News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Creating special characters for SNES Games (and others)  (Read 610 times)

shinichi999

• View Profile
Creating special characters for SNES Games (and others)
« on: November 10, 2019, 09:48:35 am »
I have been looking for tutorials about how to add or create special or foreign characters for SNES games (such as á, é, í, ó, ú, ¿, ¡), since I'm a Spanish native speaker and I'd like to translate Megaman 7 into Spanish including all the special characters (and editing the letters with graphics too), but I couldn't find any tutorial for it.

I found this topic but nothing really useful:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21553.0

I read there that I can use CrystalTile2 for that purpose but I don't really know how to start.

Does anybody have a tutorial or piece of advice about how to do this?

Thank you very much in advance!  :)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Creating special characters for SNES Games (and others)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 10:51:59 am »
Two main choices
1) You overwrite existing characters with the ones you want. Works the same as overwriting any characters (hardest part being if they are different tile sizes and you have to figure out that format as well). For characters with accents in European languages it often works better using the Japanese ROMs as a base by virtue of them usually having loads of characters to overwrite where English translations might drop the characters down to A-Z,a-z,1-9, and .,?! or something not much better -- sometimes if your chosen language only uses some Roman characters for loan words or are incredibly rare (and you can alter the script to not need them) then you can possibly get a few more characters that way.
2) You expand the encoding to include extra space for those characters. Depending upon the system and format of a given game this can be quite easy (the DS' NTFR being an example here) or incredibly difficult (most other things where you have limited tile space in the VRAM and ROM, which you also have to tell the game to use, being examples here, megaman likely being in this family).

Some split the difference and overwrite and change encoding so those extra characters are more in line with more conventional encodings but that is all you.
I don't think I have ever seen anybody actually add accents as a third pass for anything other than video subtitles so I will skip that one.

As far as specifics for megaman 7 then as it is a mainly megaman game I would not be surprised to see either the wiki here or one of the megaman/rockman fan sites/ROM hacking sites have such info.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 11:19:37 am »
Normally you would just open the ROM in the tile editor (CrystalTile2) and scroll down until you find the alphabet characters and modify them as you wish, but Mega Man 7 stores those characters compressed. You will need to use this tool http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1255/ to decompress the graphics so that you can edit the characters and (re)compress them once you've finished.

shinichi999

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 12:02:18 pm »
Thank you all! I managed to create the new characters  ;D

Silly question... Now how can I know the HEX Address for these new characters?

For example:

The circled ones are new (they were empty before and there are more below with accents). How do I know the right value of each one to insert them in the table?

Thanks!

4l3j4ndr0

• Gameboy Color Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 12:16:58 pm »
You can do a relative search and get the table. One you find the hex code for # just add one byte because is next to him.

The same when you find ! But this time less one byte.

shinichi999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »
You can do a relative search and get the table. One you find the hex code for # just add one byte because is next to him.

The same when you find ! But this time less one byte.

Haha I was going to write you, dude, but I didn't want to bother you (again lol). Thanks, that is solved.

Normally you would just open the ROM in the tile editor (CrystalTile2) and scroll down until you find the alphabet characters and modify them as you wish, but Mega Man 7 stores those characters compressed. You will need to use this tool http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1255/ to decompress the graphics so that you can edit the characters and (re)compress them once you've finished.

I have just one more question related to this: I checked all of the 184 decompressed files but I couldn't find the graphics letters for the intro (specifically "In the year 20XXAD", "BUT" and "BEGIN SEARCHING FOR THEIR MASTER"). Does anybody know the file where they are?

EDIT: I compared both folders with the English and Portuguese translation of the game and I discovered that only these files changed:

So the graphic letters that I want to change must be in one of those files... but the problem is that I can't see them:

Any other graphics editor (or configuration) for Megaman 7 that you guys recommend me?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 03:20:38 pm by shinichi999 »

4l3j4ndr0

• Gameboy Color Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 10:54:06 am »
If I remember correctly snes use 256x224 screen or 32x28 tiles

Setup your tile editor on 32x28 tile window to see the graphics correctly.

shinichi999

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 12:46:28 pm »
If I remember correctly snes use 256x224 screen or 32x28 tiles

Setup your tile editor on 32x28 tile window to see the graphics correctly.

Where and which program? I can't find those options with the programs I'm using (SNES Sprite Editor and Graphic Editor)