Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.1.3)

Started by acediez, October 22, 2019, 12:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirteen 1355

This might be a strange request, but how doable would it be to make the "Evil Zero" fight the canon one? That battle always felt like the battle that was foreshadowed in all the X games before X5. The canon battle is pretty lame regarding both gameplay and context.

Basically, would it be workable to incorporate the bad Zero battle into the good ending (Zero gets corrupted, but X doesn't forget about him after)? It feels a bit anticlimactic to have a "lesser" Zero fight as a reward for beating all the stages/getting the parts.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

RitaXBianka90

Good night a curiosity is there a Improvment Project like this for the japanese version?

ZEROmaverick

BlazeHeatnix

Those hacking notes haven't been updated in over a month. Are you still doing those?

EDIT: I guess that answers that question...

T92

Question: Do I have to edit the .cue after patching the .bin or it's not necessary? (I don't know to much about isos)

Megatronformayor

Is it possible to make Retro achievements for your patches?

T92

Just installed it and worked on WIISXRX-2022. 
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll add a review later.

ZEROmaverick

Quote from: T29 on June 25, 2022, 08:09:44 PM
Question: Do I have to edit the .cue after patching the .bin or it's not necessary? (I don't know to much about isos)
No, as long as you don't change the name of the .bin file

T92

s943035

Thanks for your great work!
Can you provide some hacking tutorial?
I have a dream to replace the zero fireball item to 'Genmu Zero' item.
Does it has possible?

acediez

I'm about to finish that other project that's been on my plate for over a year, so I'll be back on X5 for a few weeks.
For now, just a minor maintenance update:

v2.0.4

- Script: Fixed a few instances where the wrong boss dialogue variant would be used (thanks Aceearly1993 for testing!)
- Bug fix: Corrected the position of the dash burst sprite when using F-Splasher (vanilla bug/oversight)

original vs. new

- Documentation:
        - Optional hacks: Corrected the default button layout section (references were all wrong)
        - Revert changes: Incomplete Armors display options (palette modifications, displaying the full armor)

Download links in the first post.
edit 2: files up again!

Assuming no major issues come up on this version, this should be the last maintenance update of the v2.0 release.

Moving on to v2.1...

The main focus will be documenting and adjusting Boss Battle Parameters, such as:
- Base health bar sizes (regular Maverick fights)
- Health bar size changes by Level (regular Maverick fights)
- Max health bar size override (rematches and other end game bosses)
- Damage values of attacks
- Duration of certain phases (idle times, weaknesses effects)
- Speed of selected moves.
- Invincibility frames

I just got done documenting all of the above for ONE boss (Burn Dinorex). It's not hard, just veeeery time consuming...

As I've said before, the focus will be making the battles shorter, but not easier (balancing shorter life bars with reduced idle times, increased damage values, making dull moves move faster). The ideal scenario would be to incorporate the Boss Level system into these changes, somehow (not removing it entirely). I haven't figured out how yet, but anyway, documentation comes first. I'll know when I get there.

As usual, the hack will include my choice of adjustments, but I'll share the addresses for everything I find, so anyone can revert my changes or add their own to their liking.

After that...

Here are other things I'd like to cover eventually:
- Stages: cut down the "wait time" on some of the remaining notorious slow sections of the game (Spiral Pegasus stage's elevator, Burn Dinorex's stage lava section)
- Parts: custom conditions for obtaining them (performance based, maybe different ones for different difficulty settings)
- Enigma/Shuttle RNG: adding back the original game's "always fail" override if Zero has been infected over a certain number of times, ideally adding a mark and/or counter on the save file.

It's mostly things I've already mentioned. I'm writing it as a recap, and to temper expectations. It means it's unlikely I'll get into any other major feature or idea besides those in the near future.

As for tutorials, I am working on and off on a general introductory guide. I removed the link to it for now because it's gonna take some time to take shape. It will mostly cover the tools I've used and the file formats I've had to figure out. It won't be a step-by-step guide for any specific kind of changes. Not even close.

That's all for now!

Aceearly1993

Hello acediez, I'm very sorry that I must bother you once again, but there're a few new dialogue bugs in v2.0.4 which did not happen in all previous versions of patch, including the one you just sent to me through DM a few days ago.
-During mission report after defeating 8 main bosses, Alia's dialogue will be bugged after you choose life or energy upgrade.
-When Signas is introducing 4 shuttle mavericks on the right of stage select (after enigma operation failed), the dialogue will be bugged.
-A short dialugue happened after Zero Space stage is accessible (no matter if shuttle operation is succeed or not), is bugged.
-Alia's dialogue happened after final Sigma stage is accessible, is bugged.

