Super Mario All-Stars Redrawn ( SMB2 Demo now available in OP )

Started by pocket, January 10, 2020, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamingcat02261991

You're doing an excellent job, in spite of the project being on hold.

Dr.Beanz

This looks absolutely amazing and I hope to be able to play it soon:)

FireBrandWhip

#602
I am very impressed!

One suggestion though, the wings on the parakoopas and the finss on the cheap-cheaps should be a little bit rounder. Especially if you're going by a picture design which you're doing fantastic!

By the way I like the manly gay birdo (birdo is gay, YES that is true).

Keep up the good work will you be doing a super Mario world redrawn?
It will be awesome to see a modified person of that also.

SMB64

Hey, I like how this project is looking so far! Is the SMB demo gonna be separate from the SMB2 demo? Also, the SMB2 demo has a problem: the above ground background is missing, as well as all of the blue on Peach.

RetroGameFan

Quote from: RetroGameFan on December 23, 2020, 08:59:00 AM
As for the poll at the top, I voted for "Darker like the NES game". It seemed to me that that was the better choice, considering it would be truer to the original NES version of SMB.

For a little while, that choice appeared to have more of a commanding lead over the other option, until three users in a row (evidently) voted the option of "Stay lighter like All-Stars".

Could someone please explain to me why one would think a lighter color theme would work better?

I posted this a while ago, and I got a satisfactory reply, but after thinking it over for a while, I'm leaning towards disagreeing with that reply.

To anyone who argues that SMB used a darker color scheme because there "weren't that many colors to choose from on NES hardware", how come we see brighter colors in SMB2 and SMB3, which are also for the NES? I'm thinking maybe the developers at Nintendo used a darker color for another reason.

Then again, I'm not sure, but maybe I'm wrong, and the lighter colors do work better for an upbeat platformer. Please have patience with me, because I do have somewhat limited knowledge on what makes the grade for a great game.

Am I missing something?

gamingcat02261991

You know, the Super Star's SMB1 sprite in this ROM Hack has a smile just like not just its official artwork, but also its appearance in a game released only for two Japanese computers named Super Mario Bros. Special.

zjv

Quote from: gamingcat02261991 on June 02, 2022, 07:03:05 PM
You know, the Super Star's SMB1 sprite in this ROM Hack has a smile just like not just its official artwork, but also its appearance in a game released only for two Japanese computers named Super Mario Bros. Special.

This also was recently ported to the SMB engine by frantik and Karatorian:

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6067/

pocket

Hey guys please stop necro-bumping this thread. This project project has not made any significant progress since like March of 2020. I haven't made a worthwhile post in this thread since page 14. I don't know when or if I'll get back to it. If it goes quiet for a long time, it should only be bumped if you've got something to add...

personally, I need to re-work the OP because i've gotten a little ahead of myself on planned features I don't even have the skill to add. I'll clean up the OP when and if I get back to working on this.  But the scattered mess that is the SMB3 part of the game isn't really calling me at the moment.

Since i'm here I might as well clean the slate of replies.


Quote from: RetroGameFan on June 02, 2022, 06:17:20 PM
I posted this a while ago, and I got a satisfactory reply, but after thinking it over for a while, I'm leaning towards disagreeing with that reply.

To anyone who argues that SMB used a darker color scheme because there "weren't that many colors to choose from on NES hardware", how come we see brighter colors in SMB2 and SMB3, which are also for the NES? I'm thinking maybe the developers at Nintendo used a darker color for another reason.

Then again, I'm not sure, but maybe I'm wrong, and the lighter colors do work better for an upbeat platformer. Please have patience with me, because I do have somewhat limited knowledge on what makes the grade for a great game.

Am I missing something?

The sky color isn't changing, i'm keeping it light. I wouldn't know how to change the sky color anyway. Now please pay no attention to those poll results.

Quote from: SMB64 on June 01, 2022, 01:23:30 PM
Hey, I like how this project is looking so far! Is the SMB demo gonna be separate from the SMB2 demo? Also, the SMB2 demo has a problem: the above ground background is missing, as well as all of the blue on Peach.
The blue on peach isn't implemented on the demo since I have to do color pallet editing for that. It would be in the final version. not sure what the issue is on the above ground background. Nobody else had that problem. The SMB1 Demo, if I decide to make one, will be separate as well.

Quote from: Hellfire on April 07, 2022, 09:27:22 AM
Hey, noticed you guys were talking about bushes. Here's my try : https://imgur.com/a/0yJbfxB

This is excellent. Much more closer to the NES version than my attempt. However, the bushes in All-Stars are actually animated, as you can see from this outdated gif from earlier in the thread.


Quote from: TheMasonGamer on January 12, 2022, 03:47:47 AM
This is super cool! I think it'd be great if you could open up a Discord server for this project. It would be a lot easier to reach you and see the newest updates when they're finished, along with community submissions/suggestions for sprite adjustments. It's also much easier to navigate than on these forums. I'd really love to join if you decide to make a server!  :)

I'm not really interested in having a discord server, this thread is more than enough. I'd only want to give my discord info to people helping directly with the project and even that i'm kind of iffy about since i'm not very social.



EDIT: I want to emphasize that this project isn't officially canned and i'll happily release everything I have up to this point in the event I decide to.  I'm just tired of seeing this thread keep rising to the top when there's still nothing new to add.  Lord knows I did my own share of unjustified bumping.   I think this post may have been a bad idea in hindsight, I didn't mean to upset anyone.

I think instead of requesting no further bumps I should have instead stipulated that i'm open for PMs if someone would like to help directly.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

AdamDravian

Oh, man, I got so excited to see that you'd posted again, Pocket. It's a bummer it's just to tell us not to bump this anymore. A lot of people (including me) were/are very excited for this project, so I hope you're able to find the inspiration to eventually see it through.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

SMB64

Thanks for answering my questions. Even if you don't finish SMB1 and make a demo, the SMB2 demo will suffice. BTW, for Boo in the SMB3 battle mode, I think you should turn it into a fireball, since the behaviors are similar.

June 06, 2022, 06:40:49 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Oh, and sorry about this, but I felt like this should be said.
I remember someone (possibly pocket) saying the sprites are disorganized. I wanted to provide helpful input. May I see how the sprites are arranged?

Neon Streetlight

Quote from: AdamDravian on June 06, 2022, 10:53:29 AM
Oh, man, I got so excited to see that you'd posted again, Pocket. It's a bummer it's just to tell us not to bump this anymore. A lot of people (including me) were/are very excited for this project, so I hope you're able to find the inspiration to eventually see it through.

I had the same reaction. I was so excited about this project and now it just bums me out. Someone else might need to rescue it someday.

SMB64

Hey, @pocket, if this project is still alive, I had a suggestion, changing Raccoon Mario's pallet from brown, to orange and black, like the artwork. Here's my take on it. (I used the NES sprite :P)
https://imgur.com/a/mjBfgiT

Mc Nasty

I would like to ask if there is any way to split the rom of this game (as in the SMB2 demo) since I would like to have these separately. Any patch to do it?

THiN_CRUST_1992

Quote from: pocket on January 17, 2020, 08:24:30 PMEDIT:

"End of the line plumb-scum"

( don't worry, im not keeping this, just did it for a quick laugh. I love how the portrait of the real Bowser is looking hatefully at 'ol "King Koopa" there... but now I'm considering doing a Super Mario Bros. Super Show themed hack someday  :laugh:. )

I know this comment is old, but I think SuperSludgeBro did an interesting attempt at making King Koopa fit the SMAS style.