News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Where to start in translating NDS roms (Goemon DS)  (Read 1217 times)

Drag0nscythe

• View Profile
Where to start in translating NDS roms (Goemon DS)
« on: December 21, 2019, 08:57:24 am »
Wondering where to start in regards to hacking DS games, particularly the Geomon DS game. I have found various guides from 8+ years ago about hacking but nothing more recent.

gbatemp has the ultimate guide for DS hacking but many of the tools are a bit old, with some no longer working on modern systems.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Where to start in translating NDS roms (Goemon DS)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 09:46:06 am »
gbatemp has the ultimate guide for DS hacking but many of the tools are a bit old, with some no longer working on modern systems.
When someone says that, it usually means they don't know how to use command-line programs, so you may want to learn about that.

In any case, 8 years is rather recent for us. We're still using 20+ years old tools, and they work just fine on the latest version of Windows 10 x64.

Eh... Here's our FAQ and all that:

The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.
There has to be a better life.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 10:54:47 am »
When someone says that, it usually means they don't know how to use command-line programs, so you may want to learn about that.
In the case of the GBA there were a few visualbasic tools that are a nightmare to get working on post XP (more recent, more annoying still) versions of Windows, and even with an XP install you might still have to fiddle quite a bit to get the installers all doing what they need to. VB had thankfully more or less stopped being used by the time the DS hacking scene got going but I will note it never the less.
That said there is merit to the idea that new tools are not as necessary here as a new web browser or new document writer might be in those fields, mainly as a ROM made a decade ago will still have the exact same formats/composition/makeup a decade from now.

I do have a guide to things for the GBA and DS, you might have seen that one already but GBAtemp did have another with a name more closely matching that
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14708

For the most part though things that worked for the NES will also apply to the DS, with obvious exceptions being you will need the relevant emulator, disassembler and a tile editor with support for GBA and DS (they share things but if they are named they will tend to be GBA, things with DS being for the DS) formats.
For the DS you do also have the bonus of a file system being used and many of the formats shared between games (even between different developers/publishers which is pretty rare even on older systems with filesystems of their own) and thus tools to handle them in some capacity. I don't know what we are suggesting for a tool to pull apart DS ROMs right now (I kept on with good old ndstool, which has frontends in the likes of dsbuff and dslazy, but others might go in for crystaltile2, tinke, ndsts or something else).

4l3j4ndr0

• Gameboy Color Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 12:11:13 pm »
Wondering where to start in regards to hacking/translate DS games

1. Dump your cartridge and get a digital copy of your game.
2. Get a proper emulator for Ds games. Emulator whit debugging tools, Vram viewer, disassembly, are what we look for.
3. Get the scrip.
This is the hard part. You have to determine how text is store on this particular game. Some options are.
Compress text.
Custom encoding.
UTF-8, Ascii, Unicode..etc
Equivalent tables like 00=A 001=B...
And possible many more that I can't remember right now...
4. Translate

For now you goal will be learn how to extract a Ds script.

December 21, 2019, 09:11:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh men!, this game is text hardcore.

世間さまは騙せても、 この金衛門だけは騙せ
ねえぜ!

How will you put all text translation on this minimun space?

good luck buddy.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:11:23 pm by 4l3j4ndr0 »