News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.6.4)  (Read 79992 times)

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.6.4)
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2021, 07:05:59 am »
Wanted to point out what I believe is a small context error, during Zero's ending.  Zero wonder "Why did I fight the Sigma again?", but I think he should be asking "Why am I fighting Sigma again?".
That comes straight from Hondoori. Not gonna argue with the translator.

In the Training stage, if you pause and select quit, you get an Alia results screen, and going to the stage select afterwards immediately puts you at the last stage.

I have no idea if that's just me.
I should just remove the exit button from the training stage.

In general, I wish the script had more...flavor, I guess? X5's script was inaccurate and awkward, but another problem was that it was dry, and this retranslation doesn't do much to fix that. X4's dialogue felt more "western" in its delivery, and when you look at MHX and X8, those games' scripts feel more natural. I guess what I'm saying is I would've preferred a more Woolsey-ish localization job. Mega Man is a fun series, so have more fun with the scripts.
Yeah, let's add some Guns 'n Roses references while we're at it.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2021, 10:00:17 am »
So it seems there's yet another X5 prototype build (labeled July 28, 2000) being dumped just yesterday. Acediez have you examined how the player battle voice works in this build and in final? The K.O. screams of X and Zero from May 1, 2000 prototype were still in this build, but with X's voice actor changed to Shōtarō Morikubo, Zero's K.O. scream also removed in final for some reason. I'm curious if there would even exist a possibility to restore the K.O. screams.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

LeonHelsing

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2021, 01:00:15 pm »
The K.O. screams of X and Zero from May 1, 2000 prototype were still in this build, but with X's voice actor changed to Shōtarō Morikubo
You sure? Still sounds like the one from X4 to me.

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2021, 01:45:23 pm »
Mega Man X5 v1.6.4 bugs, typos and suggestions report using emulator ePSXe205:

I will still include whatever bugs and typos not yet fixed in my earlier report except the suggestions.
This time, I manage to cover all the possibilities until beating the earlier 4 Mavericks. All thanks to you and Aceearly1993.
It took me quite some time as I test it from scratch again. Still, I'm glad I did as I notice some bugs that never happened in the earlier version.

1) Title Screen black screen freeze [It was totally fine in v1.6.2]
Bug: Black screen freeze after leaving the game play the demo. Fail to display the Capcom logo with X and Zero.

2) OPTION [Go into OPTION from the title screen. It was totally fine in v1.6.2]
Bug: Unknown symbol instead of 'S' for 'SOUND'.
*OUND TEST

3) Screen Configuration alignment off [Already there since the Improvement Project, I guess?]

4) Ultimate Armor X Weapon Menu Screen
Bug: Unknown symbol instead of 'P' for 'Perform'. [Don't forget about this one]
GIGA  ATTACK
*erform the
invincible dash.

5) Weapon Menu Screen and Save File when playing as Zero. Still unresolved since Darksamus993's version.
Bug: Wrong color palette for 'buster plus' and 'speed shot' parts. They were still in grey instead of green.

6) Training
a) Suggestion: Press the Attack button repeatedly to perform a very powerful 3 hits combination attack. If you want to cancel it, (Play as Zero)
Alia:
Z Saber. Press the Attack
button repeatedly, then you
Alia:
can perform very powerful
actions. If you want to
Alia:
cancel a combination attack,
just jump or crouch.

b) Suggestion: Enemy below you. (Play as X)
Alia:
Enemy in the hole under you.
Remember: Your shot attack

c) Suggestion: Enemy in the lower ground. You can attack the enemy with your saber, but there's some risk because (Play as Zero)
Alia:
Enemy in the hole
underground. You can attack
Alia:
the enemy with your saber,
but there's some risk,
Alia:
because you have to get
close to them... In this

d) Typo: combination attacks! (Play as Zero) [Don't forget this]
Alia:
you can perform
conbination attacks!

e) Suggestion: Jump to the wall, and if you touch the wall, jump again! (Play as either X or Zero)
Alia:
High wall without a ladder.
Jump to the wall, and if you
Alia:
touch the wall, then jump
again! You can climb the
Alia:
wall by kicking it. Keep
jumping from the wall and
Alia:
climb to the top.

