News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Why are reviews like this being accepted onto the site, do reviews get reviewed?  (Read 3716 times)

Special

• View Profile
There's been a flood of terrible low effort reviews for a while now, I wouldn't even call them reviews, they tell you nothing about the hack/translation, and with some it's very obvious the person doesn't play more then 2 minutes before they give their recommendation.

Are reviews like this even getting reviewed? Why were these accepted in the first place? Whoever let them through the queue, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
In fairness, those four reviews are by the same user, on the same series of games, presumably as some kind of joke. Doesn't explain why they were accepted, of course, but still.

Special

• View Profile
It was just an example, it's not like you have to go far to find more low quality/low effort reviews, basically all 3 for this game...

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/4830/

After seeing this necro post recently, I assume there's a certain "quality" standard for hacks, does this not apply to reviews as well? Shouldn't reviews be actually reviews. And I'm not talking broken Engrish here, I realize not everyone is native English speaking, but that's not what this is about and my examples are clearly not pointing to that.

FAST6191

• View Profile
I am not sure about the witterings with the CRC for that last one but the first part of it seems like an opinion about the things done for the hack.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
So I did actually have a review that was rejected with the moderator saying "Read the readme file". (Personal justification: I had read the readme file 3 times, and it did NOT address my concerns.) But yes, there is someone reviewing these before they get posted.

I thought those Megaman Zero reviews were silly, but they are not off-topic. They DO directly address the patch that they are reviewing.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
I don't see anything wrong with the reviews. Aside from spam content, I don't think it should be censored. Reviews are clearly opinions of single users, and as such, they are valid. I can see how some people would see it as bad taste to have "gore and bad words" in a megaman game. Should that user be playing those hacks if the hack's main purpose was exactly to add those things? Maybe not? Still, the reviews seem to be more about the idea than the execution. Censoring is a bad thing.

theNightStar

• View Profile
That's funny because I had a review outright rejected even though I feel like I made some good points and was 100% on topic of the discussion of the patch, where it was talking about localizations. But because I said ONE thing in the review overall that said that I didn't think the patch creator seems to know what a "localization" actually is, it was rejected. Even though the majority of my review was actually the overall effectiveness of the patch technically doing what it set out to do.

Clearly there is some bias going on in the review submissions, here. It's inconsistent what gets through at best, while terrible reviews that look like they were written by a deranged 2nd grader get easily accepted while well thought out, relevant reviews are denied.

I'm not confident in the justification for letting those crazy reviews, go by. Those are clear below standards that should ever have been approved. And I say this as someone who get the unfair end of that stick, myself in the past.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
Oooh, about the MMZ Restoration patch specifically...

Spoiler:
I personally don't think it works well at all.  For one, most everything in the Mega Man games is robotic, including the drones and enemies you're chopping up.  So why is there blood coming out of them?  It doesn't make any sense.  Maybe if it was oil or something, but not blood.

Second, I think the story, for as ridiculous as it is, works better with the 'censorship'.  Mainly, how Copy X and his regime says they're 'retiring' Reploids, not actually killing them.  It's a euphemism to try and call attention away from the horror of the action, exactly what a totalitarian dictator would try to do.  Even Zero pauses and stumbles over the term, it's clear it doesn't fit - and I think the story is better for it.

But that's just me.

Anyway, as long as it's not completely off-topic, or a bug report, or it's clear the user needs to go read the readme, I don't think the mods much care if people make fools of themselves in the review box.  It's not like they're responsible for the dude's opinions.

peixemacaco

• 70 65 69 78 65 6d 61 63 61 63 6f
    • View Profile
    • Old peixemacaco site found
Hmmm, viewing only one of the reviews, seems like a fight or just an unintelligent behavior, only to diminish the work and the other to say to people is a lie and preserve his work.

I do think constructive reviews will address to the person who made, with ideas and possible changes in the future.

Nelson
Super Monaco GP... It garnered an at-the-time unprecedented 10–10–9–9 rating from Electronic Gaming Monthly's Review and wasn`t a F Indy title.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Oooh, about the MMZ Restoration patch specifically...

Spoiler:
I personally don't think it works well at all.  For one, most everything in the Mega Man games is robotic, including the drones and enemies you're chopping up.  So why is there blood coming out of them?  It doesn't make any sense.  Maybe if it was oil or something, but not blood.

