News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: entire rom palette tinted green  (Read 4738 times)

Mr. Saturn

• View Profile
Re: entire rom palette tinted green
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 06:48:29 pm »
I've updated the emulator, and the condition works now. This also solved the breakpoint getting PPU_Data results. However, besides that things remain unchanged. With the condition the breakpoint never breaks, and not having the condition still gets it stuck on the same values every time, not going anywhere after A becomes 88.
I tested this on the original ROM and it also has this problem.

Here's the video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RtAmtLxQMKjYUbUpF4q3tMKLMviLlW65/view?usp=sharing
I couldn't get any sort of voiceover or subtitles, and the video quality was as high as the software would allow.
So I guess I'll just explain the video here:
I first open up my hacked ROM (which is actually a hack of a hack, the 25th anniversary hack), and demonstrate how it gets stuck every time (as specified above and in my previous comment). A few of the lines selected by the breakpoints are different from the original ROM (25th anniversary), but none are within the range of the problematic values.
Then I bring up the 25th anniversary edition, and show how it does the same thing.
Then I show how, as far as I can tell, nothing happens with the condition set (running about to different parts of the game for a while still did nothing).
One of the main things I was doing with the ROM was restoring the original graphics, palettes, and aesthetics to make it more faithful to the original, as well as various optimizations that the original hack didn't cover. That's why they look so different.
I then pull up the completely unmodified Earthbound Zero ROM for a better comparison of the colors.

I hope this helps

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 07:02:16 pm »
I'm testing here and I can't use "W". And I don't see it documented in fceux's help page. Is the page outdated? I'm using fceux from january 2019.
edit: while testing with january 2020 fceux "W" worked. But it still says 2.2.3. That's very confusing. Any reason they chose to do this? Just make it 2.2.4...
Anyway, I tested it in my ghostbusters hack and the condition worked where I expected it to. I'm too curious now, just host the patch so I can check it myself.

Mr. Saturn

• View Profile

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 08:21:39 pm »
I'm sorry, but I applied the 25th anniversary edition patch to the earthbound proto ROM, then I applied your patch to that ROM. The game is not tinted green. Did you try the ROM on another emulator? I mean, can it be an emulator palette thing?

Mr. Saturn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2020, 10:29:26 pm »
I included 25th anniversary with the patch. I probably should have said that.
My patch should look almost identical to the regular mother ROM, whereas your screenshot looked largely the same as 25th anniversary.

I did test it on another emulator  (nestopia) shortly after discovering the problem. It was still green.

So try patching the unmodified ROM with only my patch. Again, it should look mostly the same as the unmodified ROM, albeit greenish.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 11:40:22 pm »
@Mr. Saturn. I've applied your patch to Earthbound (U) ROM. Palettes are the same for me.

Your patch that you've uploaded probably doesn't contain necessary changes. I've watched your video and saw that green problem you were talking about.

So I've tried to reproduce it myself. I checked palette values. By manually changing in Hex Editor -> View -> PPU Memory $3F01, $3F05, $3F09 and $3F0B for the grass from #$3A to #$3B, and also $3F0B for the trees from #$1A to #$1B, I got the same result.

And in case you are interested, this is how it would look like if the problem was with $2001.

@nesrocks. This version from the link is a current build, it's not a release version, that's why it's not on the official site and not 2.2.4 either.

I don't know exactly when they added this new condition. It's not listed in fceux.chm, but it does in online help.

Mr. Saturn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 12:44:20 am »
I just tested myself and had the same results. I applied the patch to an unmodified ROM, and there was no green tint. I tried making a patch again, and it yielded the same results.
The only explanation I can think of is that something about the thing I messed up didn't transfer through Lunar IPS.
So I've tried to reproduce it myself. I checked palette values. By manually changing in Hex Editor -> View -> PPU Memory $3F01, $3F05, $3F09 and $3F0B for the grass from #$3A to #$3B, and also $3F0B for the trees from #$1A to #$1B, I got the same result.
The tint in your image is slightly different. Mine's more of a yellowish green, and it applies to all sprites.
Though I guess the issue is pretty much resolved, if you make a patch out of your green ROM, and apply it to an unmodified ROM, is it still green?

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 12:48:21 am »
Changing palette manually in ppu memory does't save anything in the file, so there is no point to even try to make a patch. If that what you've meant.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 06:56:00 am »
I believe that if you apply the same patch twice it doesn't do anything, so it didn't hurt that I first applied the 25th anniversary patch before yours.
Yeah, maybe you changed something in RAM or PPU memory and somehow it stuck as a cheat for that specific ROM file. Rename the ROM and open it again on fceux to see.

Cyneprepou4uk: that's the online one that I looked at. I guess it's not very good at explaining what W or R do. They should include an example and a better description, I guess.

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 07:41:28 am »
I don't know, looks fine to me. At least there was more than enough information for my taste in order for me to pick my interest and go test it by myself and be very pleased that such feature exist.

Does this explanation looks better? (from google translate, that's why # and $ are messed up)

Today I happened to search through for a very speciefic build version at github, and on my way I've encountered this build version, which says that these conditions were added 24 august 2016 (1 month after 2.2.3 release).

Which makes this sounds very strange.
I'm using fceux from january 2019.

I'm guessing you are looking at data in your folder, not in help -> about.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 10:31:38 am »
If I add W==#0 as a condition it says invalid condition. Yeah, I looked in the "about" menu option.
I guess I didn't understand that W or R would mean what they do. It was too unclear for me to take the time to test it because I couldn't even know what advantages it would provide.
Yes, that description is a lot better!
And I'm using fceux that I compiled myself from the source because I've made a few changes to the debugger's UI. Maybe that date reflects build date?

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 10:36:46 am »
Yes, that must be it. I've just read your topic on nesdev like 10 minutes ago. Ain't I the lucky one

Mr. Saturn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 06:18:53 pm »
Yeah, maybe you changed something in RAM or PPU memory and somehow it stuck as a cheat for that specific ROM file. Rename the ROM and open it again on fceux to see.
Yep. I tried it and you're right. I was confused about why it was still green with Nestopia. So I messed around with it, and found that any ROM on Nestopia was tinted green (even on a clean copy of Nestopia). So it's good that we've got that figured out.
I believe that if you apply the same patch twice it doesn't do anything, so it didn't hurt that I first applied the 25th anniversary patch before yours.
Actually, I just tried it myself, and it messed up a lot of the graphics, and used 25th anniversary's palettes, like in your screenshot. Like I said before, my patch should look pretty much the same as the unmodified ROM.

Overall, I guess this is pretty much all resolved. Thanks for your help and patience.

January 10, 2020, 06:21:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, I just noticed that in FCEUX, there was a file called Mother (modified).pal. I deleted it, and the game was no longer green.

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 11:30:42 pm »
Never would have guessed about .pal file.

Nestopia palette is different from fceux by default. You can insert FCEUX.pal in video options in nestopia.