f) Suggestion: Jump to it, and when you touch it, press the Up button to grab the rope. (Play as either X or Zero)
Alia:
Can you see the yellow rope
in front of you? Jump to it,
Alia:
and when you touch it, press
the Up button. Then you can
Alia:
grab the rope.

g) Typo: Remove either one of the words " I ". (Play as Zero)
Alia:
boss of the Training Area. I
I have emulated Magma

7) Intro stage
a) Suggestion: Zero, go back to the Base for now. (Play as X)
X:
I know... Zero, go back to
the base for now. It's

b) Suggestion: Witness the true power of a Maverick...in death! (Play as Zero)
Sigma:
Witness the true power of a
Maverick... in death!

c) Suggestion: On top of that, the Space Colony Eurasia is heading straight towards Earth. (After beating Sigma)
Signas:
disorder. On top of that,
the Space Colony Eurasia, is
Signas:
heading straight towards
Earth. At this rate, it's

d) Suggestion: We also have the Space Shuttle. (After beating Sigma)
Alia:
old. We also have a space
shuttle. But because the

8 ) The destruction rate 'numbers and %' seems to be stick together during these events:
[Don forget to fix these. Maybe extra spacing between the 'number and %' can fix the issue.]
a) Enigma fail at 62%
Alia:
No good! We destroyed only
62%!

b) Space Shuttle destruction fail at the rate of 54%
Alia:
The destruction rate is
54%... The colony won't be

c) Space Shuttle destruction success at the rate of 86%
Alia:
Destruction of the colony
is...86% ! It will be wiped

9) The event of Zero becomes Maverick when the mission failed
Typo: Remove either one of the word 'things'. [Don't forget this]
X:
correctly as data." We have
to feel... There are things
X:
things that we can only
feel... I feel it very

10) Crescent Grizzly's stage
a) Suggestion: know that too. Besides, (Play as X before launching Enigma)
Crescent Grizzly:
destiny... I'm sure you
know that, too. Besides,

b) Suggestion: (Conversation with Dr. Light. Play as Zero)
    Dr. Light: You are...Zero, aren't you?
    Zero: Who...are you...?
Dr. Light:
You are... Zero, aren't you?
Zero:
Who... are you...?

c) Suggestion: I'll give you a program for X's Armor. (Conversation with Dr. Light. Play as Zero)
Dr. Light:
I'll give you a program for
X's armor. Analyze and

d) Not sure: "error" or "errors"? (Conversation with Dr. Light. Play as Zero)
Dr. Light:
must be a fragment created
by some error... I wouldn't

e) Not sure: My scar ache at the sight of you... (Play as Zero on either need or no need the parts.)
Crescent Grizzly:
Zero! My scars ache at the
sight of you... What's this?

f) Suggestion: the Orichalum... There's no time... (Play as Zero before launching Enigma)
Zero:
the Orichalum...there's no
time...

g) Suggestion: I don't care for old stories... If it's a fight you want, I'll take you on. (Play as Zero before launching Enigma)
Zero:
I don't care for old
stories...if it's a fight
Zero:
you want, I'll take you on.

11) Volt Kraken's stage
a) Typo: Remove either one of the word 'what' in the dialogue boxes. (Play as either X or Zero)
Alia:
You did it! The door has
been broken! I wonder what
Alia:
what is inside...? Proceed
with care...

b) Suggestion: Please give my regards to X. (Play as Zero)
Dr. Light:
special weapons and triumph!
And give my best to X.

c) Suggestion: Lab scientists are still in custody. (Play as either X or Zero)
Alia:
A lab scientist is in
custody. Save them and let

d) Suggestion: work...and of course we'll like to obtain one. (Play as either X or Zero)
Alia:
them escape. There might be
some cartridges in this
Alia:
laboratory that still
work... We'll want to obtain
Alia:
one, of course.

