News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Symphony of the Night Music edit/import - possibilities  (Read 360 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Symphony of the Night Music edit/import - possibilities
« on: November 09, 2019, 05:31:15 pm »
Heya!

As people who've played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night may know, the inverted castle contains only a handful of musical tracks spread across its many locations. The most prevalent theme is 'Finale Toccata', a long track with a long buildup. The problem with this theme is that it resets everytime you enter a new location in the inverted castle. This makes the track feel more repetitive than it already is.

I'd like to try one of the two following things:
- import music from other Castlevania games (Rondo, Chronicles, Saturn port?) and give each location in the inverted castle an unique musical track
- make Finale Toccata play continuously in the areas where it normally plays, so no resetting whenever you reach a different place where it's also used (done by making the theme keep playing in the loading rooms inbetween areas?)

I'd do the first if it's not too high-level hacking. If it is, I'd take the second, which is probably way easier to tackle.
How doable is the first? What do I need to know to give this a try (AKA how do I edit music in a PS1 game like Symphony)?

EDIT
Woah, no replies? Is this game that difficult to edit?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:12:21 pm by Thirteen 1355 »
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

gadesx

• View Profile
Re: Symphony of the Night Music edit/import - possibilities
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 07:02:45 am »
The music is visible as XA?
Because there's f*** LBA system
for files, every song read a position 2 position.
So there's pointers,
and with files the XA needs to have the same size or recalculate pointers (no idea)
Needs to know romhacking to modify file system.

I remember swap discs with psx.
And that happens.
For example.
Tony hawk 3, swap to tony hawk 2,
play tracks selection, I heard "parts" of the second game (from x position to y, because want to reproduce the TH3 start-end tracks by position, but in TH2 the tracks lba is other)

Same happens with Cdda.
Mortal kombat trilogy music in Rayman. Lol

Sometimes the games made weird things, FF6 in overworld without
battles, works like a trick.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Symphony of the Night Music edit/import - possibilities
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 10:54:27 pm »
Woah, no replies? Is this game that difficult to edit?
Most PSX games are difficult to edit, yes.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!