News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: STARDOM WARRIORS (L.I.C.Q.) LOCALIZATION RELEASED  (Read 8377 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: STARDOM WARRIORS (L.I.C.Q.) LOCALIZATION RELEASED
« on: December 21, 2019, 11:19:24 pm »

Update By: Polinym

The Woolsey Fan Company, headed by its sole member Polinym, has released its second localization project.

Meet "LaSalle Ishii's Childs Quest" (a.k.a. "Rasaru Ishii no Child's Quest"), a humble and neglected RPG for the Famicom. In Japan, the game met very little success, much like the 80's celebrity inserts featured in it. Not surprisingly, the game had no hope of being released in the U.S., and never did.

But what if it did?

Polinym of the Woolsey Fan Company stepped up to make this a reality. Like the previous project, the Woolsey Fan Company set out to pour care and love into this game, and create the localization that Nintendo of America (NOA) never made.

The WFC stepped "back in time", if you will, into the shoes of NOA, and carefully planned how to release this game to American audiences. To avoid inevitable copyright issues, it would be highly likely that the NOA would have removed the celebrity inserts which would have had no meaning to U.S. players anyway. The omission required some overall changes to the game, but not unlike previous decisions such as Super Mario Bros. 2, or non-NOA like Totally Rad or Street Combat. For authenticity's sake, the WFC also implemented NOA's content policies.

At the same time, as a translation project, the WFC also strived for accuracy and faithfulness to the original Japanese game as much as possible within the constraints. The WFC thouroughly researched this game and everything about it. The original game contained many puns, pop culture references, and jokes that the WFC went above and beyond to try and maintain. Polinym request that feedback, negative or positive, regarding the localization choices and marketing decisions be given only those who have actually played the game.

In typical WFC fashion, Polinym didn't simply slap subtitles into the dialogue and call it a day. The dialogue flows naturally, keeping the context of everything in the game leading to each line (and the intent behind) in the text.

The end result?

Stardom Warriors, for the Nintendo Entertainment System as it would have appeared back in the day of the NES. This is the game that would have been one of the "gateway RPGs" that Nintedo would sell to American gamers in the 80's. This is the game that Nintendo would have sent you in the mail for free with every subscription to Nintendo Power.

Stardom Warriors is an absolutely bizarre parody RPG where you become the Manager of an up-and-coming new band. Your task is to tour the world, training and preparing your band to hold concerts in order to become famous.

The task is not that simple. Along the journey, you have to do battle with rude people or creatures using your TALKing Power. Use your kind words to turn them into fans of your band. Instead of magic, you can learn "Managic" to heal yourself or unleash powerful blasts of kindness upon your enemies. You could be up against anything in battle from frogs, senior citizens, serial killers, barf, news reporters, mailboxes, pieces of cloth, chimera cows, and even a bottle of syrup! Keep in mind that this wacky parody RPG in a modern setting was released BEFORE the famous MOTHER (EarthBound Zero/Beginnings).

The WFC even went so far in emulating Nintendo of America as to include a US-exclusive Player's Guide called the "Manager's Handbook" to help players get through the game. The Manager's Handbook is included with the IPS patch in a PDF form.

In true NOA spirit, the WFC even released a "commercial" of sorts in the form of the "STARDOM WARRIORS unOFFICIAL TRAILER" on YouTube, which you can see by using the "RELEVANT LINK" in the bottom left corner. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q99x4Sylbds)

So, are you a bad enough dude to conquer Stardom Warriors and lead your band to stardom? Play Stardom Warriors on your Nintendo Entertainment System (or emulator) today!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Re: Translations: STARDOM WARRIORS (L.I.C.Q.) LOCALIZATION RELEASED
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 03:05:12 am »
Will definitely give this one a go and leave some feedback within the next month or so! Got just one remark for now - I think it would be cool to mention what celebrities were mentioned in the original version (perhaps in the readme?) and some of the original puns, so that the folks out there could research them on their own (even if they're pretty much unknown in the West). I'll surely have more to say once I finish the game, but it looks like you really did your best! :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:11:29 am by cccmar »

MandatoryPixel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 04:47:29 am »
Nice work! I've never heard of this one before, but I always like discovering fun, obscure games. The story concept sounds entertaining - I'll have to give it a try sometime soon!

windcask

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:49:06 am »
I actually have some experience with this game; I tried to route it for a speedrun. I actually went so far as to buy a cart. Maybe I will revisit it now that there's an English patch that can aid me more than my elementary Japanese. Nice job!