e) Suggestion: That's what Maverick Hunters do. (Play as X before launching Enigma)
Volt Kraken:
It's what Maverick Hunters
do. It's natural to take out

f) Not sure: What makes you come here, X? (Play as X when no need Enigma)
Volt Kraken:
Ghaaa ha ha ha ha!
What made you come here, X?

g) Not sure: 'taking' or 'talking' ? (Play as Zero before launching Enigma)
Zero:
Oh, please. I'm not good at
taking that kind of tone, so

h) Bug: All this in one dialogue box. (Play as Zero before launching Enigma)
Zero:
out there, right?
Volt Kraken:
Take it... But you're
blissfully ignorant, aren't

i) Suggestion: Remove coma. (Play as Zero before launching Enigma)
Zero:
...You've been infected,
too. I'll put you to rest

j) Bug: All this in one dialogue box. (Play as Zero when no need Enigma)
[Also, Zero has the same line as in i). You better check whether they affect one another or not!]
Volt Kraken:
Hunter! I'll terminate you!
Zero:
...You've been infected,
too. I'll put you to rest

12) Shinning Firefly's stage
a) Suggestion: I hope he is willing to give us one, but...I also heard (Play as either X or Zero before launching Enigma)
Alia:
laser he created will be of
great use for the Enigma. I
Alia:
hope that he will be willing
to give one to us, but... I
Alia:
heard he is rather stubborn,
so this might not be easy.

b) Suggestion: (Play as X)
    original shot / Spear Charge Shot / piercing Charge Shot.
    However, you can't charge your special weapons as this Armor specializes in mobility.
    If you really want to enhance your attacking power, use a different Armor.
Dr. Light:
original shot, but you can't
charge your special weapons.
Dr. Light:
As this armor specializes in
mobility, if you want to
Dr. Light:
enhance your attack power,
use a different armor.

c) Typo: Remove either one of the word 'original' in the dialogue boxes. (Play as Zero)
    Suggestion: Why not use either 'Spear Charge Shot' or 'piercing Charge Shot' instead of 'original shot'?
Dr. Light:
arm part, X can maximize
and attack with the original
Dr. Light:
original shot, but he can't
charge his special weapons.

d) Suggestion: (Play as Zero) Con't from c)
    original shot / Spear Charge Shot / piercing Charge Shot.
    However, he can't charge his special weapons as this Armor specializes in mobility.
    If he really wants to enhance his attacking power, he should use a different Armor.
Dr. Light:
As this armor specializes in
mobility, if he wants to
Dr. Light:
enhance his attack power, he
should use a different
Dr. Light:
armor. Please give this
message to X.

e) Suggestion: This lab is so badly infected by the virus. There was just no other way for me to enter. (Play as X before launching Enigma)
X:
This lab is so badly
infected by the virus, that
X:
there was no other way for
me to enter.

f) Suggestion: Professor, now is not the time for us to argue! (Play as X before launching Enigma)
X:
Professor, now is not the
time to for us to argue!

g) Suggestion: My body...has already been infected too. (Play as X before launching Enigma)
Shining Firefly:
My body...has already been
infected, too. I am well

h) Suggestion: No... It's too late... My consciousness is... (Play as X when no need Enigma)
Shining Firefly:
No... it's too late...
my consciousness is...

i) Suggestion: Doctor...please...rest in peace... (Play as X when no need Enigma)
X:
Doctor... please...
rest in peace...

j) Suggestion: I've already been infected by the virus. (Play as Zero on either need or no need the parts)
Shining Firefly:
Yes, you are. I've already
been infected by the Virus.

k) Suggestion: Now, fight me and grant me peace! (Play as Zero on either need or no need the parts)
Shining Firefly:
Now fight me and grant
me peace!

l) Suggestion: Anyway, thank you for your work. (Alia's Mission Complete Report when no need the Enigma)
Alia:
the LASER DEVICE, we don't
need it anymore. Thank you
Alia:
for your work, anyway. We'll
meet you at the Hunter Base.

