News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What is the worst RPG you have ever played?  (Read 26477 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
What is the worst RPG you have ever played?
« on: November 29, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »
To keep things pared down, let's stick to RPGs that were officially released in either Europe, the USA or Japan. I know that there are a million Chinese Bootleg games out there that are basically trash on purpose because there is little to no regulation there, but we could go on for years with a pool like that.

For me, I'm gonna say Beyond the Beyond, just to get it out of the way. It was touted as the PlayStation's first RPG, and even comes from the same roots as the Shining series (Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force), but boy howdy what a stinker. The battles are ugly, the text is ugly, the music is forgettable (can't remember a single melody for the life of me), the progression of the plot has all kinds of arbitrary bullshit, and I believe there are a ton of game-breaking bugs too. But to top it all off, the story is like someone trying to explain the plot of an actually good RPG and failing miserably at it.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Re: What is the worst RPG you have ever played?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:58:01 pm »
Lunar: Dragon Song on the DS.
* The plot is terrible, as are the characters
* Running costs HP
* You cannot select which enemy you fight in the battle
* The DS microphone is used to run from battles, so any loud noise (like a bus engine) will either end the battle or make your characters miss their turn
* Actually killed the Lunar series

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 04:16:41 pm »
As much as I'm a fan of Mega Man Battle Network, 4 Red Sun/Blue Moon is probably the worst I've ever played.  When it comes down to it this one's main sin is being a rushed product.  MMBN 4 is almost all padding for a bland equal to what is an anime tourney arc.  As such most of the content is an extended boss rush, and to be fair MMBN's combat is one that excels in this setup as boss fights are generally the best part.  Unfortunately what we have here is a game that screws up completely in execution outside of that one little bit.

Most that have heard of this game know of the "Park area 3" thing, where most things in the game drag you out to the furthest corner of the internet roads currently present in the game with next to no shortcuts.  But on top of that every "chapter" starts with minigames.  This was something that was repeated by recent Pokemon titles' gym leaders, and it works alright for the most part.  The exception is that in MMBN4 these minigames would rather harken back to Capcom's older days where the object is to squeeze another replay/coin out of you.  With little preperation you are expected to master what you're doing just to pad it out a little bit longer.

These all sound minor in the above, but I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is almost the entirety of the game.  It quickly becomes a chore to play.  On top of that there are also some very annoying bugs (a crashing bug when played on a DS for example, or a bug that renders one of the most fun fights in one game completely neutered).

To add insult to injury, in order to completely obtain everything this game has to offer you must play through it multiple times via a New Game+ option.  And there are multiple tie-ins to this specific game; Battle Chip Challenge and 4.5 (though the latter is actually good, it just never made it outside of Japan so you should check out the translation patch).

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 07:00:52 pm »
i'm picky enough when i go to play games these days that my usual answer is beyond the beyond

i was young and stupid

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 10:28:12 pm »
I feel like I'm completely forgetting something brazenly obvious – which is as it should be, frankly.

Does Contact (DS) count?  It's more of an action RPG.  The developers had a few clever ideas; I had the sense that they really, really liked Earthbound and were desperate to capture the same kind of magic, but were just too ham-fisted to get it right.  It's a good game for whiling away a prison sentence, possibly.

It's tempting to invoke Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Saga, but really it's not that awful and if I were going to condemn a game for being a bland slog, then the first Breath of Fire is a greater offender – its whimsical characters and decent music are not enough to carry it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Pluvius

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 01:45:56 am »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 01:51:51 am by Pluvius »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 01:40:47 pm »
I have a Playstation game called Masters & Monsters - Disciples of Gaia. Despite the fact this game has a very cool artbox and title, it's basically a piece of trash, and is the worst RPG I have ever played.

There's also the Advanced Dungeons&Dragons on the NES (if I remember well there was 2 games ?), which are awfully horrrible - I only played through ROM and emulator though. The fact this is a licenced game makes it no surprise it's a bad game.

