News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.3)  (Read 152171 times)

injoon84

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.10.1 and v2.0 BETA 15)
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2021, 02:21:12 am »
Regarding the readme, have you make amendment on the Gaea Damage Table?
Previously in v2.0 Beta 14:

Damage Table - Gaea Armor's Buster
-----------------------------------------------------------------
U-555 (Tidal Whale's Stage Midboss)
BIN Address:       82BC2
HEX Data Original:   00040007 (The actual value is 0003000C)
HEX Data Modified:    00050009 (You did not change. Still at 0003000C)

Burn Dinorex's Stage Midboss
BIN Address:       82C62
HEX Data Original:   00040007 (The actual value is 00010001)
HEX Data Modified:    00050009 (You did not change. Still at 00010001)

Also, I think you need to increase the damage of Falcon Buster.
Burn Dinorex's Stage Midboss (Dragon)
BIN Address:       82C2E
HEX Data Original:   0001

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2021, 02:47:13 am »
Regarding the readme, have you make amendment on the Gaea Damage Table?
Previously in v2.0 Beta 14:

Damage Table - Gaea Armor's Buster
U-555 (Tidal Whale's Stage Midboss)
BIN Address:       82BC2
HEX Data Original:   00040007 (The actual value is 0003000C)
HEX Data Modified:    00050009 (You did not change. Still at 0003000C)

Burn Dinorex's Stage Midboss
BIN Address:       82C62
HEX Data Original:   00040007 (The actual value is 00010001)
HEX Data Modified:    00050009 (You did not change. Still at 00010001)

Actually I didn't mean to change those this time, I mistakenly listed them on the readme. I'll take them out.

Also, I think you need to increase the damage of Falcon Buster.
Burn Dinorex's Stage Midboss (Dragon)
BIN Address:       82C2E
HEX Data Original:   0001

I don't know. That midboss gets very low damage from most attacks. As I hope to come back to work on boss balance more carefully later on, I better save work on midbosses for that time.

ZEROmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2021, 09:50:30 am »
Nice feature the no sliding walls in zero stage!!

I have lost many lives due getting unintentionally grabbed to the walls in that stage :(

Just an idea:
I was thinking that would be cool to include the TRAINING STAGE as part of the main game, maybe as a Sub Mission (something like "The Sigma Virus has corrupted an old maverick data in the Deep Log") triggered by an event (i.e. after defeating the 4 first Maverick, something like the Dynamo battle)

Once again, thank you for this improvement, I never liked X5 and X6 that much, because I always felt them rushed compared to X4. Now they feel like proper PS1 AAA games :D

I wish X7 was fixable like X5 or X6, but it would be easier to make it from scratch  :'(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:53:21 pm by ZEROmaverick »

Moondrag

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.11 and v2.0 BETA 15)
« Reply #303 on: July 30, 2021, 09:25:34 pm »
Pardon me for asking but in normal X5: What is the exact odds of the Cannon/Shuttle working? I also read (looking up Japanese guides) that Zero getting into Infected state 10/13 times forces the Shuttle to fail, but I can't find any confirmation of that...

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #304 on: July 30, 2021, 11:01:57 pm »
Pardon me for asking but in normal X5: What is the exact odds of the Cannon/Shuttle working? I also read (looking up Japanese guides) that Zero getting into Infected state 10/13 times forces the Shuttle to fail, but I can't find any confirmation of that...
In retail X5 wheether Cannon/Shuttle success was determined by RNG, that's why you can fire the cannon directly after opening stage and still have chance to success.
The infect force fail was getting the infected status (The virus counter says "VIRUS", and glows purple aura) 13 times or more as Zero.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:33:04 pm by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2021, 11:55:47 pm »
There’s a rng used for lots of things, which changes with almost every action and frame while ingame. For the enigma/shuttle launch, the game checks if the rng value is above or below a success threshold. This threshold increases with every upgrade (so, for each of the 4 corresponding bosses beaten).

This video of a speedrun strategy exemplifies it very well: https://youtu.be/mfD7ez0aejw

I don’t know the exact resulting % of chance for each scenario, you could probably calculate it by looking at the code I documented on the workbook.