13) Tidal Whale's Stage
a) Suggestion: under the fin of the huge ship, "U-555". But if you want to continue, I won't stop you. (Play as either X or Zero when no need the parts)
Alia:
under the fin of the huge
ship, the U-555. But if you
Alia:
want to go here, I won't
stop you.

b) Typo: cooperation. (Play as X before launching Enigma)
X:
Yes. If you understand, I
would like to have your
X:
cooperatation.

c) Suggestion: Enigma... This (Play as Zero before launching Enigma)
Tidal Whale:
You need a large amount of
hydrogen for Enigma...this
Tidal Whale:
ocean is necessary for that,
correct?

d) Suggestion: Zero... As my final memory, (Play as Zero before launching Enigma)
Tidal Whale:
I've already been infected,
Zero...as my final memory,
Tidal Whale:
won't you battle with me one
last time? A duel between

e) Suggestion: However, I'm afraid you are too late... (Play as Zero when no need the parts)
Tidal Whale:
Zero...it's been a long
time. However, you are too
Tidal Whale:
late, I'm afraid... How are
things ashore?

f) Suggestion: infected... As my final memory, (Play as Zero before launching Enigma)
Tidal Whale:
...The end of the world? I
am also been infected...as my
Tidal Whale:
final memory, won't you
battle me one last time?

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2021, 01:55:19 pm »
Another bug: without Alia's text, the timer for the first exploding truck never starts in Grizzly's stage, so the truck never explodes. You'll keep hearing explosion sounds until you get to the final area.

Yeah, let's add some Guns 'n Roses references while we're at it.
A middle ground isn't impossible to achieve. All I'm saying is the text could be less verbose and literal, while still conveying the same information. There's a reason even modern localization jobs are not accurate to the letter.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2021, 05:01:21 pm »
Thanks again for such a detailed bug report injoon84! I'll post an update once I go through them. I need to fix a few things with the font and text spacing too, so I'll take a couple of days.

In the meantime, rest assured I already fixed all known regressions:
- Grizzly's stage freeze. Just a dumb oversight.
- Training stage freeze. No idea what caused it, but it's not happening anymore.
- Wrong Palettes of Parts. This was fine in the original Improvement Project, but it had been imported to Addendum incorrectly.
- Digits in the screen alignment menu out of place. This had to do with how some shared elements were changed for the redesigned save menu. I reverted the changes made to the shared elements, and realigned them on the save menu through code.
- "Z-Saber" and "Z-Buster" names on Zero's Pause Menu. This got really confusing, so I'll break down how we got what we got:
   - The intended behavior is to have Z-Buster displayed when you have it, and Z-Saber when you didn't.
   - The original game correctly displayed "Z-Buster", but the "Z-Saber" was wrongly named "Giga Attack".
   - The original Improvement Project replaced "Z-Buster" for "Z-Saber" (mistakenly?), but only in the name (not the icon or description). The wrongly named "Giga Attack" was still there, but you never saw it because you always had the Z-Buster.
   - So now, I've restored the name "Z-Buster" from the original, and replaced "Giga Attack" with "Z-Saber" instead. You won't normally see it though, since we still have the Z-Buster always available. So, just in case someone got attached to having the Z-Saber displayed in the menu instead of the Z-Buster, I'll include it as an optional hack in the readme.

A middle ground isn't impossible to achieve. All I'm saying is the text could be less verbose and literal, while still conveying the same information. There's a reason even modern localization jobs are not accurate to the letter.
Sure, it's possible. There's also a reason why there's a dozen retranslations and relocalizations for Final Fantasy 6: it's impossible to satisfy every single player's vision of how it should be. So, I won't try. Besides, script editing is not the fun part of this hack for me. I really only did it because Ghaleonh41 edited all the text files for me, and from now, I will only fix obvious typos and font issues.

If you don't consider it an improvement, you can always stay with v1.5. Personally, as I'm not from USA and don't share your taste for "flavor" "westernization", I very much prefer a more literal translation of what the original game said.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:10:29 pm by acediez »

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2021, 06:22:35 pm »
If you don't consider it an improvement, you can always stay with v1.5. Personally, as I'm not from USA and don't share your taste for "flavor" "westernization", I very much prefer a more literal translation of what the original game said.

