News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Looking for A SNES Composer  (Read 1803 times)

Morinis

• View Profile
Looking for A SNES Composer
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:45:09 pm »
Not sure where to post this on the forums so I'm slapping it here.

As my activity for Super Castlevania Legends, a Super Castlevania IV project, is starting to ramp for the winter with sprite development I'm in need to find someone that can make and develop either reference music or knows how to program the music within Super Castlevania IV.  There are quite a few things I would like to discuss towards these plans as I know programming on the SNES is another thing in itself as I don't know anyone that can do this sort of feat.

If anyone knows someone that can offer volunteer work towards this please do let me know.  I'm traversing forward in trying to get a lot of my projects done within a 5 to 6 year interval so any and all information that you ladies and gents know would be deeply appreciated :)

yugisokubodai

• View Profile
    • Assembly
Re: Looking for A SNES Composer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:56:43 pm »
The best way to do it is to study it yourself and do it yourself.
Looking for people to do things like this would make your project delay for 100000 years.
You can ask people for advices from their experiences though.

Morinis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 06:03:35 am »
Most of the other projects that I have going aren't delayed when I asked for help as people did step forward to lend a hand.  Just trying to see if anyone knows someone :)

The best way to do it is to study it yourself and do it yourself.

Been there, don't understand it so I ask for help as it never hurts to ask around.  Programming and music making are not my forte :P

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 02:51:10 am »
The problem with Super Castlevania IV is that everything is compressed, making it hard to understand how the game works internally.

But it seems the music engine has been re'ved, since VGMTrans supports this game. This makes it a good start to understand how the music is programmed internally and how to replace it. I'd be interested. But not in composing new songs - I'm too old/uninspired for that.

Morinis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:18:44 am »
Oh gosh yes.  That's one of the big issues about the game itself.  So many times I have tried to learn programming, both NES, SNES and Genesis, to see about the decompressed process step by step its too much to remember.  Not sure how most of the ladies and gents that program things within this sort of hobby do it lol  :D

VGMTrans?  This is news to me course too I am now breaking the surface more towards SCIV hacking as 16 bit spriting is still new to me as I rarely touch it.  I'll have to look this up now as I remember the biggest thing to hit Super Castlevania IV within the past couple of years was the level editor.

December 10, 2019, 09:45:37 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Doing a double post to combine with my last one.

An update on this topic.  My good friend Nesfan linked me this https://megacatstudios.com/blogs/press/creating-music-and-sound-for-snes-games-a-crash-course-in-snes-gss

SNES GSS is what its called.  Bookmark this to anyone that is remotely interested in this tool.  Where to download it https://shiru.untergrund.net/software.shtml

I  may  not have my Castlevania discord server anymore but will still lend a helping hand to the Castlevania community :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:45:37 am by Morinis »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 04:10:17 pm »
This tool looks cool and all, but it won't insert music in the SCV4 sound engine... it uses it's own sound engine. And worse, there's chances that this engine is probably not appropriate for games.

Morinis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 09:48:08 am »
Well shucks.

Back to the drawing board  :D