I don’t know much about the forced fail Aceearly mentions. I knew about it just recently, and made my hack without touching it.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2021, 03:53:33 am »
Turns out it's the amount of times Zero gets the infected status that controls the result, success rate of shuttle gradually decreases when the infected counter rises, until 13 times which shuttle is normally unable to success at that point, but your edit seems to be able to override it so that it's still always succeed after getting 4 shuttle parts, so no worry, acediez.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 01, 2021, 02:10:06 am »
v2.0 BETA 16
- Various Incomplete Armors palettes fixes.

Current list of v2.0 BETA known issues:
Retranslated Script:
     - Armor and weapon descriptions don't reflect the changes made by this hack.
Armor by Parts:
     - WIP: mugshot changes on the pause menu haven't been implemented.

I tackled all of the incomplete armor palettes issues I was aware of:
- Stage Select Screen, when going back from the player select menu with an incomplete armor selected, the custom palette would be applied to unarmored X later.
- Custom palettes not being applied in stages that don't start with the player beamed into the stage (Volt Kraken stage, Dynamo encounters)
- Custom palettes reverting to normal during death animation.
- Custom palettes reverting to normal after beating a boss in the boss rush.

There might be still some issues I missed.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.11 and v2.0 BETA 16)
« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2021, 02:41:18 am »
Honestly, there should still be a way to have the shuttle fail after defeating all bosses, otherwise it's gonna feel like you have to go out of your way and sequence break by launching the shuttle manually (through the easily missable submenu command) or let time run out in purpose to trigger the bad ending instead of being a real -yet easily avoidable- possibility. Let's imagine the romhacking utopia of having new casual players go blind through this hack: Most would never ever see the bad ending since they'd just go through the bosses one after another.

Having Zero get infected a certain number of times (say, 9 times? once per stage +1) as an override towards the bad ending, would that be acceptable?

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2021, 03:37:11 am »
Honestly, there should still be a way to have the shuttle fail after defeating all bosses, otherwise it's gonna feel like you have to go out of your way and sequence break by launching the shuttle manually (through the easily missable submenu command) or let time run out in purpose to trigger the bad ending instead of being a real -yet easily avoidable- possibility. Let's imagine the romhacking utopia of having new casual players go blind through this hack: Most would never ever see the bad ending since they'd just go through the bosses one after another.

Having Zero get infected a certain number of times (say, 9 times? once per stage +1) as an override towards the bad ending, would that be acceptable?

The thing is, the actual behavior of RNG mechanic for Shuttle was more annoying than actually interesting if you're just unlucky enough to the point you can't get the desired ending. Saying that, I wouldn't mind seeing Enigma reverted back to be just like in original (if go to Enigma operation without beating a stage you still have a (relatively low) chance to success Enigma) Maybe adding address related to that part to the customizable section in the readme?

So that Start button can be made functional in cutscene now, maybe introducing a function that holding extra Button combinations before (or during?) cutscene to make result always follow the desired route?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 03:46:16 am by Aceearly1993 »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 01, 2021, 11:47:39 am »
To me, that seems even more obscure to me than using the manual launch in the menu.

Anyway, I’m done working with the rng stuff. I’ll just add the data to revert it back to normal in the readme.

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 02, 2021, 12:30:04 am »
v2.0 BETA 16
- Various Incomplete Armors palettes fixes.

I tackled all of the incomplete armor palettes issues I was aware of:
- Stage Select Screen, when going back from the player select menu with an incomplete armor selected, the custom palette would be applied to unarmored X later.
- Custom palettes not being applied in stages that don't start with the player beamed into the stage (Volt Kraken stage, Dynamo encounters)
- Custom palettes reverting to normal during death animation.
- Custom palettes reverting to normal after beating a boss in the boss rush.

There might be still some issues I missed.

Anyway, I’m done working with the rng stuff. I’ll just add the data to revert it back to normal in the readme.

