News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NES Contra Hardest Mode  (Read 621 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
NES Contra Hardest Mode
« on: January 18, 2020, 05:24:57 pm »
Just released a very small hack. Creating this thread for it.

This is the official hardest mode by Konami.
If you're tired of beating Contra with your eyes closed, or tired of beating the game 6 times in a row just to get to the harder levels, I've made this hack for you. Every loop is the hardest possible version of the game. The final level is especially difficult. I won't get into details, but I get the feeling that it's the way the last level was originally intended to be played, then it was toned down by the devs during testing.

It's for the japanese version only, compatible with the translation. It also features the camera fix for 2 players mode discovered by dougeff.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4884/

RAM location $31 counts the loops. At first I just set this to a high value on each loop, but this breaks the flag counting on the helicopter at the end. Then I reverted that and went through the game's code to replace the reads from $31 with hard set values on a case by case basis. There were only about 7 or 8 occurrences. Usually they were only comparing $31 to 0, 4, or 6. There was one case where it added to another value, I'm not sure what for. I made it so it added to a high value instead of overflowing to a low value.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:43:05 pm by nesrocks »

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
Re: NES Contra Hardest Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 05:16:12 am »
Cool, this seems really interesing

SkyLizardGirl

• Flooower
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:29:37 am »
I did like contra, even the original game i find it very hard and i die a-lot.

I will try this one out anyways, it sounds good.
Blaster Master Hacker

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 09:37:52 pm »
What does the camera fix do?

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 10:07:36 pm »
In some konami games, in 2 players mode, the scroll only happens when one of the players gets very close to the right edge of the screen. This was probably done to allow players to move around more freely on the screen.
It creates a huge problem though with the enemies suddenly appearing and killing one of the heroes. In Contra, this problem is only present in 2 players mode, so the idea is to match it to the camera featured in 1 player mode.

edit: better wording.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:14:45 am by nesrocks »

vhr2121

• Vincent Hernandez! Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
    • Vincent's Hidden Gaming Place
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 05:46:40 pm »
I played this hack by myself and with a friend. Gotta say this was pretty neat. I did not really think about beating the game THAT many times just to play it on the hardest difficulty. And the last level... Oh man now I know why you said that. It's a bit evil, especially when playing 2P mode.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 06:31:03 pm »
Really cool, huh? I think that to make this hack perfect would be to add a difficulty selector on the title screen. Not terribly hard to do, but I don't have a lot of time to do that right now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:20:55 pm by nesrocks »