Nothing to do with from U.S. It has to do with proper english. Just from looking at the screens above from the zero/Sigma interaction. The dialog seems kind of stupid. It's obvious to anyone anyone who speaks English that a literal translation is NEVER the way to go. It's always better to be meaningful and have it sound good at the very least.

Raykusen

• No value for sugarcoating. 100% for being honest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2021, 02:52:20 am »
Hi Acediez

I only have one simple request: Please add an option to skip cutscenes.

While X5 is being way better thanks to the gameplay fixes made by you, the lack of a cutscene skip feature makes this game a chore to play since it kills the pacing (and this game have tons of cutscenes).

I hope you can implement this in a future update  :)

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2021, 11:46:47 am »
So it seems there's yet another X5 prototype build (labeled July 28, 2000) being dumped just yesterday. Acediez have you examined how the player battle voice works in this build and in final?

I haven't checked the prototype, but maybe the voice clip is still in the final game's files? I'll take a look.

Nothing to do with from U.S. It has to do with proper english. Just from looking at the screens above from the zero/Sigma interaction. The dialog seems kind of stupid. It's obvious to anyone anyone who speaks English that a literal translation is NEVER the way to go. It's always better to be meaningful and have it sound good at the very least.

Specific lines suggestions are always welcome and considered, but this "do a whole new script until I like it" attitude you have won't get you anywhere. Bye, go make your own hack.

I only have one simple request: Please add an option to skip cutscenes.
I hope you can implement this in a future update  :)

I've worked on this before. I have a half-working implementation, works fine on some situations, but others freeze the game. I ended up dropping it in favor of the fast forward because it was safer for the time being.
I'm in the middle of several other modifications, so no promises, but a proper cutscene skip that works like in X6 would be the end goal.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:14:43 pm by acediez »

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2021, 01:15:24 pm »
Specific lines suggestions are always welcome and considered, but this "do a whole new script until I like it" attitude you have won't get you anywhere. Bye, go make your own hack.
Why are you acting like such an ass?

Yes, it is your hack and you can do what you want with it, but this whole "fuck you" attitude you have towards a very reasonable and respectful criticism is completely unnecessary. Nobody here is "demanding" you completely redo the script. Nobody is being unreasonable, or unappreciative of your efforts. It was only ever a suggestion to make a few lines flow as if English is Zero's first language. Someone already gave you a suggestion for a specific line and your response was "that's what the translator said, not gonna change it". So it doesn't really seem like those are "welcome and considered".

You say "just play 1.5 if you don't like it" but that's hardly a fair option when 1.5 doesn't have any of the bugfixes or extra features of later versions. Your script is still technically better than the default script from 2000, but that doesn't make it flawless or immune from respectful criticism. The fact that you characterize all these complaints as people from the USA who like inaccurate and westernized scripts makes no sense. I assume English isn't your first language? Look at Mexico's dubs, Japan's dubs, or France's dubs. They're not literal, they simply localize it into their dialects so that it's believable that the characters would be saying these lines out loud.

This is the last time I'm going to push this subject since you seem to not want to budge on it. Just consider not lashing out at anyone who critiques this hack.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2021, 01:45:06 pm »
This is the last time I'm going to push this subject since you seem to not want to budge on it. Just consider not lashing out at anyone who critiques this hack.
That's cool. I didn't open the discussion on whether this is the style of writing you guys wanted in the first place (much less you, specifically).

I already explained the whys and whynots of the current scripts: I'm not making my own subjective choices on it, it's just the edited script I got as a contribution, edited game files and all. It so happens to be one I'm perfectly satisfied with. But it's not the focus of this project. I'm only willing to make critical corrections to it. And I'll consider specific lines suggestions, sure, but that's about as far as I'm willing to go. I want to go back to actual gameplay hacks asap.

You say "just play 1.5 if you don't like it" but that's hardly a fair option when 1.5 doesn't have any of the bugfixes or extra features of later versions.