Tested the palette of the incomplete armors. Seems ok to me now.
However, I notice it affected 3/4 of the demo play.
Not sure how much it will affect those who want to revert back the enigma success without parts later when you include it in readme.
I mean the method you show us earlier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfD7ez0aejw

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 02, 2021, 09:38:02 am »
However, I notice it affected 3/4 of the demo play.
What do you mean? 🤔

Not sure how much it will affect those who want to revert back the enigma success without parts later when you include it in readme.
I mean the method you show us earlier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfD7ez0aejw

If you try the method of the video with the current hack, it will behave like vanilla if you have one or more Enigma upgrades, but ignore the RNG chance and always fail if you don't have any upgrades on your save.
If you revert the Enigma launch behavior back to normal, it will always behave by the RNG.

Here's a more detailed explanation:

Code: [Select]
Enigma/Shuttle Launch RNG Exceptions
This hack adds three exceptions to the normal success chance of
the Enigma/Shuttle launch:
- Enigma launched with no upgrades will always fail
- Shuttle launched with no upgrades will also always fail
- Shuttle launched with all upgrades will always succeed

Any other situation will use the normal success chance: a random
number is drawn, and the threshold for that value to be a success
increases with each upgrade. It is apparently also affected by
the number of times Zero gets the "VIRUS" status in-game.

Reverting any of these to the original value will remove the jump
to the new code, and will make that trigger to behave normally.

You should be able to mix them safely. You could, for example,
revert the Enigma launch to normal while keeping the Shuttle
launch modification.

Enigma Launch from Menu (Always fail with no parts)
BIN Address: 20B2B0
HEX Data Original: DEB7000C
HEX Data Modified: 71460008

Shuttle Launch from Menu (Always fail with no upgrades. Always succeed with all parts)
BIN Address: 16F888
HEX Data Modified: 7B460008

Shuttle Launch from Cutscene When Completed (Always succeed)
BIN Address: 20E978
HEX Data Modified: 3FE80308

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 02, 2021, 02:04:20 pm »
What do you mean? 🤔

The v2.0 Beta 16 fixes the palette of the incomplete armors but 3/4 (Intro, volcano and Jungle stage) of the behavior from the demo play has changed. Beta 15 demo play still the same as vanilla. In other word, I doubt the rng method from the youtube can be use on Beta 16 even if someone try to revert back the enigma to original. You know, the 6 frames success for Enigma from the demo play.

Yup, it's true. I just tested it. The 6 frames method still can be used on the older v2.0 Beta 15 by converting back the Enigma to original.
BIN Address:       20B2B0
HEX Data Original:    DEB7000C
HEX Data Modified:    71460008
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 01:47:44 am by injoon84 »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2021, 09:15:13 pm »
The v2.0 Beta 16 fixes the palette of the incomplete armors but 3/4 (Intro, volcano and Jungle stage) of the behavior from the demo play has changed. Beta 15 demo play still the same as vanilla. In other word, I doubt the rng method from the youtube can be use on Beta 16 even if someone try to revert back the enigma to original. You know, the 6 frames success for Enigma from the demo play.

Yup, it's true. I just tested it. The 6 frames method still can be used on the older v2.0 Beta 15 by converting back the Enigma to original.
BIN Address:       20B2B0
HEX Data Original:    DEB7000C
HEX Data Modified:    71460008
I think it has something to do with Disable the double tap forward command dash. In my backup of v2.0 Beta 15 if command dash is restored the automatic demonstration is the same as original, but If disabled command dash the automatic demonstration is broken (not reaching the point where X should be in the original when the demonstration ended). My guess is one or more double tap forward inputs are involved within the pre-recorded input command purposed for automatic demonstration.
EDIT: Just went through the Beta 16, the automatic demonstration difference caused by disable double tap forward command dash also applies. I wonder how hard it is to directly edit the input command itself in the auto demonstration acediez? Since you completely disabled auto demonstration at the time you deal with X6 Tweaks once specific action related changes are checked, I suppose it's not GUI-level easy to modify that?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:12:05 am by Aceearly1993 »

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2021, 11:59:27 pm »
EDIT: Just went through the Beta 16, the automatic demonstration difference caused by disable double tap forward command dash also applies.

