News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Perils of Darkness is RELEASED! ( Go Download! :D )  (Read 56427 times)

The3Dude

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Perils of Darkness READY FOR RELEASE!
« Reply #160 on: October 10, 2020, 04:02:09 am »
 :laugh:
It's Finished! :woot!: :crazy:

I'd like to thank everyone in the credits listed in the screenshots below.

After 9 long months, I just finished touching up the 2nd quest and adding the credits. I had a goal to make one final Zelda 1 hack that would outdo my last two extensive ones, and I feel like I have done so. I put my whole heart into this hack, and did my best to push the limits of this game without straying too far from the original formula. Tricks I never have tried before have been used in this hack, such as tricks with the palettes used in game. Every aspect of Zelda 1 has been emphasized with dungeons based on the mechanics of the game. For instance, one dungeon is a maze of bombable walls, one is a maze of walk-through walls, and one being filled with secret passages...
I am very happy and kinda sad that I'm done... I have learned so much since my first hack, "CXSZELDA" back in 2016... I didn't even make a dungeon yet back then! You may not know, but in 2016 through 2018 I only had a Chromebook to work with, so I found a website that could run Windows 7 through the browser. I only had a 30 minute time limit to use Windows and at times the website would crash... deleting my last 30 mins of work. It was an endless loop of saving to google drive and starting the 30 min session over and over. I had to plan everything I was gonna do over a single 30 minute session! I'll never forget that :laugh:. That taught me that anything can be done if you apply yourself the right way. Luckily though, as of 2019 I bought myself a Windows 10 PC! So, no more 30 minute time limit anymore :D.
But now in late 2020 "What a long year  :o ", I have made 54 dungeons in Zelda 1, and six unique quests. I made this hack for every fan of the original game, and I hope you'll enjoy it... I know this isn't much of a life achievement per-say :laugh:, but I am happy to have brought joy to many fans who want to experience the nostalgia of this beautiful classic. To be honest, I don't even know why this game, Zelda 1", stuck out to me so much that I wanted to learn to hack it... perhaps it was the challenge of not knowing where to go. This game was so mysterious compared to the other Zelda games I played up to that point. But even so, I never beat Zelda 1 until 2014, and I am only 17 currently. :laugh: Dunno what got through my head. :o

Ok though, enough heart to heart, time for some update info. I have made numerous changes to so much in so little time, and have tested EVERY dungeon, "and stairway after Lex let me in on a bug he found" for bugs. I am so happy to announce that I am ready to release this, probably by tomorrow. I need to make an extensive manual with hints and more as I've done with "Trial of Courage", before release. I just want to say, to everyone that has played my hacks before and liked the difficulty, the 2nd quest will be very much enjoyed and makes this hack truly be worthy of the title Perils of Darkness. It is a challenge for the Zelda veterans out there, and can be beaten with 0 deaths and 0 savestates... I've done it and yeesh, I gotta tell you. I highly recommend not skipping quest 2. In my opinion it is better than quest 1.

Also, Thank you all for your patience, and thank you to the ROMhacking community for inspiring me to learn how to hack. None of my hacks would've been here without you. Especially snarfblam! His tools have saved me more time than I can even care to think about :o, truly remarkable hacking tools man. :thumbsup:

Any questions feel free to ask. :beer:
~The3Dude~

erpster2

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Perils of Darkness BETA TESTING (Post Feedback Here!)
« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2020, 04:09:59 am »
now we just need to wait for a final or official release of this game posted on the main RH site and I will try the final version in a few days since I didn't get a chance to beta test this while it was in beta because I had been busy for a while with other stuff

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2020, 04:14:41 am »
now we just need to wait for a final or official release of this game posted on the main RH site and I will try the final version in a few days since I didn't get a chance to beta test this while it was in beta because I had been busy for a while with other stuff

All good man! :D At least you didn't take a 2-month break from hacking this as I did. That's another thing. Sorry to all my testers for going off the grid without notice back in August :laugh:
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2020, 11:01:25 am »
The important thing is that you took the time, you learned, and you poured your heart into something you enjoyed to do. Now, you're at the finish line. Take a bow!  ;)

I'm sure this hack will top the cake of everything you've done so far, and I'm looking forward to it.

17! Sheesh! Sometimes, I forget how young you are! Then again, I'm probably one of the oldest people here!  :laugh:
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2020, 01:22:15 pm »
The important thing is that you took the time, you learned, and you poured your heart into something you enjoyed to do. Now, you're at the finish line. Take a bow!  ;)

I'm sure this hack will top the cake of everything you've done so far, and I'm looking forward to it.

17! Sheesh! Sometimes, I forget how young you are! Then again, I'm probably one of the oldest people here!  :laugh:

Haha! Thanks ultima! And yes, sometimes I feel like everyone has way more experience than me when hacking  :laugh: ... You've been a valued reviewer ans tester, remember I even named the silver arrows, ultima arrows after you in my last hack because of that. :D

Edit:

It's officially released!

