overworld such as the whirlwind enemies. Yes WHIRLWIND ENEMIES! There is a lost woods type section in the ice part of the world with strong winds. If the wind catches you you'll be blown back to the start. So you must dodge.

4. Dungeons graphics complete, and Boss Health.

shadows under doorways, made separate graphics for it.
Boss health has been changed aquamentus now takes 16 hits to defeat instead of 6, now it feels like a boss fight.

I would love opinions on these. ::)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:40:53 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2020, 12:04:57 am »
Everything sounds great so far. Amazing graphics work. Looking forward to beta testing it once you get to that point! ;-)
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2020, 12:55:09 pm »
I would love opinions on these. ::)

You've nearly tripled the health of the boss? That's very extreme. :o
Keep in mind that the swordplay and offensive movement in Zelda 1 is already very limited and repetitive.
Simply buffing enemies and making them tanks won't make the boss fights more fun.

I've tried communicating this to you earlier. If you want most people to really enjoy this hack, you need to come from a perspective of fun.
Buffing repetitive enemies isn't more fun. It's more challenging, but not in a fun and creative way. It's more annoying to have to hit something in the exact same manner for almost triple the amount of times as originally necessary.

It won't feel more like a boss fight. At least it won't be anymore fun than the original boss fight. It will just be more tedious.

But please keep in mind, every aspect you add in really needs to add to the fun and enjoyment factor of the game. If you want to increase the challenge, make it a worthwhile and creative challenge. Not a slog.
Avoid the pitfalls most romhacks fall into; difficult for the sake of difficulty. They're usually not the ones people love and remember.
I wouldn't be saying this is I didn't think you had something special going here.  :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:02:26 pm by ifightdragons »

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2020, 03:48:35 pm »
Thank you for feedback.

The first boss is too easy most of the time anyways and he reappears in later dungeon making him a 2 hit kill with the best sword. I'll lower his health though like you asked, but I'll make him 12 hits to kill instead of 6.

Please continue to let me know your thoughts and ideas. I will take what you said about fun to heart.

But at the same time. I want the player to feel reward when going through a dungeon. 6 hits is too easy and always has been, most people playing this hack have already beaten Zelda 1 and know how to beat the first boss so I want to make him slightly harder than usual.

I will do my best to make it enjoyable. This dungeon can be entered in a random order so I'm trying to balance the difficulty, in case a dungeon with this boss is entered at a later time.

Please continue to send me any thoughts and feedback I appreciate all.
~The3Dude~

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2020, 08:42:13 pm »
I understand ifightdragons's point, and I agree that fighting mechanics in Zelda 1 are limited. Compare to Zelda II, which is the complete opposite. But I'm also in the "harder is better" team, so making it hard is a welcome endeavor. But, it has to be adequate difficulty. What should make fights more interesting in Zelda 1 is the use of items. Could we make the boomerang essential to kill him? It's the first dungeon item, so it makes sense.

Aquamentus is as challenging as one would expect of a 1st dungeon boss, but if you have the Magical Shield, then he's almost no threat at all. My suggestions to make him more threatening :

- Totally unblockable energy balls.
- Variable angles for energy balls.
- Variable number of energy balls per attack.
- Could he spit fire? That would be cool.
- To make him vulnerable to the sword, you need to first hit him with your boomerang, but only on the return of the round-trip.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2020, 03:57:43 pm »
I agree that incorporating items into the Aquamentus fight would go a long way to making it more fun and engaging.

To keep with the spirit of the game in general, I'd have at least 2 or 3 items be useful since you don't know which ones the player might have at any given time.

Also, I'd try really hard to figure out a way to either replace the 2nd fight or make it different somehow.
Of course, that would take some bit of ASM to accomplish.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2020, 12:21:11 am »
This is looking really good!

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2020, 04:43:21 am »
UPDATE!

Pieces of Heart now replace Heart Containers. Once you find 4 of them a Heart Container is added.

Adds a new layer of exploration to the overworld!

There is a counter for how many you've collected on the hud now. It resets back to 0 after collecting 4.

Thanks to bogaabogaa for the making the ASM for me. Super grateful to him, he'll be in credits for sure!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:50:09 am by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2020, 06:18:05 am »
Is it possible to hide that many heart pieces? May be Half a heart would fit the hack better. You just need to change were it compares to the number 04 and every things else works automatically.

It is funny how you "find" sources of information all over the place after a while. Like here a partial described disassembly of the PRG0 ROM (http://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda1).

By now I could add some stuff to it. Sometimes I wonder why people investing a lot of time researching a old dump when there is a revision (PRG1)

CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2020, 11:59:51 am »
Is it possible to hide that many heart pieces? May be Half a heart would fit the hack better. You just need to change were it compares to the number 04 and every things else works automatically.

It is funny how you "find" sources of information all over the place after a while. Like here a partial described disassembly of the PRG0 ROM (http://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda1).

By now I could add some stuff to it. Sometimes I wonder why people investing a lot of time researching a old dump when there is a revision (PRG1)

I'll remember that in case it does get redundant.

There are 128 screens in the over world, I can use 44 screens to hide heart pieces. And every dungeon will have a piece. If that seems like too many pieces on the overworld, I can hide 2 pieces in every dungeon except 9.
Then you'd only have to find 36 in the overworld.

One thing is for sure though. More heart pieces will definitely be more rewarding than the Pay for Door troll caves :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:08:14 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2020, 03:18:41 pm »
Yes. Replacing the door trolls would be a great thing.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2020, 09:35:37 pm »
I'd use the Door Trolls dialog pointers for more hints and advices. Also, will you remove the money-making game caves?

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2020, 09:45:33 pm »
I'd use the Door Trolls dialog pointers for more hints and advices. Also, will you remove the money-making game caves?

I might just have 1 in the entire game. If I do get rid of them what should I replace it with?
~The3Dude~

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2020, 04:41:05 am »
Fortune teller that gives increasingly expensive hints maybe?