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 10:51:46 am »
Great! I wasn't expecting a fantranslation for this game. This has been such a pleasant surprise, as Ihatovo Monogatari was some months ago.

I'm having a little problem, though. I've downloaded the rom with the CRC mentioned in the readme but, after applying the patch, the rom refuses to run on Virtuanes 0.97 under Windows. The original Japanese rom runs fine, but with the patched rom the emu launches a "mapper 206 unsupported" error and I only get a black screen. Do you know which emulator would be fine for running this game under Windows 7?

Thanks a lot for this translation.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 11:04:07 am »
I had the same problem when I first started working on it, so I went and found an emulator called FCEUX. With FCEUX, it runs without a hitch. I highly recommend you use that one if yours doesn't. : )
RHDN page for FCEUX: (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/689/)
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 11:11:47 am »
Just use Mesen, it's by far the best emu nowadays for NES. Patched rom works fine with it too.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 11:54:42 am »
I had the same problem when I first started working on it, so I went and found an emulator called FCEUX. With FCEUX, it runs without a hitch. I highly recommend you use that one if yours doesn't. : )
RHDN page for FCEUX: (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/689/)

Just use Mesen, it's by far the best emu nowadays for NES. Patched rom works fine with it too.

Thanks for the replies. I remembered I had Retroarch installed so I gave it a try with the Nestopia core and it worked right. But if you say that Mesen is better, I think I'll switch to that one instead. I remember having used FCEUX some years ago to play the Chinese FFVII nes demake.

I've always preferred standalone emulators and was very familiarized with Virtuanes, so that's the emu I've always used for nes roms, but it's obviously outdated today.

Cahos Rahne Veloza

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 03:14:59 pm »
Stardom Warriors undertaling before Undertale was even conceived  ;D

theprophetagp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 01:53:51 am »
Are there any plans for a un-Americanised, un-NOA'd translation? Otherwise I'm giving this a miss

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 07:17:08 pm »
Are there any plans for a un-Americanised, un-NOA'd translation? Otherwise I'm giving this a miss
Upvote this!

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 10:14:01 pm »
We have no plans to release an unlocalized version at this time.

That's not the point of the WFC. I guess if you want to play the MOST accurate version of the game, there IS a version that is significantly more faithful to the original. Here's a video that basically shows this version that I think you would be interested in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4

The MOST accurate version of the game:
Spoiler:
[/
"Download Link"
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 12:05:06 am »
Was the sarcasm really necessary?
I'd suggest making translation tools and notes available. Let someone interested decide for themselves.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 02:07:53 am »
Well, I could do it myself, considering I've learned a lot about how this game works. I'd just have to decide whether it's worth it or not. A lot of things wouldn't work because of space issues, or the way it's programmed. The art's (arguably) worse in the original. Plus, there's quite a bit of iffy content that even I don't know if I can leave in the game. Not to mention all the jokes that just simply wouldn't translate into English!

With Stardom Warriors, at least a majority of players should be able to enjoy the game on its merits as an RPG, and appreciate the style of humor without even noticing it was in Japanese to begin with (that's the hope, anyway). And for the few who want the game exactly like it was in the original, why not just play the original where nothing is lost? If you know enough Japanese to notice something different, then wouldn't the purist form be the original itself?

Maybe someday... : )

Spoiler:

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 06:12:26 pm »
Fair enough. To some extent a translation loses value if it's not accessible to the new audience.
Ultra obscure celebrity references and stuff might not have ideal solutions.

Fray

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 02:43:17 pm »
Dear Polinym, I don't know how to thank you for the entire work on this game. Really, your translation and hack are absolutely amazing!! It made the game more modern than the original version, I mean for the graphical changes.
I have completed the game, and I still remember with pleasure the names of New Yorik, Botson, Freattle... oh I love it!
My personal favorite character is The Tramp, because I have just recently watched a Chaplin's movie, so I'm in love with that actor, and it's even not out of place, because, in the 80s, the black & white movies where still on TV, or at least it where in Italy. I love "Niceplosion", and all the rest, really.
Among the names that I didn't understood completely, there are:
Kay IX (Canine???) and Rihannon (Do you mean Rihanna boy?).
For the rest, the game is a very pleasure to play it, it's so refreshing, simple but not too much, full of funny characters,
and moments...

