News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ultima: Exodus (NES) --- Now released  (Read 19193 times)

Fox Cunning

• Barrel-roller
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima: Exodus (NES) --- Now released
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2020, 04:34:11 am »
Alas, I tried several roms on the net, and couldn't get the patch to work. Maybe I apply it badly. I'm used to .ips and .bps.
So I couldn't test the beta version, and was kind of hoping the final release would be more conventional. ^^"
Oh man that sucks! I had to use XDelta because the patch contains a lot of relocated code and data, unfortunately.

If the batch file contained in the archive doesn't work, you can try using XDelta 3 GUI.
If you are using Linux I think you're stuck with the xdelta 3 command-line, while on Mac OS X it should work with MultiPatch (I'll test it soon myself).

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2020, 06:52:13 am »
I tried again, this time with the final patch, and it works. I don't know what was wrong when i tried with the beta patch.
So all is good, I will spend time on the game when I can. :)

Anyway, as there are several files in the patch folder, I think it will be less daunting for users to have some basic instructions on how to apply the patch: just for them to be sure they are doing things right in the case something doesn't work. :p

Fox Cunning

• Barrel-roller
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2020, 07:02:19 am »
Anyway, as there are several files in the patch folder, I think it will be less daunting for users to have some basic instructions on how to apply the patch: just for them to be sure they are doing things right in the case something doesn't work. :p
You are absolutely right. I will have to make it more user-friendly.
Anyway, glad it worked for you in the end :)

arciks11

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2020, 05:14:39 pm »
Congrats on releasing this patch. I was wondering if it would be possible to create a separate patch that still uses the old font. I find new one a bit hard on the eyes.

Fox Cunning

• Barrel-roller
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2020, 05:33:02 pm »
Congrats on releasing this patch. I was wondering if it would be possible to create a separate patch that still uses the old font. I find new one a bit hard on the eyes.
Thanks, try this!
Let me know how it looks like, if others have the same issue I may include that as an optional extra patch on a future revision.

cliff

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2020, 02:45:17 am »
Hi there, I've discovered a bit of an exploit that allows the player to recover HP and MP inside of combat. Using v1.00 for the record.
Spoiler:
With the first character in the party active, press the A button to bring up the Fight/Magic/Tools menu, then press B to cancel it. You can also choose an action and cancel it. Repeat a few times and you will see your HP and MP regenerate as if combat turns are passing.

Edit: There also seems to be an issue with attribute gains on level-up with certain characters. So far I've only noticed the problem on Fuzzy Wizards who start with 30 INT. The bug occurs when this character reaches level 2: his INT (and Max MP) are reduced from 30 to 25. Also, when he got to level 3, his INT and Max MP were still stuck at 25. I tested a 25 INT Elf Wizard and he received the correct +2 INT at level 2.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:32:32 am by cliff »

arciks11

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2020, 07:19:57 am »
Thank you for old font patch!
If I may make another suggestion. the "Lvl" text in idle status screen now feels a bit small relative to other text. I was wondering if it would be possible to make it bigger and similar to original font and maybe just say "LV" or "Lv"

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2020, 11:12:36 am »
I saw there was an update for the patcher;

"1. Updated readme to include more detailed patching instructions. 2. Updated xdelta3 command line in batch file to still try to patch a source file with a different CRC32 value."

This is IMO, bad. It's only going to cause you and others headaches down the line when people start patching the game to "bad dumps" and things break. CRC32 should be a lock in, I think the issue is the patcher looks specifically for the exact file name ie. "Ultima - Exodus (U)[!].nes", so if their ROM is called "Ultima - Exodus.nes" or "Ultima Exodus.nes" but have correct CRC32's, it won't patch. I would change it to look for the correct CRC32 or else fail, but file names shouldn't matter, like "123.nes"

My two cents.

Fox Cunning

• Barrel-roller
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 29, 2020, 05:31:30 pm »
Hi there, I've discovered a bit of an exploit that allows the player to recover HP and MP inside of combat. Using v1.00 for the record.
Spoiler:
With the first character in the party active, press the A button to bring up the Fight/Magic/Tools menu, then press B to cancel it. You can also choose an action and cancel it. Repeat a few times and you will see your HP and MP regenerate as if combat turns are passing.

Edit: There also seems to be an issue with attribute gains on level-up with certain characters. So far I've only noticed the problem on Fuzzy Wizards who start with 30 INT. The bug occurs when this character reaches level 2: his INT (and Max MP) are reduced from 30 to 25. Also, when he got to level 3, his INT and Max MP were still stuck at 25. I tested a 25 INT Elf Wizard and he received the correct +2 INT at level 2.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into both these issues!

Update: fixed! Expect version 1.03 to be published as soon as my submission is approved. Thanks again for the report, well spotted!

This is IMO, bad. It's only going to cause you and others headaches down the line when people start patching the game to "bad dumps" and things break. CRC32 should be a lock in, I think the issue is the patcher looks specifically for the exact file name ie. "Ultima - Exodus (U)[!].nes", so if their ROM is called "Ultima - Exodus.nes" or "Ultima Exodus.nes" but have correct CRC32's, it won't patch. I would change it to look for the correct CRC32 or else fail, but file names shouldn't matter, like "123.nes"

I do agree with you on patching "bad dumps"; the reason why I did that update is that there is another very common dump with a different header but exactly the same ROM data.
Initially it would only patch the expected file, but a lot of people had the other one and were panicking that it would fail.
The best solution would be to have XDelta3 skip the first 16 bytes and only check the CRC32 value of the raw ROM dump, but at the moment that's not an option :(
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:30:40 pm by Fox Cunning »

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2020, 02:07:56 pm »
For the life of me I can't seem to get this to patch. I'm emulating on Android (no access to computer) and I've used unipatcher and Ron Patcher, both are reputed to be able to patch xdelta files. My rom has the right checksum. I just keep reading "error unrecognized patch format" That stinks I want to experience the old school goodness of this game, plus when I can't get a patch to work properly it really motivates me to figure it out. Any advice would be much appreciated
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2020, 03:53:52 pm »

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2020, 04:23:03 pm »
Cyneprepou4uk thank you so much for the ips link. Patched perfectly. Now we are cooking with gasoline!! If off to go play.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"