News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Why are Ninja Gaiden NES hacks (Especially 2) so rare???  (Read 2631 times)

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
Why are Ninja Gaiden NES hacks (Especially 2) so rare???
« on: January 05, 2020, 08:35:56 pm »
Been a long time since I was last here. But I've recently gotten somewhat back into playing hacks while we've been developing our Devil Hunter Miyumi IP and it was brought up to me that Ninja Gaiden NES hacks are almost unheard of. Yes there is Deadpool and some slightly changed roms, but nobody has really picked up the baton and really run with it. Which is good since Devil Hunter is a spiritual successor to the original NES Ninja Gaiden games, but still odd. There don't seem to be many good utilities to use, and NG2 must be either perfect or completely F'd because I can't find a single rom hack for that game. Heck NG3 only has the restored patch as any significant changes. I just wondered what other people thought and if any insight could be gained. Hope everyone had a great New Years.

Duke
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Why are Ninja Gaiden NES hacks (Especially 2) so rare???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 08:58:27 pm »
There don't seem to be many good utilities to use

You answered your own question.

As for why there aren't many good utilities, it's because making something like that is difficult and time-consuming.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 02:58:18 am »
Deadpool has some utilities that if I remember correctly could be used on NG rom.

Also I do believe some documentation about it, but our big programmer-rockstar/hacker just dissapeared from all social media and forums, so we dont wsnt to release those without him, because well, it was mostly all his work.

The game is hard to hack, even in sprite deparment the game is pretty limited, you change 1 color here and end up changing 4 colors over there, you change a windows corner of a stage and end up changin the streets and other stuff on the same stage or others

I guess thats why there arent so many NG hacks out there.

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:51:48 am »
why don't you guys make a hack for the snes version? maybe there's something you can find.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 08:05:03 pm »
Yes there is Deadpool and some slightly changed roms, but nobody has really picked up the baton and really run with it.

If the Deadpool hack doesn't count as "really run with it", I don't know what are you expecting.

Good luck with your game.

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 12:29:29 am »
If the Deadpool hack doesn't count as "really run with it", I don't know what are you expecting.

Good luck with your game.

I kinda felt the same, I mean, I started the idea like 8 years ago, and we worked into it for like 3 or 4 years, and changed a lot, music, graphics, checkpoints, save feature, new mechanics, etc.

Sadly I was more likely the artist/player on the project and cant help in anything coding related. :/

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 04:34:44 pm »
The people who played the original game, if they were age 5-20 at the time, are now 36-51. At that age, time for exploring and developing hacks is harder to come by than in one's teens and 20s, if family is part of the picture.

Truth be told, it's difficult to design good levels, good AI, progression of difficultly, etc., even for people who do it professionally, let alone hobbyists.

I have one NG mod that has been in the works for 9 years now, and another that reverses the entire game (all levels mirrored) that has been nearly finished for a year and a half. All I have to do is write an array of coordinates where ladders can be climbed, since the game only supports ladders with Ryu facing to the right. It might take a couple hours and then be done, after many more hours that already went into it. But I have to slap my own hand every time I reach for it, because it gets me no closer to financial freedom, personal development or other lifelong goals I'm working on now. Wouldn't be surprised if other people are in that boat with me.

NG2 and NG3 are not nearly as good in my opinion. The physics just aren't right - too floaty. I also consider wall jumping essential to the ninja feel, and they removed it. The music in the first one is better, the cutscenes, the sounds, the powerups. NG3 is especially mean with enemies knocking you out of the air to your death, and the US version is brutal with limited continues. And its sci-fi theme is incongruous crap.

I agree with others that Deadpool is a very impressive hack that fixes the glaring flaws of the original (most notably, the awful boss fights and hitboxes), while adding loads of new gameplay. I suspect we will not see a hack of its depth again, for any NES era action game. People are too old, it's too much work, and longevity seems to favor RPGs, Mario, Mega Man and Castlevania.