Second, I think the story, for as ridiculous as it is, works better with the 'censorship'.  Mainly, how Copy X and his regime says they're 'retiring' Reploids, not actually killing them.  It's a euphemism to try and call attention away from the horror of the action, exactly what a totalitarian dictator would try to do.  Even Zero pauses and stumbles over the term, it's clear it doesn't fit - and I think the story is better for it.

But that's just me.

I totally agree. The blood never made sense to me; I much preferred seeing the circuitry. This is one of those (not-so-rare) cases where censorship actually leads to a better final product.

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
Nope. All blood is correctly explained context-wise. Mega Man X introduced some new robot types: Reploids and Mechaniloids.

The first one are robots that resembles human beings: they can think, feel and make their own decisions. X, Zero, Sigma and almost all characters and bosses in the series are Reploids.

The second one are robots made to mimick other living things, such as plants, insects and animals. Basically all common enemies, and most sub-bosses, are examples of Mechaniloids.

Both Reploids and Mechaniloids are robots whose bodies evolved over the years, in order to become more and more similar to the body of the living thing they're trying to mimick. In the case of most common Reploids such as X, Zero, Sigma and most other common guards, their bodies resembles human beings to the point there's even blood flowing in the veins of Reploids (or any other red liquid that resembles blood somehow). You can see Reploids bleeeding in some anime cutscenes of Megaman X4.

Megaman Zero occurs 100 years after the events of Megaman X, and in that era, the technology involved in the creation of the bodies of Reploids and Mechaniloids are even more advanced. All the people in the Resistance Base are Reploids whose appearance resembles more humans than robots. They can even feed themselves. And of course, they bleed just like human beings. That's exactly why there's blood on these series.

All those context explains why there's blood in the series. It's not as if it's unnecessary. And yes, the argument used in those "bad reviews" is weak and ignores most of the lore introduced in Megaman X series.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Nope. All blood is correctly explained context-wise.

A good breakdown, with lots of good lore to back it up. I'm not disagreeing with your explanation; I'm saying that the lore itself doesn't really make sense, and wasn't needed. The lore exists because the developers wanted there to be a burst of blood. I simply think the game is better without the bursts of blood and the lore behind it, and is more consistent with the X series, where characters lose limbs/get impaled all the time with no blood to show for it.

Special

• View Profile
You either review the hack and what it sets out to do, or you don't. It should not be used for your personal opinion/blog postings about how you feel.

If some hack is to restore drinks of "Milk" to the original Japaneses "Beer" and the hack does what it says it does and works without issues, then that's a "YES" recommendation no question, not a "NO" I much prefer the "Milk" because I grew up on the USA version and it has always been "Milk" to me. Like that's cool n' all you like "Milk", and you can continue to do so, but then don't use the hack where the entire point of it is to restore a thing.

Now if those reviews about the blood for example were more like, "I think the blood is over the top here, the author took liberties here and there by adding too much, the blood is distracting, and covers most of the screen at times, making things harder to see and harder to play because of it". That would at least be more acceptable here because it at least addresses some potential gameplay problems that can result of added blood effects, etc.

Reviews should have at least something constructive in them about whatever is being reviewed, that should be like rule #1 for review submissions/approvals.

I guess we need approvals for the approvals now.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Can't say I agree with that standard.

If someone posts their opinion about the contents of the hack then that is surely one of the things a review section is for.

What value it might be to either the hack author or world at large I don't know but non zero.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
A good breakdown, with lots of good lore to back it up. I'm not disagreeing with your explanation; I'm saying that the lore itself doesn't really make sense, and wasn't needed. The lore exists because the developers wanted there to be a burst of blood. I simply think the game is better without the bursts of blood and the lore behind it, and is more consistent with the X series, where characters lose limbs/get impaled all the time with no blood to show for it.

Too often, people act like a game's original developers are perfect. The artists and writers can't possibly have made a mistake or done something better. When a game is changed in ways that aren't routine black-and-white censorship, very few take the time to ponder it.

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
Sorry folks, gotta lock this topic. This is not the proper place to discuss this. If you have concerns about any aspect of an entry on the site, including a review, please use the Contact Staff link found on the main site's sidebar menu in the lower left hand.

For convenience I'm pasting it here:
http://www.romhacking.net/contact/

It is also possible to mark a site entry page as noncompliant, but I would not recommend that as it may confuse the submission reviewers unnecessarily. As far as I'm aware there's no mechanism to flag just a review as problematic yet. Maybe something worth looking into...