News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there a comprehensive resource anywhere for "foreign" English games?  (Read 1764 times)

AnCapGamer

• View Profile
Games like "Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie", for example: games that don't NEED translation patches, because despite being released in non-English territories, they were still released with their primary language as English, or with an English option built-in.

I know that they exist, but I haven't had any luck finding them - or even finding out HOW to find them. If there was a list somewhere, or even a big-ass database of games with a data-flag that I could search for I'd be happy. I just want to be able to find them WITHOUT having to manually try out EVERY game ever made by hand in order to find them.
Check out my YouTube Channel, where I review Fan Translations, ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and Hidden Gems.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2UDYujg5yf8NIqctCr8XkA

Cristal

• View Profile
Re: Is there a comprehensive resource anywhere for "foreign" English games?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 11:19:56 am »
I don't know of a list, but another example that comes to mind is Super Black Onyx (Famicom).

Despite being only released in Japan, that version of the game is completely in English.

AnCapGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 11:27:29 am »
Damn.

Alright, fine. If I'm going to have to do this, then I'm going to do it right.

I've gotta finish a couple other small projects first, but after that I'll create a GoogleDoc and post it up here and on a couple places on Reddit - hopefully I'll be able to make it into something of a community project so that I'm not doing all the work myself.
Check out my YouTube Channel, where I review Fan Translations, ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and Hidden Gems.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2UDYujg5yf8NIqctCr8XkA

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 11:33:19 am »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tvtZ5O9Uwd51GVdnMgEan-V1xBQcYj1XzTJ5tbpUl-w/edit#gid=1935945707 - this is possibly the best list right now. There are a few lists there in fact, for different systems - mostly of untranslated games - but Spinner also mentions (in the section Other) if a given project has any Japanese text or no, perhaps that could help. The lists here don't cover Game Boys though.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 12:16:45 pm »
For the GBA and beyond then ROM release listers often took to noting what languages were contained within the game, some indeed being Japanese with English text at least as an option.
http://www.advanscene.com/ is probably my go to choice for such things these days, though combinations or repeated searches on data are harder so you might want to download dats for ROM management tools instead and figure out what goes from there (do a search for English as a language and all the Japanese region games will be colour coded light orange/dull yellow. There are a few interesting titles on the GBA, though some odd ones and mostly things you would expect (stuff like the Korg synthesiser.
It gets a bit more fun if you include things that have patches to activate it (Magi Nation being one that only recently saw proper work done on it), I think one of the Sim Tower or similar games also had something. It can also go the other way on the DS and Japanese gets hidden for Western releases, though most of those have patches here these days (and most only caring about Advance Wars and Go Go cosmo cops). Back on the GBA there were a few people doing "how much Japanese do you need for this" (pocketheaven I think it was had this) type guides, and the ever popular menu translation or read along at home translation, as well but most of those will have since been lost (though in practice if gamefaqs has a translation then go that) or supplanted by full translations.

Many dats will also note language for other systems but I have not paid attention to what the various groups have been doing here (no-intro, goodtools and whatever people are doing for MAME/MESS these days being the first three ports of call for me if I was interested in this and wanted results).

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 06:01:07 pm »
Games like "Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie", for example: games that don't NEED translation patches, because despite being released in non-English territories, they were still released with their primary language as English, or with an English option built-in.

I know that they exist, but I haven't had any luck finding them - or even finding out HOW to find them. If there was a list somewhere, or even a big-ass database of games with a data-flag that I could search for I'd be happy. I just want to be able to find them WITHOUT having to manually try out EVERY game ever made by hand in order to find them.

It's not a "list" per se, but something like this? English-friendly Super Famicom Games - SNESdrunk https://youtu.be/AjmwE-fHd0Q

EDIT: after reading more closely I see that you're looking for games that are actually fully in English so this won't be exactly what you're looking for but it might help your research as some of these might fit your criteria.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:21:37 pm by filler »

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 03:57:21 am »
Besides the one that you already mentioned (Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie), the only other ones that I can think of having full English scripts in their original Japanese release versions are the following:

Golden Axe 3 (GENS)

Super Tetris 3 (SNES)

Bio Metal (SNES - The Japanese version also has much better music.)

Shadowrun (SNES - All the text is in English, but there are also subtitles in Japanese. The intro is also longer in this version, in English.)

Return of Double Dragon/Super Double Dragon (SNES - The Japanese version has no ending, it just goes straight to the credits. But at least the last stage is longer. There's also an options menu in English of course and some music, stage and gameplay changes as well.)

There's probably some other plane/space ship shooter ones as well. Also, various other fighting games that have an English menu/select screen. Then again, these types of games don't even need a translation to play. Unless of course, you really want to know what every character says before and after they fight each other.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 06:47:01 am »
Many fairly simple games are in English. Rockman (NES) of course
A few developers had fun with it and used Japanese as an easter egg of sorts. Like Sonic 1's hidden credits screen, or the block message in Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels.

I'm aware some Wizardry ports kept in full or partial English modes. Retro compilations occasionally include available international roms, for one Phantasy Star Complete Collection (PS2).

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 12:40:47 pm »
There are a number of PS3/PS4/360 games with a significant amount of text that were released like this in the last ten or so years. Most of them are Namco-Bandai efforts, but there are a few others. Here are the ones I know of off the top of my head...

Gundam Breaker 2 and 3
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis
Super Robot Wars V/X/T
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers
Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3
Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares Wins
Toro! Let's Party
DoDonPachi Resurrection (360) was released in PAL territories but works on US consoles.

EDIT: As a note, the quality of the translation on these varies wildly. SRW V/X/T are quite good. Moon Dwellers and Aquanaut fall squarely into the "understandable, but oof" bucket. SAO in particular is infamous for having an awful (but *hilarious*) translation.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 06:07:01 pm »
I thought it was only the Asian PSV release of SAOHF that had the awful translation.
Supposedly it was redone for the NA/EU digital-only releases.

I have played just a bit of the Steam port (mostly the introduction section) and it has been rewritten in proper English.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018