Awesome finds all around. I'll have to find some time to tamper with the Chaos Rush patch and try adjusting the window length by 1 to see if that remedies the issue. I've also updated the first post. When I get a chance, my main priorities will be the Mysidian Orbs refresh and the key items changes.
Well... clearly that wasn't what I was meant to do with those 4 LDA #$07s. I changed them to #$08, and the box itself didn't stretch, it just shifted the text over 1 space to the right, cutting off 1 more character than it was already.
Also, fun fact: Changing it to #$06 shift the first character up to the line above at the far right, so apparently the boxes are actually 2 character spaces tall. You could actually fit two whole lines in each box.
I think actually changing the data that determines box size is the way to go, as the text seems to conform to the box.
; pointers to battle message window positioning data (width, height, top-left PPU address, bottom-left PPU address)
; indirect data load target (via $AA5A, $AA5E, $AB52, $AB56)
0x016C08|$05:$ABF8:02 AC ; $05:$AC02
0x016C0A|$05:$ABFA:08 AC ; $05:$AC08
0x016C0C|$05:$ABFC:0E AC ; $05:$AC0E
0x016C0E|$05:$ABFE:14 AC ; $05:$AC14
0x016C10|$05:$AC00:1A AC ; $05:$AC1A
; indirect data load target (via $ABF8)
0x016C12|$05:$AC02:0A 04 60 22 C0 22
; indirect data load target (via $ABFA)
0x016C18|$05:$AC08:0A 04 C0 22 20 23
; indirect data load target (via $ABFC)
0x016C1E|$05:$AC0E:09 04 69 22 C9 22
; indirect data load target (via $ABFE)
0x016C24|$05:$AC14:09 04 C9 22 29 23
; indirect data load target (via $AC00)
0x016C2A|$05:$AC1A:12 04 20 23 80 23
Sure enough that did the trick. Changing the 09s to 0As makes the box one character width longer. That said, now I DO have to change those LDA 07s to 08s, so it will start on the first space of the "second" line. The only thing about this solution that bugs me is that it covers up the first digit of character HP >999 for the moment it's up, whereas before it was all perfectly formatted to show all the pertinent data... So I'm left once more with the choice between leaving it with the number crammed against the 5th character in the case of 5-character spell names, or always covering up the HP digit regardless the situation. Hmm...
I'm kind of leaning towards the current fix, though it would be nice without shoving an extra space in every 4-character spell name to have the spell level not crammed against the name like is necessary for the 5-character spell names. Anyway, I fixed the message you mentioned by simply starting the "Why" on the next line with the rest of the sentence and some clever DTE usage. It also looks like Chaos Rush didn't quite run his changed banks through CastleFynn enough times. Careful not to upset any of the changes that required putting one or two entries in another bank (Beelzbub and Astaroth had to be stuck at the end of the Battle Messages bank due to the extra 15 bytes needed), and with the very minute typo corrections and changes to text, I was able to shave only 3 bytes off the HUGE bank 1 (amazing that it was so few considering this is where most of the game's story script is), but 75 bytes off the battle messages bank. That will be helpful if/when I need space at the end of this project.
3 freed bytes in Bank 1
6 freed bytes in Bank 2
9 freed bytes in Bank 3
75 freed bytes in Battle Messages
13 freed bytes in Misc 1, passed on to Misc 2 due to banks being consecutive
96 freed bytes in Misc 2, not including 13 inherited from Misc 1
3 freed bytes in Enemy Names
4 freed bytes in Attacks
Reminder that these only apply to the ChaosRush translation and not our current WIP project.
v2.0 of ChaosRush Translation has been submitted to the queue and will hopefully be up in the next day or two.