News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Does someone knows a good software for WonderSwan games translation?  (Read 1055 times)

nikorasuguberu14

• View Profile
I was looking new games/consoles, and i have found this console named WonderSwan. I like manga, anime and those things very much, and i found an interesting simulation game called "Uzumaki: Noroi Simulation", based on the famous manga Uzumaki by Junji Itou. Sadly, i couldn't find any translation patch. I want to do it myself, but i don't know any translation software for the WonderSwan.

Does anybody knows some software that i could used to translate WonderSwan games?

(I'm sorry if my English is poor, I'm from Brazil.)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Does someone knows a good software for WonderSwan games translation?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 12:05:16 pm »
There is no translation software for given consoles, and if there ever is then it will either be an arcade machine with 10 or so games or 30 years from now if we have some really fancy AI assisted software. Developers have any number of ways of making a game work and in the experience of most around here for the last however many decades they often take very odd routes to doing things compared to PC programs or anything like normal translation of films/documents/books.

Occasionally games get software made for them, or people doing the translation for a given game release their tools they made for their translation. I would not expect such a thing for this game both because it is a manga tie in game (you get the occasional new hacker looking into such things because they like the franchise but then find the games generally sub par because they are tie in games and forget about it) and because it is for the wonderswan (if the console was not made by Nintendo, Sega, Sony or possibly Microsoft or Commodore then you tend not to see the nice tools spun up for it).

No specific tools is OK though as in the broad strokes pretty much every console is the same. You will have pointers of some form, you will have text encoding, you will likely have some graphics of some form and have to make it all go together for your translation.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 02:07:27 pm »
I've done a few WonderSwan translations, and each one has had a unique system for storing text information. That said, anything that can read GameBoy graphics can also display WonderSwan graphics, so that would be the place to start looking for graphics and fonts to translate.

If you need any specific help, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll do my best to assist.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 10:56:36 pm »
Doesn't Retroarch have Wonderswan support?  Because then there's the option of its fancy-new auto-translate function.

Since it uses AI, it's definitely going to be crude, and naturally you won't be able to use real hardware with that option.  But there it is.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!