News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X2 Relocalization  (Read 35104 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X2 Relocalization
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2019, 04:22:55 pm »
I cannot stress enough how much I would prefer "Sagesse" over "Serges." The X-Hunters all have meaningful French names that coincide with their fighting styles, something that's lost in the original localization. "Sagesse" means wisdom, and the character is known for using machines, rather than directly fighting you. In times like these, developer intent should always take precedence.
"Violen" misses one t. The real word is "Violent". But the "t" is not pronunced, so the misspelling might have been intentional.

For years I thought "Serge" surname had a meaning of sagesse/wisdom... I'm disapointed to see it was a simple mis-localization, because such a cultural reference would have been cool.

I always hated how X was just called "Mega Man" in the English version!

COA really must have thought he was the original Mega Man, and that confused English speaking fans for years, and lead to X sounding like a little kid in X4 "because he's Mega Man!".
I always was, and still am confused. Personally I'm one of the few to prefer the original Mega Man series. Not that I don't like the X series, but they're weird and their relation to the original is unclear : Sequel, spin-off ? Or was "X" supposed to mean "10" (now I know this can be ruled out, but back then we didn't know).

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2019, 04:27:58 pm »
Mega Man X was basically a continuation of the Classic series, a "Super" series of Mega Man games intended for the Super Nintendo. I wouldn't call it a subseries since it's really the natural progression from Classic Mega Man. It's basically a sequel series. It takes place around 100 years after Classic.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2019, 05:23:06 pm »
In that case, I'll bide my time.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2019, 12:25:20 pm »
I'm really enjoying you guys doing the Relocallizing of this game. It's pretty good so far, and to be honest, I like the US names of the Maverick bosses that get fought better for the original trilogy better for some reason (wish X1 at least kept the names of the 8 boss Mavericks when the retranslation was done since I somewhat prefer names like Chill Penguin instead of Icy Penguino for some example, but oh well).

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2019, 03:01:28 pm »
Thanks, julayla! That'd be nice, since those names are a corruption of the original names anyway.

There might be a retranslation done for the US version at some point. I did let him know that people are interested...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:22:19 pm by Ghaleonh41 »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2019, 06:02:07 pm »
Yeah, keeping Japanese names in English translation is fooking ridiculous. Why play an English translation when you have to put up with these awkward, unfitting names like Icy Penguino? Rockman??

I saw a ZX undub hack on Romhacking and it kept in all these inconsistent, not-western AKA not fitting to our standards names. Repliroid, Rockmaann, Irregulars. Why? They got new names in the west for a good reason. It's just utter crop and foek it.

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2019, 06:13:47 pm »
Pfft! The only one I would keep is Irregular. That & Maverick mean the same thing, & there's nothing wrong with either one.

I wonder what it would take to do a relocalization of X1...

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2019, 06:17:14 pm »
Yeah, keeping Japanese names in English translation is fooking ridiculous. Why play an English translation when you have to put up with these awkward, unfitting names like Icy Penguino? Rockman??

I saw a ZX undub hack on Romhacking and it kept in all these inconsistent, not-western AKA not fitting to our standards names. Repliroid, Rockmaann, Irregulars. Why? They got new names in the west for a good reason. It's just utter crop and foek it.
Eh, I don't think it's necessarily inferior (I like Repliroid for being closer to Replicant, because Blade Runner is awesome and we're living in those times now. :P), but I think if someone prefers those terms then they should be optional secondary patches to preserve them for people that do prefer it, and not the only option.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2019, 06:19:48 pm »
Pfft! The only one I would keep is Irregular. That & Maverick mean the same thing, & there's nothing wrong with either one.

I wonder what it would take to do a relocalization of X1...

I personally feel X1 has a rather great localization, for a simple platformer.

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2019, 07:47:24 pm »
There was also a lot missing from our version of it, to be fair.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 28, 2019, 08:09:44 pm »
Eh, I don't think it's necessarily inferior (I like Repliroid for being closer to Replicant, because Blade Runner is awesome and we're living in those times now. :P), but I think if someone prefers those terms then they should be optional secondary patches to preserve them for people that do prefer it, and not the only option.

So true. That's also how I feel on some Sailor Moon translated games that keep mostly Japanese names and some of the inconsistency. They, like the people who were behind the Super S Puzzle game style, should have given a patch for the other translated games that have both Japanese and English localized names (before Viz) like the Samurai Pizza Cats had. It somewhat feels a bit insulting that people praise Macekre dubs like Samurai Pizza Cats, the first 2 Digimon series, and Ghost Stories, but give too much hate on when Sailor Moon's dub names are used. I grew up with the DIC AND Japanese names and felt that their US given names were similar to like how Digimon did with the Digidestined when it came to using US names. Still, some people should do what you guys do.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2019, 08:40:20 pm »

I'm glad to hear about this in your decisions with X2. I think this stems from the argument of literal translation vs localization. A lot of times a game series will choose to KEEP the localization choices in sequels as it fits the audience better. It's why I REFUSE to play the FF7 Re-Translation with its choices (Phoenix Tail, Mogeri, etc) or the Rockman X1 translation. It's also why I took the choices I did in my own projects.