MILD SPOILER AHEAD

Spoiler:
(like the staring contest)

I have some other things to say, but for the moment, thanks!!!

Sorry for my English, but I'm Italian :-[

mentil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 02:05:13 am »
I finished this localization recently, enjoyed it overall but had a few suggestions for how to better localize it.
For one, there are quite a lot of spelling and grammar errors, and reduplicated words. The only one I still remember is that 'marauder' was misspelled; not sure if there's room for 'tomatoes'. It's not just dialog, also some of the equipment names are misspelled (and not intentionally.)

Second, I'd make the early game (up to level 10 or so) less grindy, by increasing XP awards from low-level monsters. Early-game grinding in JRPGs is common, but there's precedent for making JRPGs less grindy in their American releases, for example Hydlide on NES. That you have to gain about 1/3 of your levels in the first 1/10 of the journey makes it very uneven, given how many towns there are. Speaking of which, the encounter rate is aggravatingly high, especially when going through a low-level area; it could be safely halved and feel about right. Enemy difficulty progression was all over the map. In multiple spots I'd be fighting difficult enemies, then come across one or two new ones that are inexplicably easy. Other spots suddenly throw enemies at you that you can't reasonably handle at that point, and you're expected to just use s-capes to get past them, which goes against RPG conventions (with no hints that you're expected to do this at certain points.)

I read your manual before playing, yet had no idea what would happen if a girl's stress reached 100%; I feared they might permanently leave the group or something. One time I stayed in a cheap hotel room and instead of the screen showing the girl blowing up, the game reset. It was also unclear to me that equipment/Charm stat also affects the Talk stat (or that they're identical.) One NPC in the starting town may give a vague hint to that, by saying a manager is nothing without their band, but the game was unnecessarily difficult until I figured that out; I thought upgrading my equipment was pointless until I was high enough level to do town hall concerts. So that could be made more explicit somewhere.

I wish an indicator were shown for acts that had already been performed during a performance, so it's easier to remember what you've already done.

Specific issues:
Spoiler:
I had to resort to a walkthrough to find the ticket to Freattle. One NPC gives a hint that it's near '4 beach giants', and she happens to be near a cluster of 4 (palm?) trees. This led me to believe I was looking for a cluster of 4 trees on a sandy beach. The NPC who dropped the ticket said it's 'on a shore near here', which further led me to believe it was on a sandy beach shore. Of course there are no sand tiles nearby, so I figured I had to go around the water, or obtain the boat, to reach the shore which had the ticket. Needless to say I was stuck. I searched every tile on the peninsula 'near' the NPC who dropped it, and didn't find it. Where it is, I don't consider to be 'near' his house. I suggest rewording these hints so the guy says something like "I dropped it a little west of here." and the girl says "4 giant wavebreakers."

Similarly, I was unsure if I had missed it when I found out the Star's Shoes were in a cave, and I had gone through two caves near the town mentioned. It could be made more clear which cave is being referred to.

I actually guessed the quiz answer without any hints, since I didn't realize I would get hints. The hints wouldn't have helped me without doing an internet search, anyway.

You're told to get the Sunstone in order to save the whole town, yet it actually only wakes up one NPC there. Maybe modify some dialog to justify this?

It seems you can't return to Wahaii? I'm unsure how you beat the game if you don't get any bananas, or if you eat them all. Speaking of which, giving myself RSI to win the swimming competition, then being told I don't get the ticket because I'm not popular enough, was really aggravating. I was unsure at what point I'd be able to get the ticket, so kept coming back every couple levels. I'd just make it so you're given the "You're not popular enough" spiel prior to the competition.

There's a town in the ocean I found when looking for the turtle expert. One NPC mentions the crystal ball being stolen by turtles, so I thought that was the place, for a while. Another character mentions a curse. Is that town just a red herring?
Similarly, I presume the TV Studio that says "Nope, you don't belong on my set" never does anything, and that all of the Suit upgrades are trolls. I'm unsure if the ring dropped in the hills can actually be found, though. Or what that cursed dress is for. Was there a Star's Lipstick?