News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Wanting to translate a ps1 game but looking for the right tools  (Read 878 times)

comicmaster140

• I hate you all and go fuck yourself
    • View Profile
    • Personal website
Wanting to translate a ps1 game but looking for the right tools
« on: January 11, 2020, 04:53:03 pm »
I want translate megami ibunroku persona but looking for the best hex editor or tools to do so. Can anyone help.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Wanting to translate a ps1 game but looking for the right tools
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 10:28:05 am »
A hex editor is not a good tool for ROM hacking. They can do small changes and might help you figure out a format but if it gets beyond the point where you can keep everything you have to do in your head then you are using the wrong tool.

The Persona series might have some tools available for it as it is rather popular. That said if you did not find any during your search then they probably don't exist (yet) -- there tend not to be hidden tools known only to a handful of people in ROM hacking as most things get spread around quite well.

I should also ask what language? Depending upon what you want to go to then you may need some additional hacks; other Asian languages, middle Eastern ones and even some European ones need more work than you are likely to see a tool for.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting to translate a ps1 game but looking for the right tools
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 10:57:53 pm »
Do you remember posting a thread about this six months ago?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28466

Because the tools that were available then are the same as the tools that are available now.

Are you just trying to re-translate this game from Japanese to English?  Because the Persona series is phenomenally popular and by now I expect many people with much more experience have already considered the problem.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!