Yup, you're absolutely correct! My mistake. It has nothing to do with Beta 15 or 16. If the "double tap dash" is enable back, the demo play will be exactly like the vanilla. So the only problem regarding re-enable "double tap" is it sometimes cause Zero to be invincible to body contact with enemies.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 04, 2021, 06:06:33 am »
Yup, you're absolutely correct! My mistake. It has nothing to do with Beta 15 or 16. If the "double tap dash" is enable back, the demo play will be exactly like the vanilla. So the only problem regarding re-enable "double tap" is it sometimes cause Zero to be invincible to body contact with enemies.
Also tried a bit 0 part Enigma, with Fourth Armor's Nova Strike restored, Manually Manipulate method succeed, the dull method (no manipulation, enter a stage, attack something, then go back to main menu, repeat over and over until success) also no problem
Now trying if it breaks the modified gauranteed success of Shuttle.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:24:46 am by Aceearly1993 »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2021, 02:56:40 pm »
It makes sense. In X6, the changes in dash speed and lengths broke the demo completely (the "player" getting stuck at the start). So I simply removed it, I had more fun things to work on.
Same goes for X5, I don't think anyone cares about the demo play that much. If a speedrunner wants to preserve the enigma trick, they still have the option to reenable the double tap and revert the Enigma launch exception.

Anyway, today's update is rather special...

v2.0 BETA 17
- Incomplete Armors: pause menu mugshots for incomplete armors are now implemented. Updates on the fly when armor is completed while in use.
- Z-Buster: slightly reduced startup wait time. Addresses added to the readme.
- Damage Tables: X/Zero boss fights tweaked. Damage reduction softened (but still harder/longer than vanilla). Previous version kept on the readme.

This completes the planned set of features for the current batch of releases 🥂
I'll take a few days to give it some test and maybe touch up on a few minor additional things, but this is pretty much what non-BETA v2.0 should look like.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:53:12 pm by acediez »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 04, 2021, 05:27:17 pm »
It makes sense. In X6, the changes in dash speed and lengths broke the demo completely (the "player" getting stuck at the start). So I simply removed it, I had more fun things to work on.
Same goes for X5, I don't think anyone cares about the demo play that much. If a speedrunner wants to preserve the enigma trick, they still have the option to reenable the double tap and revert the Enigma launch exception.

Anyway, today's update is rather special...

v2.0 BETA 17
- Incomplete Armors: pause menu mugshots for incomplete armors are now implemented. Updates on the fly when armor is completed while in use.
- Z-Buster: slightly reduced startup wait time. Addresses added to the readme.
- Damage Tables: X/Zero boss fights tweaked. Damage reduction softened (but still harder/longer than vanilla). Previous version kept on the readme.

This completes the planned set of features for the current batch of releases 🥂
I'll take a few days to give it some test and maybe touch up on a few minor additional things, but this is pretty much what non-BETA v2.0 should look like.

I can't wait to run this!

Girotin

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.11 and v2.0 BETA 17)
« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2021, 11:07:51 pm »
Ay, hello there;
I wanted to suggest a little thing, that isn't actually very important to contribute to the game at all, but would be nice having if possible;

I really like the new bgms added on the mod, and I find very cool that we can also keep the all the default ones if we want too, but I'll be a little annoying here, so I'll apologize already if I'm disturbing in someway;

I grew up with the regular "american" opening song playing at the beginning of the game, and I really don't think that the japanese choice for the fmv actually fits very well with the animation (I know that this is pretty much personal taste, but I think I'm not the only one that thinks that way with X5), and also, I pretty much like to watch those openings sometimes when I play Megaman games like these, or games that have openings in general to get me pumped up to play, even if I already watched the thing like 34290249320 times;

While I really like ALL the new songs added in the mod, I really wanted to have that only specific opening song kept by default ~ For nostalgia, and personal taste reasons.

If this isn't possible/takes too much work to be done I'll understand already and will not complain about it again, but it would be really nice having another download option with everything like the new script, modded bgms and all, but only having the opening song not changed... if possible =)