News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Japanese Bases Loaded 3, unemulated sound chip?  (Read 900 times)

Guadozoku

• View Profile
Japanese Bases Loaded 3, unemulated sound chip?
« on: December 10, 2019, 06:11:31 am »
I remember trying the Japanese version of Bases Loaded 3 (moe pro yakyuu 90 kandou hen) on emulator a while back and being surprised there was no voice in it. I recently bought a Famicom and the cart, and found that there's voice in our, and it sounds very clean. Also many of the sound effects sound different and better. Is there an unknown or unemulated sound chip in the cart?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Japanese Bases Loaded 3, unemulated sound chip?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 06:53:36 am »
You're absolutely right about this: Jaleco's baseball games used a D7756 chip, which amazingly hasn't been emulated even after all this time. Reading around on nesdev, there may be some work being done by some people, but thus far there's been no success. I didn't know about this until now, interesting. You can see the first game here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQAy6_ZLE3c

EDIT: well hey, I just learnt something. MAME emulates the chip by using WAV files that were dumped from the game. You can find them in the MAME samples folder (you'll have to find that yourself). When I tried the game using moepro90 in the software list, with moepro90 in the samples, it played with the samples intact. Nice. :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:12:52 am by Psyklax »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Bases Loaded 3, unemulated sound chip?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 10:17:21 am »
Because those custom chips are often a separate CPU with its own ROM embedded.
Seems like "decapping" is the way these get figured out. But, well known to the effort to get the SNES enhancement chips dumped, it is an extremely long and expensive process, as it requires a person with very special skills and very expensive machinery to do it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018