News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Should I play Terranigma?  (Read 5388 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Should I play Terranigma?
« on: December 23, 2019, 10:33:33 pm »
I have played Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, in their heyday. I tried out Terranigma, but it felt like "Wow this world is empty and there's nothing here for me to connect to or grab onto to pull me out of my mundane world."

It just didn't hook me. I don't get it. It feels empty. It feels cold. It feels pointless, because there is nothing there when I begin the game. It's like asking me to build New York City out of nothingness. I don't know. It just didn't grab me.

Sell me Terranigma. Don't spoil anything.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I play Terranigma?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 01:47:44 am »
it really is kinda depressing at the start, agreed. the whole point is to resurrect the world from nothing, so it's obviously empty and barren at the beginning. so the satisfaction is in making stuff lively again, and the game doesn't really pick up much until you resurrect some more stuff.

did you enjoy, say, Okami? the premise is kinda similiar, though it has its gorgeous visuals to grasp your attention. Terranigma looks like an rpgmaker game nowadays, so you kinda have to give it a chance to appreciate.
maybe try to do the towers, and see how it goes for you from there.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 05:12:11 pm »
It gets a lot better after you exit the underworld
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

WerewolfX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 08:17:10 pm »
Young boy goes on a quest to find out why everyone is getting stoned, he himself gets high and then he talks to plants and animals.
While I've never beaten this game, that's the basic plot without spoiling anything major. I would say play it.

Fox Cunning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 05:38:30 am »
I played it back in the day without knowing it was part of a(n unofficial) trilogy - so I had played neither Soul Blazer nor Illusion of Time (as it was known here in Europe).
Initially I found it cool as I prefer real-time battles to the Final Fantasy-style combat, but the game's world was dead and depressing which is probably part of why I didn't finish it.

Personally, I'd give it another go now that I'm older and appreciate darker themes more. In fact, thanks for reminding me of the existence of this game.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 05:03:27 pm »
It gets a lot better after you exit the underworld
That.

Also, it is way better than its predecessor so if you could bare them...

Nightwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »
Love the entire game, but the ending... the music, and how do you fell at the end... I almost cry for the feeling. Good game, you should play it.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 03:25:36 pm »
I think this game is way less special than lots of people claim (story is pretty generic and barebones, the main protag is quite shallow), but the gameplay and the 'resurrect the world' stuff are really well executed. I prefer it over the Mana series, whose games feel stiff in comparison, gameplay-wise.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 07:46:29 pm »
It's difficult to say. In my honest opinion, the gameplay was quick and fun and the puzzles were also decent. However, the story is quite bleak and mundane and there's a lot of overly melodramatic and sad scenes, especially in the depressing ending. I enjoyed it up until the second chapter, but started losing interest afterwards. If gameplay is more important to you than story, play it. Otherwise, you should probably just skip this one all together. By the way, if you do intend to play it, I highly suggest that you apply the font and/or NTSC patch to improve the text and gameplay speed respectively. Both patches can be found here at RHDN in the hacks section.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:52:37 pm by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

zeteginara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 10:30:55 pm »
I've always liked Soul Blazer better.  While you are in dungeons, killing monsters and freeing souls from their lairs, you experience the town developing more and more.  It really used that gameplay mechanic to give you the sense that you were restoring the world, little by little.

In Terranigma, that stops after a while.  It's... you finish a dungeon and bam, plants are unlocked, and the next area is plant themed.  Then birds are unlocked.  I dunno.  You are doing similar things as in Soul Blazer, but it feels more forced.  :)

I also feel Terranigma kind of overstays its welcome and gets pretty repetitive.  Soul Blazer is pretty short and sweet.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 08:27:42 am »
So-so story, good gameplay. If you like these kinda games I say give it a go.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

KAGE-008

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 10:22:15 pm »
If you've played Soul Blazer and/or Illusion of Gaia before, you might find familiar elements in this game. To be honest is quite straightforward, I even managed to complete most of it without a walkthrough when I played it for the first time. However, I also think this is one of those games that might not be fitting to everyone.

I only got lost once though, at the Loire part. Luckily, figured out the expansion thing after several test cases (which required me to use around 4-5 state slots). Last time I re-beat the game was almost 3 years ago (back then I already memorized the correct paths), still have the save before the last bossfight + Ark at level 40 with the best equipment.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 04:58:02 am »
OK, I replayed Terranigma again yesterday, after maybe a decade without touching this game. It's atually better than I remember, there's very interesting puzzles in the dungeons ! At lest in the part I played yesterday, Sylvain Castle, the puzzles were fun and challenging, I had completely forgotten about them so it's like if I was playing for the first time.

So I'd say it's definitely a must-play classic. Just remember that it's normal the 1st part of the game (underworld) is boring and repetitive and that it's just a prelude to the real thing.

It's like asking me to build New York City out of nothingness.
Let's play some Sim City ?