What do you mean "fair"? Need I remind you I'm doing this as a hobby? I don't have any obligation to please every single kid who comes here. I take suggestions all the time, several features come from them, and I love discussing ideas, even for things that are out of my current skillset. But it's still down to how I decide to spend my free time.

That being said, the current version (1.6.x) is ONLY meant for polishing up the new script implementation and possible bugs caused by it (not sure what other "bugfixes or extra features" you're talking about, besides the Navigator option, which is tied to the script change too). It's explained right there in the update announcement. But future updates, with actual new features, WILL have a "no retranslation/font changes" variant, along with the "no music changes" previously discussed. So there you go.

Fionordequester

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2021, 01:30:45 pm »
That comes straight from Hondoori. Not gonna argue with the translator.

Don't worry—I've talked with him before.  He's a friendly guy.  He's not the sort to mind questions for clarification.  He'll be the first to tell you that he's always learning, as well (as am I).  Not saying he isn't great at what he does, or that I'm better than him (I assure you I'm not), but there's never any harm double-checking.

Anyway, I took a look at the script dump he posted, and sure enough, the sentence reads like this:

…はっ!死ね!シグマ!…………うん?おかしい…シグマウィルスを倒したのになんでまた、シグマと…戦っているんだ

「戦っているんだ」 is the verb that Zero's using to mean "fight/make war on/attack/etc.", but it's in Te-iru-form. It's an action that's ongoing.  "Why am I fighting Sigma again?"

So, the full sentence (written as literally as I can while still being legible)...

"...Ha!  Die!  Sigma!...Um?  Strange... [The] Sigma Virus [was] defeated but, Sigma...[I'm] fighting [him] again?"

EDIT: Ah, there we go. 

Anyway, you did nothing wrong, nor did you or Keekiyasan (that's what he's called) fail in any way.  It's just Japanese is tricky enough that a spot-check here and there is always a good idea when something seems weird.  Hope I didn't offend!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:00:21 pm by Fionordequester »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2021, 02:58:44 pm »
Hope I didn't offend!

lmao, not at all. It's not the script criticism what ticked me off, it's the rudeness (I'm definitely not taking kindly to people saying a collaborator's work simply sounds "stupid"), and the entitlement of a couple of posters.

But as I said, I'm grateful for any specific lines suggestions like this. And thank you very much for going straight to the source to double check. I'll edit it as you suggested on your first post.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2021, 02:04:42 am »
Now just here to share a small info about the July 28, 2000 prototype while I was organizing stuff in the TCRF page.
In the July 28, 2000 prototype, player was able to hold Select+Start to force the game to soft reset anywhere, even during any story scenario or text dialogue. My guess is at some point of development, the game did not disable input from Start button press during story scenario times.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2021, 02:26:20 am »
I'm going out on a limb and suggest the critics are missing the mark completely.
Maybe the translation is flat, because the Japanese script is flat. Ever consider that? ::)

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2021, 10:09:56 am »
Now just here to share a small info about the July 28, 2000 prototype while I was organizing stuff in the TCRF page.
In the July 28, 2000 prototype, player was able to hold Select+Start to force the game to soft reset anywhere, even during any story scenario or text dialogue. My guess is at some point of development, the game did not disable input from Start button press during story scenario times.
The input read is not an issue... In fact, for the current version's fast forward, I already added a custom functionality for the start button on cutscenes. The challenge was that every cutscene has its code for ending the sequence in the last page, and it was slightly different whether it should take you to the stage select screen (most of them), to another cutscene (enigma/shuttle), or the credits roll (the endings). I couldn't find a single "end cutscene" solution that would work as intended in ALL cases.

But anyway, since you guys reminded me of it, I gave it another go. I figured out one solution that would work for most of them, then added some hard coded exceptions here and there for the rest of them, and... good news! I actually have a proper cutscene (and dialogues!) START button skip implemented now. It's hacky af, but hasn't given me any issues (so far).

