News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Hero Chronicle Fully Translated  (Read 4921 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Hero Chronicle Fully Translated
« on: December 24, 2019, 05:21:22 pm »

Update By: Gideon Zhi

Roughly two years ago the project to localize the five main Compati Hero games (SD Great Battle 1-5) began, with the plan being to release all five at the same time. SRW OG: The Moon Dwellers had released earlier that year - in English no less - and SDGB seemed like they would be good/important from a historical perspective. Hero Chronicle joined that list shortly thereafter for its historical importance (recurring dimension-jumper Gilliam Jaeger's first appearance.) It caps off the project series.

The translation is fully complete and without any known issues. Enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Special

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Hero Chronicle Fully Translated
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 05:51:33 pm »
Oh snap! I love me some SNES translations.

I've also heard this is a really hard as far as JRPGs go, has anyone played it? Where does this rank difficultly wise between lets say, Chrono Trigger (Babies first RPG) to The 7th Saga (US) (Nut Cracker)

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 08:09:27 pm »
Congrats on this awesome release!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 09:01:49 pm »
I've also heard this is a really hard as far as JRPGs go, has anyone played it? Where does this rank difficultly wise between lets say, Chrono Trigger (Babies first RPG) to The 7th Saga (US) (Nut Cracker)

Some of the end-game bosses are pretty rough and the encounter rate can be a tad on the high side, but it's otherwise not too bad.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 09:20:27 pm »
More snes goodness before the year ends! These last three years, the snes has been recieving the respect it deserved when it comes to translating rpgs! Thanks a lot, AG!

By the way, is a game called Gaia Saver made by the same developers as this one? Because it looks really similar in graphics and the same characters seem to appear. Is perhaps a sequel or a prequel to this one?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 11:18:36 pm »
Same publisher. Games based on anime and tokusatsu are (were?) Banpresto's bread and butter; crossover games especially in the earlier years. Gaia Saver/Savior fits loosely into the same mold as Hero Chronicle, SD The Great Battle, Battle Racers/Pinball/Dodgeball/etc but other than it being another Gundam/Ultraman/Kamen Raider crossover I don't think it actually has any plot relation to any of the other Compati Heroes games.

kaiisen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 11:35:16 pm »
This looks so sweet!

I'm gonna definitely play it.

These big projects you do are always so beautiful to see. I love it!

Thank you so much for this gift :cookie::beer:

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 12:14:09 pm »
Wild Gideon Zhi appeared!  With a GREAT Christmas gift!  :)

Thanks a lot and congrats for this one, dude :thumbsup:

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Translators
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 02:16:13 pm »
Thank you so very much, Gideon Zhi-san! ^_^
Please translate Tomato Adventure for GBA!
http://legendsoflocalization.com/tomato-adventure/

VladimIr V Y

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 02:10:10 am »
Thanks! That makes a great Christmas/New Year gift.

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 01:16:23 pm »
Just finished it. I didn't think I'd get into it at first because licensed RPGs are often subpar, and I'm not a fan of any of the franchises involved, but it's actually a pretty good game. I'd say the story works even with the countless references to other series, mostly because the original setting keeps it all cohesive and it's always pretty obvious from context clues who everyone is supposed to be.

The encounters do get annoying sometimes, but the old FF1 trick works in this game too; whenever you bring up the menu, it resets the encounter counter, so when I got too annoyed, I would just press Start then cancel every few steps to "cancel" random encounters for a short while (usually I'd do this when I realized that I had missed a chest, though most of the treasure chests in this game are kind of useless).

EDIT - I should say thanks to the fan translators.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:29:59 pm by noneother »

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 07:05:08 pm »
Just finished it. I didn't think I'd get into it at first because licensed RPGs are often subpar, and I'm not a fan of any of the franchises involved, but it's actually a pretty good game, and I'd say the story works even with the countless references to other series, mostly because the original setting keeps it all cohesive, and it's always pretty obvious from context clues who everyone is supposed to be.

The encounters do get annoying sometimes, but the old FF1 trick works in this game too; whenever you bring up the menu, it resets the encounter counter, so when I got too annoyed, I would just press Start then cancel every few steps to "cancel" random encounters for a short while (usually I'd do this when I realized that I had missed a chest, though most of the treasure chests in this game are kind of useless).

EDIT - I should say thanks to the fan translators.

Woah, I didn't know you could reset the random counter doing that! I also got a little annoyed by the high random rate, so I ended up using some of the cheats from this page: https://wikiwiki.jp/snes007/%E3%83%92%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E6%88%A6%E8%A8%98%20%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B8%E3%82%A7%E3%82%AF%E3%83%88%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AA%E3%83%A5%E3%83%B3%E3%83%9D%E3%82%B9

There's a no encounter cheat (エンカウントなし: "no encounters") and also one for rapid level gain (戦闘後獲得経験値: "experience points obtained after battle").

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 08:42:14 pm »
Resets every time you go through a door or up/down some stairs, too, though you might have noticed that. It helps the encounter rate a bit since a lot of dungeons have a ton of doors, usually just leading to separate rooms with treasure. I'd always make sure to go through them when passing near one, even if I'd already been in. Luckily there's basically no loading time so it's not a bother. It even seems like opening a treasure chest does it, though I'm not sure about that last part.
The encounter rate also seems to vary in a few spots. I'm almost positive that when you're fighting through that one town with Dan by himself it's a lot higher than usual.

I'd say one of the game's strength is a that the regular battles are a bit more involving than in most turn-based RPGs of the time, though, since you regain technique points every time you hit or kill enemies. You don't have to save up your special moves for boss encounters, as long as you mind your TP. There are times, especially when you're solo, when using certain moves will kill an enemy outright and net your character more points or almost as many as it cost them to use it, making them a better option than regular attacks. Or, say, in a battle with four enemies of two different types, a move that attacks all might kill off the weaker three, covering part of the TP cost of the move, then finishing off the survivor with a regular attack on the next turn will cover the rest, allowing you to do as much damage as maybe 8 individual attacks in just two turns, with no net cost. It's pretty fun to figure out how best to deal with enemies by using your special techniques and managing your TP. I'd just wish the encounter rate was a little lower.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:50:58 pm by noneother »

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 05:17:26 am »
Good work! :thumbsup:

In the screenshot of the equip menu, there are the beam saber, middle beam saber and the long beam saber. I think "middle" should be translated to "medium", referring to the length rather than the position, which does not make much sense.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 03:38:16 am »
Awesome work, as always! I'm a pretty big fan of both the Gundam and Kamen Rider series, so this RPG should be a great one for me to play. I also enjoyed playing the Great Battle ones as well, so thanks for that too. For those that like these types of games, also check out the one called Super Tekkyuu Fight. It reminds me a lot of Coron Land, but a bit more fast and upbeat. The Super Robot Wars series is also a lot of fun to play for SRPG fans.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)