I don't know why these new dialogue bugs happened, all the dialogues were totally fine in the patch version you sent to me through DM.
Luckily the bugged dialogue all seem to be on the region of stage select and mission report screens so I believe just one or two more hotfix until the very end of v2.0? I hope this will be the very final bug caught in v2.0 patches since you stated you'll move on v2.1 if there're no more bugs on v2.0...
Quote"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Aceearly1993

Sorry, forget to document one more since I was blazing through stages so fast.
-If a second Dynamo fight mission is triggered, Signas' dialogue for announcing it will be bugged.
I don't know if there're more but I'm reaching the limit of my finger muscle today.
Good luck!
Quote"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

acediez

It's ok, I get the idea: mission report and stage select dialogues. It's unrelated to anything I worked on recently, so it's most likely a fluke on the disc building script.

Thank you so much!

Quote from: Aceearly1993 on July 04, 2022, 07:19:44 AMone or two more hotfix until the very end of v2.0?

Btw, the idea is simply to have a stable version for the current set of features before moving on to a build that includes new features. I don't plan a fixed number of revisions for that... As many as it takes, I guess. For now, I'll just reupload v2.0.4 later (it's been less than a day). And hope it'll be the last one.

RitaXBianka90

Quote from: acediez on July 04, 2022, 01:53:28 AMI'm about to finish that other project that's been on my plate for over a year, so I'll be back on X5 for a few weeks.
For now, just a minor maintenance update:

v2.0.4

- Script: Fixed a few instances where the wrong boss dialogue variant would be used (thanks Aceearly1993 for testing!)
- Bug fix: Corrected the position of the dash burst sprite when using F-Splasher (vanilla bug/oversight)

original vs. new

- Documentation:
        - Optional hacks: Corrected the default button layout section (references were all wrong)
        - Revert changes: Incomplete Armors display options (palette modifications, displaying the full armor)

Download links in the first post.
edit 1: regressions found, new version temporarily removed. A new build will be up later today.

Assuming no major issues come up on this version, this should be the last maintenance update of the v2.0 release.

Moving on to v2.1...

The main focus will be documenting and adjusting Boss Battle Parameters, such as:
- Base health bar sizes (regular Maverick fights)
- Health bar size changes by Level (regular Maverick fights)
- Max health bar size override (rematches and other end game bosses)
- Damage values of attacks
- Duration of certain phases (idle times, weaknesses effects)
- Speed of selected moves.
- Invincibility frames

I just got done documenting all of the above for ONE boss (Burn Dinorex). It's not hard, just veeeery time consuming...

As I've said before, the focus will be making the battles shorter, but not easier (balancing shorter life bars with reduced idle times, increased damage values, making dull moves move faster). The ideal scenario would be to incorporate the Boss Level system into these changes, somehow (not removing it entirely). I haven't figured out how yet, but anyway, documentation comes first. I'll know when I get there.

As usual, the hack will include my choice of adjustments, but I'll share the addresses for everything I find, so anyone can revert my changes or add their own to their liking.

After that...

Here are other things I'd like to cover eventually:
- Stages: cut down the "wait time" on some of the remaining notorious slow sections of the game (Spiral Pegasus stage's elevator, Burn Dinorex's stage lava section)
- Parts: custom conditions for obtaining them (performance based, maybe different ones for different difficulty settings)
- Enigma/Shuttle RNG: adding back the original game's "always fail" override if Zero has been infected over a certain number of times, ideally adding a mark and/or counter on the save file.

It's mostly things I've already mentioned. I'm writing it as a recap, and to temper expectations. It means it's unlikely I'll get into any other major feature or idea besides those in the near future.

As for tutorials, I am working on and off on a general introductory guide. I removed the link to it for now because it's gonna take some time to take shape. It will mostly cover the tools I've used and the file formats I've had to figure out. It won't be a step-by-step guide for any specific kind of changes. Not even close.

That's all for now!
One thing I would also like to see is this logo

Guilherme Resende

you need to put the names of the Japanese voice actors and the names of the opening and ending songs in the credits of mega man X4 and retranslating the final message. Please, acediez! :'(

MD_Prometh

Increasing the subtitle size in FMV cutscenes would be nice for accessibility too.

Quote from: Guilherme Resende on July 05, 2022, 12:57:10 PMyou need to put the names of the Japanese voice actors and the names of the opening and ending songs in the credits of mega man X4 and retranslating the final message. Please, acediez! :'(

That would be good for consistency.

QMarks

I would assume it's not as simple as "insert additional text in this address" though