Let's take it one step at a time though. I'm saving this one among other cool features until after we're done polishing up the script/font release.
The next one will only be about fixing typos, bugs, and improving the text alignment/spacing. Once we test that one throughly, I'll consider the script work done and move on to give you more fun updates.

I'm going out on a limb and suggest the critics are missing the mark completely.
Maybe the translation is flat, because the Japanese script is flat. Ever consider that? ::)
That's very a good point  :laugh:
Either way, most of you just want to skip as much of it as possible!

kkdavilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2021, 11:56:09 pm »
I'm saving this one among other cool features until after we're done polishing up the script/font release.
More new features? Sick! Thanks so much for putting so much love into this old game. Any chance one of those possible new features is a palette change for ultimate armor to match x4? if not no big deal, I think I'm one of the only people who even care about it anyway lol.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2021, 10:12:41 am »
More new features? Sick! Thanks so much for putting so much love into this old game. Any chance one of those possible new features is a palette change for ultimate armor to match x4? if not no big deal, I think I'm one of the only people who even care about it anyway lol.
Nope, but you can change it yourself. Look for the palette data on the game's bin, and replace it. If you don't know how, follow the instructions in the readme.

Look for this data:
Code: [Select]
Ultimate Armor Palette (X5):
0000 BC90 AC8C FAAD BBC6 06D3 23B6 24B1 17EB 72D6 8ABD C59C 07EE A6E5 04D5 C4BC
0000 BFCB 3DA2 95A1 DD94 AC8C 9BFF B4DE 2FD2 69B9 C49C E083 69F6 E7ED 24E1 A3C4

And replace with this:
Ultimate Armor Palette (X4):
0000 DD94 AC8C FAAD FDCE 71F2 71DD 6CD0 9BFB B4DE 69B9 C49C 69F6 E7ED 24D9 A3C4
0000 BFCB 3DA2 95A1 9E88 EB94 9BFF B4DE 2FD2 69B9 C49C C8EB 69F6 C8ED 45C1 E3AC

That should modify the player file. That's actually two palette sets: Ultimate Armor (second line), and unarmored X underneath (first line).
Besides that, you'll find two other instances of the armor palette in the file (the character select screen is one, not sure about the other one. Could be unused)
To change those, do another search, this time only for the second line, and replace with the second line from X4.

I'm not giving you the exact addresses because the position could change from update to update. But you should be able to find them with the search function of any hexadecimal editor on any version of the game.

kkdavilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2021, 06:15:45 pm »
Thanks my man, thats alot more to go off and work with then i woulda thought. Cheers and excited to see the future of this project.

SpringSonic9187

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2021, 01:11:20 pm »
Nope, but you can change it yourself. Look for the palette data on the game's bin, and replace it. If you don't know how, follow the instructions in the readme.

Look for this data:
Ultimate Armor Palette (X5):
0000 BC90 AC8C FAAD BBC6 06D3 23B6 24B1 17EB 72D6 8ABD C59C 07EE A6E5 04D5 C4BC
0000 BFCB 3DA2 95A1 DD94 AC8C 9BFF B4DE 2FD2 69B9 C49C E083 69F6 E7ED 24E1 A3C4

And replace with this:
Ultimate Armor Palette (X4):
0000 DD94 AC8C FAAD FDCE 71F2 71DD 6CD0 9BFB B4DE 69B9 C49C 69F6 E7ED 24D9 A3C4
0000 BFCB 3DA2 95A1 9E88 EB94 9BFF B4DE 2FD2 69B9 C49C C8EB 69F6 C8ED 45C1 E3AC

That should modify the player file. That's actually two palette sets: Ultimate Armor (second line), and unarmored X underneath (first line).
Besides that, you'll find two other instances of the armor palette in the file (the character select screen is one, not sure about the other one. Could be unused)
To change those, do another search, this time only for the second line, and replace with the second line from X4.

I'm not giving you the exact addresses because the position could change from update to update. But you should be able to find them with the search function of any hexadecimal editor on any version of the game.
Works like a charm, but is there some sort of limitation? Some certain palette remains unchanged in a few certain frames.