As much as I'm a fan of Mega Man Battle Network, 4 Red Sun/Blue Moon is probably the worst I've ever played.
Definitely the worst of the series, but still a pretty decent game by itself. Just like Mega Man 4 on NES is also the worst on that platform. They have an habbit to make bad 4th entries (usually in other series the 2nd is usually considered the worst).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 07:55:57 pm »
Definitely the worst of the series, but still a pretty decent game by itself. Just like Mega Man 4 on NES is also the worst on that platform. They have an habbit to make bad 4th entries (usually in other series the 2nd is usually considered the worst).
That's true.  I've admittedly had some good sense when it comes to picking RPGs, so to say that's the worst game in the genre I've ever played is kind of a good thing.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 12:57:54 am »
There's also the Advanced Dungeons&Dragons on the NES (if I remember well there was 2 games ?), which are awfully horrrible - I only played through ROM and emulator though. The fact this is a licenced game makes it no surprise it's a bad game.
The other versions of Heroes of the Lance are supposed to be quite good, apparently.  But not the NES version.
http://www.flyingomelette.com/reviews/nes/hotl.html
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 06:25:06 am »
Off the top of my head, I'm going to have to go with Dungeon Magic on the NES, it has draw distance problems, on the NES, which is honestly kind of impressive in its own right.

Just, go look at it, its basically impossible to gauge your position or to track anything in the overworld.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Chicken Wings - Monikaze || https://youtu.be/11IKI36yDoo

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »
Off the top of my head, I'm going to have to go with Dungeon Magic on the NES, it has draw distance problems, on the NES, which is honestly kind of impressive in its own right.

Just, go look at it, its basically impossible to gauge your position or to track anything in the overworld.

Good pick I'd say. I remember this one being brutally difficult as well, so I could never get too far in it.

As to other RPGs... probably Hoshi wo Miru Hito for the Famicom. Just look it up if you haven't heard of it, it's not even an alpha in my opinion. An absolute trainwreck of a game. One more I can think of is Eternal Eyes for the PSX. It's mighty boring and just plain not fun in its attempt to copy many other RPGs.

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 03:30:24 pm »
Phantasy Star Gaiden on Game Gear is really bad*.

It probably the highest encounter rate for any RPG I've ever played. That's not hyperbole. It doesn't really matter once you hit an arbitrary level for the area you're in (Too low and you do 0 damage to enemies), because your party always goes first in a battle. Running is also virtually guaranteed. And dear god is Meseta and XP growth painfully slow.

What little bit of story it has is also utter crap.

*Despite this, I've actually gone through this game twice in my life. Don't judge me.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 06:40:57 am »
PowerPanda's choice of Lunar Dragon song is a strong contender, made worse by the general lack of such games on the DS early on. Then one day in October 2006, the DS having been around since 2004, we got 3 nice games (Contact (I will take up its mantle despite Jorpho's comments earlier), Magical Starsign and Children of Mana) and the rest is history really.

When doing worst I usually go with failed potential -- Barbie Horse Adventures is probably an objectively worse game than something like Fallout 76 but the modern Fallout universe had some absolute bangers before then it when it failed to do much. Dungeon siege 3... old school dungeon siege for me and mine might well have more hours than Diablo 1 and 2 (and it is not like those were skipped) but this just urgh.

I might say Mass Effect Andromeda but I steered clear of that one so can't really claim it. I long ago accepted Fable is just not for me. I don't think I did any of Two Worlds (actually quite liked much of what Two Worlds II had to offer though) but I hear it is awful.

Phantasy Star III. I loved 2 and 4, still play them from time to time. I dislike pretty much everything about 3, though I can at least note its generations mechanic.

Legend of Dragoon. Couple of my friends absolutely loved this one but it bored me senseless.

Xenoblade Chronicles (or yawnicles more like). Also I did play Final Fantasy 13 but I have since suppressed the memory.

I had a quick scan of best and worst lists for various consoles and it seems I liked quite a bit that people disliked (for instance I actually like Risen and Kingdoms of Amalur).

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 10:26:43 am »
Legend of Dragoon. Couple of my friends absolutely loved this one but it bored me senseless.

Xenoblade Chronicles (or yawnicles more like).