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5455/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:51:56 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2020, 07:19:42 pm »
It's gone live. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5455/

EDIT;
Oops... didn't see your edit. LOL!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 07:41:23 pm by lexluthermiester »

nosynose

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Perils of Darkness READY FOR RELEASE!
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2020, 05:42:28 am »
:laugh:
It's Finished! :woot!: :crazy:
But now in late 2020 "What a long year  :o ", I have made 54 dungeons in Zelda 1, and six unique quests. I made this hack for every fan of the original game, and I hope you'll enjoy it... I know this isn't much of a life achievement per-say :laugh:, but I am happy to have brought joy to many fans who want to experience the nostalgia of this beautiful classic.
Congratz! You did it!
For me it is definitely a life achievement! :thumbsup:
I am not the one to play romhacks with hard difficulties, but this I'll give it a try. When I have the time, though.:D
Thank you for completing this.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2020, 06:48:35 am »
Congratulations for finishing this. Surely it is an achievement. Working on a project and sticking with it until it's finished, is something to be proud about! I'll put this hack on my to-play list. It looks pretty amazing!  :)

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2020, 12:57:19 pm »
Thanks you guys. I appreciate the support :D
~The3Dude~

erpster2

• View Profile
Re: Zelda: Perils of Darkness is RELEASED! ( Go Download! :D )
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2020, 04:46:14 pm »
downloaded & played the final release a few days ago and have finished the 1st quest 100% (that means finding & collecting all the items including all heart pieces in the overworld & underworld)

I'll begin playing the 2nd quest later this afternoon or evening  :)

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2020, 05:21:24 pm »
downloaded & played the final release a few days ago and have finished the 1st quest 100% (that means finding & collecting all the items including all heart pieces in the overworld & underworld)

I'll begin playing the 2nd quest later this afternoon or evening  :)

Great job man! If you believe in your skills, you'll beat quest 2 also.  >:D

Just know that because those were my last dungeons I'm probably ever going to make for a Zelda 1 hack, "If it's my own release" I went ALL out with everything. I didn't go overboard though, I have beaten it without savestates and a 0 death save file like I said in a recent post. So it doesn't REQUIRE savestates. But be warned, it is hard and you must get a candle before doing anything else.
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2020, 05:52:49 pm »
Great job man! If you believe in your skills, you'll beat quest 2 also.  >:D

Just know that because those were my last dungeons I'm probably ever going to make for a Zelda 1 hack, "If it's my own release" I went ALL out with everything. I didn't go overboard though, I have beaten it without savestates and a 0 death save file like I said in a recent post. So it doesn't REQUIRE savestates. But be warned, it is hard and you must get a candle before doing anything else.

I must tell you that you almost made me rage quit. I'll send you a pm to explain why. Overall, it was good. There are a few things that could use some tweaks, and I'll explain in the pm.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2020, 09:49:59 pm »
V1.1 - Difficulty Update: Though there were no complaints on the difficulty, I was feeling generous enough to make an
       Easy mode, AND a Hard mode. With easy mode, even your baby sister can beat this hack! With Hard mode, you'll truly
       be challenged the ultimate Zelda test. Touched up some hints, and made tektites health lower so they can be killed in 1 hit again. This was done to
       prevent them from teleporting when hit by the wood sword. Even boomerangs kill them now!
       (Read the "Choosing your difficulty" text file included in the zip for difficulty differences)

Still in queue status, so be patient :angel:
~The3Dude~

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2020, 03:23:06 am »
V1.1 - Difficulty Update: Though there were no complaints on the difficulty, I was feeling generous enough to make an
       Easy mode, AND a Hard mode. With easy mode, even your baby sister can beat this hack! With Hard mode, you'll truly
       be challenged the ultimate Zelda test. Touched up some hints, and made tektites health lower so they can be killed in 1 hit again. This was done to
       prevent them from teleporting when hit by the wood sword. Even boomerangs kill them now!
       (Read the "Choosing your difficulty" text file included in the zip for difficulty differences)

Still in queue status, so be patient :angel:
It's live. Looks good too!

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2020, 09:56:51 am »
Thanks Lex! :D That was fast. :laugh:
~The3Dude~

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2020, 03:39:35 pm »
I will take a little bit of a break and then go back to play your hardest mode.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2020, 04:46:20 pm »
I will take a little bit of a break and then go back to play your hardest mode.

:o >:D Prepare yourself ;D

EDIT!
V1.2 - MAJOR BUGFIX:

1. As of V1.1 a new bug surfaced when I changed the tektites health. It seems their health is connected to other enemies health.
This caused Blue Leevers and Blue Darknuts to die in one hit for all modes! OOPS! This has been fixed.
Sadly this means Tektites will have to stay spazzy. :(     

2. Made every difficulty have Link's expression different in the artwork at the end of the item list, in the title screen.

3. Made Hard mode even harder. >:D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:15:07 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

Sam Atoms

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2020, 04:50:24 pm »
Hey, congratulations on getting this finished and released, The3Dude!

I started a YouTube channel where I do skits, and I tried my hand at learning Python, but while doing so I've had this nagging feeling to finish what I started.

I'm in full agreement on the Python part here.  It's a big chip for any industrial outfit that's involved in programming, software development, IT, etc.  In fact out of all the programming languages out there, if you had to learn only one of them I would put Python above the rest.