I'm going to have to try this out sometime when I get the opportunity.

SpringSonic9187

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2019, 08:47:06 pm »
According to the MMZX Undub GBATemp post: "I know some of you guys won't be very happy to see "Rockman" and "Irregulars" instead of "Mega Man" and "Mavericks", but my goal was to make a full undub including such changes."

geo-kun, I'm sorry, but was that necessary?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2019, 09:41:53 pm »
Using a little bit of ASM then using Atlas/Cartographer you can dump the entire script, have it write into empty space and it'll update all the pointers and stuff as needed. Without ASM, as long as you know what values are what letter and know the text location, you can dump and insert the script in the same place no problem.

There's no need for any fancy tool since the text storage is pretty basic. It might be easier with a GUI utility or something but it's not all that complicated to do using the utilities out there.

Edit: Sent a PM to original author with Atlas file that can be imported into X2. It's a bit messy to look at with all the text commands but it works. There's no need to move the dialogue to empty space either since there's a ridiculous amount directly after the dialogue itself.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:27:34 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2019, 09:53:04 pm »
Hello, Justin! It's been awhile! Anything new?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2019, 11:38:23 pm »
There's no need to move the dialogue to empty space either since there's a ridiculous amount directly after the dialogue itself.
Actually, there's only 30 bytes of freespace after the text, then it's the end of the bank (the game does not handle bank switching for text). Anyway justin's method can still work, just move everything upwards and then update the code to read from the new location of the ptr table.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2019, 11:42:25 pm »
I wonder what's so different in my version of the ROM then. There's a TREMENDOUS amount of empty space after mine.

But yeah, just move the pointers up and the method still works without any issues.

Modify the atlas file a bit and it'd still work just fine.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2019, 12:30:34 am »
I wonder what's so different in my version of the ROM then. There's a TREMENDOUS amount of empty space after mine.
Oh there's a lot of freespace alright, it's just in the bank following the text.

Code: [Select]
text = bank $27 ($138000 - $13FFFF)
freespace = bank $28 ($140000 - $147FFF)

Anyway, the point has been made. :)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2019, 02:58:47 am »
I'm glad to hear about this in your decisions with X2. I think this stems from the argument of literal translation vs localization. A lot of times a game series will choose to KEEP the localization choices in sequels as it fits the audience better. It's why I REFUSE to play the FF7 Re-Translation with its choices (Phoenix Tail, Mogeri, etc) or the Rockman X1 translation. It's also why I took the choices I did in my own projects.

I'm going to have to try this out sometime when I get the opportunity.

Exactly, hence why your FF4/FF6 'relocalizations' are the best 😅

I think keeping in mind who your audience is, is very important. Imagine buying FF6 in the west, but Kefka is called something Japanesey and so is the rest of the cast. This would only make sense to you if you KNOW the game is from Japan originally (something I believe shouldn't be visible in-game, would be very immersion breaking since FF6 doesn't take place in Japan) and know the names the Japanese version has. I don't mind Japanese names if the game is indicating a Japanese setting (Live A Live's near future chapter has its main character called Akira Tadokoro in the fan translation. He's from Japan. The chapter is influenced by these mecha animes.

November 29, 2019, 03:07:00 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

But yeah, just move the pointers up and the method still works without any issues.

Modify the atlas file a bit and it'd still work just fine.

By now there's only a few words that I'd like to see expanded. I'm very happy with how my relocalization turned out, and the only option I see with fully expanded text is a straight up copy of the Hondoori script, which to me comes across as rather dry and unexciting in some places. The limitations fuelled my creativity while keeping it simple, which helped me.

The words I feel need more space are "Count.Hunt.", "Silk/Junk Shot", "Speed Burner" and that's it I believe.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:07:00 am by Thirteen 1355 »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2019, 01:14:05 am »
Alright, managed to squeeze in some hobby time in between the holiday festivities. :)

------------------------------------------------------------

here's the patch that edits the pause menu text: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SEQMZc4Gpdi8Fk0aMUi4HWPrV3ejfb_2

------------------------------------------------------------

And now, because people requested it (and mostly because I wanted to examine the VWF code), I present Her-Saki's Rockman X translation ported to the USA versions (both 1.0 and 1.1): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1heMbbGseiMWeVynQkYA5jNHEJia_6HtE

Why port it to the USA versions you ask? Because it makes it compatible with other hacks such as Capsule Remix and MSU-1 Audio.

All credit goes to Her-Saki for the original hack, I just reversed-engineered his work and ported it to the USA versions. One thing I did change though, was to revert the names back to their localized counterparts (Rockman X -> Megaman X, Vava -> Vile, irregulars -> mavericks, etc).