You, sir, are crazy. :o I loved both games.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 10:45:16 am »
This is far from the worst RPG out there but the one I enjoyed the least and actually finished is Bravely Default. The first four chapters of that game are fun enough but once you begin the later half of the story where you have to repeat the events of the entire game 5 or 6 times was insanely tedious. Literally half of the game's entire playtime is spent repeating the events of the first 40 hours over and over again with only very minor differences each time. You basically are just level grinding for another 40-50 hours until you face the final boss, who is really powerful and almost requires that you are proficient in specific jobs and have specific skills/spells in order to defeat them. I am always surprised that Bravely Default is seemingly so beloved by so many people and is ranked so highly on lists of the best games for the 3DS when half of the game is so terrible. I can only assume that everyone that loves the game never actually finished it or they just really enjoy the job system. Personally I never would have finished that Bravely Default under normal circumstances but, at the time, it was the only portable RPG I had access to so I stuck with it. I never played the sequel but even if it is better I was just so sick of that franchise after the first game that I couldn't even bring myself to play it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:56:39 am by Lentfilms »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 11:37:32 am »
In the case of Xenoblade and Bravely (goes with the genre) Default I am generally of the opinion that they are only so well liked because there was bugger all else on the systems in question, or regions in question sometimes.

As for Legend of Dragoon it has been a while since I last gave it a go. I could give it another go, indeed I see there are a few hacks to tweak things a bit either available or forthcoming, but I don't imagine much has changed as most things I enjoyed back then I still enjoy today. It might be one of the early cases of the Final Fantasy clone burnout I suffered during the PS2 era.

I also forgot to add monster hunter last time. How a game could seemingly be so tailor made for my sensibilities but still turn me off that hard.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 05:16:06 pm »
This is far from the worst RPG out there but the one I enjoyed the least and actually finished is Bravely Default. The first four chapters of that game are fun enough but once you begin the later half of the story where you have to repeat the events of the entire game 5 or 6 times was insanely tedious. Literally half of the game's entire playtime is spent repeating the events of the first 40 hours over and over again with only very minor differences each time. You basically are just level grinding for another 40-50 hours until you face the final boss, who is really powerful and almost requires that you are proficient in specific jobs and have specific skills/spells in order to defeat them. I am always surprised that Bravely Default is seemingly so beloved by so many people and is ranked so highly on lists of the best games for the 3DS when half of the game is so terrible. I can only assume that everyone that loves the game never actually finished it or they just really enjoy the job system. Personally I never would have finished that Bravely Default under normal circumstances but, at the time, it was the only portable RPG I had access to so I stuck with it. I never played the sequel but even if it is better I was just so sick of that franchise after the first game that I couldn't even bring myself to play it.

This game actually turned me off of ALL turn-based RPGs for about a year. I wouldn't let myself start another one until I finished Bravely Default, but when it came time to play a game, I never wanted to PLAY Bravely Default. They suckered me in with a fantastic demo, and then made me play for 30+ hours just to get to the party progression point I was at at the end of the 5 hour demo. I felt like none of the classes worked well, and there was too little synergy in training up multiple classes. Having to start over again at ground zero every time you got a new class left a bad taste in my mouth too. I finally started enjoying the game after I decided to abandon all mage classes and just focus on hitting things, but that was too little too late. I never finished. The lasting effect of this game was so strong that I only made it through the first 5 minutes of the Octopath Traveler demo.

But Xenoblade Chronicles was beautiful. It was longer than it needed to be, and the sidequests didn't do anything to advance the story, but the main story was really good, and the combat was satisfying.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 06:20:08 pm »
In the case of Xenoblade and Bravely (goes with the genre) Default I am generally of the opinion that they are only so well liked because there was bugger all else on the systems in question, or regions in question sometimes.
Xenoblade was also the first Xeno game to get a direct sequel that isn't known as a part of the same game.  The series has had a lot of false starts so it's nice to just see it get something.  It's true that most of us probably wish it was Xenogears, but that's probably near impossible at this point.

As for Legend of Dragoon it has been a while since I last gave it a go. I could give it another go, indeed I see there are a few hacks to tweak things a bit either available or forthcoming, but I don't imagine much has changed as most things I enjoyed back then I still enjoy today. It might be one of the early cases of the Final Fantasy clone burnout I suffered during the PS2 era.
It's a very love or hate game to say the least.  It's better put together than most "FF killers" of the time, and while I love it most of the appeal revolves around the battle system.  Plus the art direction's pretty nice and everyone loves the voice acting in a symphony of the night sort of way. :laugh:

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 06:44:55 am »
I haven't played that many and tend to stick with well received ones but I guess DQ2 and PS3. I'm sure there are worse 8-bit ones out there.

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Shadic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 12:02:44 am »
Hydlide for NES is an absolutely miserable game. Wonderful soundtrack, though.  ::)