News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega CD save file conversion  (Read 760 times)

heratio

• View Profile
Sega CD save file conversion
« on: January 09, 2020, 03:39:19 pm »
Hello, I recently received a Mega SD that plays Sega CD games without the actual attached system.  I have some old save files from using Kega Fusion that uses the .brm file for saves.  I would like to move those over to the Mega SD, but when I look at the save files produced by that I get a .srm file and a .bak file. 

Is there a way to convert those Kega Fusion files so they work on a Mega SD or regular Sega CD?

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Sega CD save file conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:13:08 pm »
just change the file extenstion from .brm to .srm. it's the same format afaik.

heratio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 11:45:14 pm »
Thats the first thing I tried but it does not work.  The file sizes are also different with the brm file being smaller than the srm file that is created on the actual Sega CD.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 11:48:25 pm »
Has no one mentioned this problem on the Internet before?  It seems strange to think that you would be the first to encounter it.

Failing that, the first thing to do would be to open the files in a hex editor and see if they resemble each other at all.  Maybe you just need to pad the .brm with FF or something.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 04:46:07 am »
maybe try to create an appropriately sized ramcart in fusion, load it up, then use the internal Sega CD manager to copy your savefile to the new ramcart and use this with your Mega SD.
the filesize should be 8 KBytes, unless it's a ramcart file, then it could have 16KBytes or more. if your savefile size is different, then maybe it got corrupted somehow?

found an old topic here. apparently somebody had some luck with a similiar issue by using RetroArch to manage their saves.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:57:47 am by thr »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 12:19:23 pm »
From what I read, the size of the ENTIRE Sega CD SRAM is 8KB (128KB for the RAM cart) and actual files are allocated in "blocks" of, I think 40 bytes was how the math worked out.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 03:17:31 pm »
Hello, I recently received a Mega SD that plays Sega CD games without the actual attached system.  I have some old save files from using Kega Fusion that uses the .brm file for saves.  I would like to move those over to the Mega SD, but when I look at the save files produced by that I get a .srm file and a .bak file. 

Is there a way to convert those Kega Fusion files so they work on a Mega SD or regular Sega CD?

.brm means Backup RAM. As in the entire available space to save games.
.srm is the individual game save that goes inside the backup ram.
.bak is a Backup in case you overwrite or lose your save.

As long as both files are .brm (or .srm), then a simple name change will work. But unfortunately I don't think there's a converter or a way to insert an emulator .srm into a .brm or viceversa.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:41:53 pm »
As long as both files are .brm (or .srm), then a simple name change will work. But unfortunately I don't think there's a converter or a way to insert an emulator .srm into a .brm or viceversa.
I would expect that it would be fairly straightforward - like, look at the start of the .srm, look for the same string of bytes in the .brm, and then copy all of the data out of the .brm into the .srm (or vice-versa).
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!