Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.1.3)

Started by acediez, October 22, 2019, 12:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aceearly1993

2.1.1 Readme issues:
-The "Enigma Launch from Menu" section in the readme did not match the current hex data anymore.
It doesn't seem to have other in game issues unless there're other emulator specific things that I could've missed.  (Just beat Xtreme difficulty as X)
Quote"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

erecyog

Quote from: acediez on July 18, 2022, 01:06:06 AMAs for not being able to save, I can't reproduce it, and it's unlikely that it's related to this hack. Probably something going on with your memory card file or your file permissions (maybe you're on a cloud service folder?)

Ok, turns out this was on my end.
Overclocking PS1 CPU on 2D games does wonky things sometimes.
You could disregard this issue.

acediez

Thank you so much Aceearly1993 for testing for a full playthrough so soon!

Just one more update with a couple of music improvements. If v2.1.1 was safe for a full playthrough, this one should be too.

v2.1.2
- The original Tidal Whale's stage track and Dr. Light tracks have been restored to their original length.
- Switching to the alternate track for Tidal Whale's stage (holding L1 before the stage starts) will switch the track permanently for that game session. Holding L1 again will switch it back to the default track, and so forth.
A couple of readme mistakes have been fixed. More information added to the music changes section.

Danielxz

Quote from: acediez on July 04, 2022, 01:53:28 AMThe main focus will be documenting and adjusting Boss Battle Parameters, such as:
- Base health bar sizes (regular Maverick fights)
- Health bar size changes by Level (regular Maverick fights)
- Max health bar size override (rematches and other end game bosses)
- Damage values of attacks
- Duration of certain phases (idle times, weaknesses effects)
- Speed of selected moves.
- Invincibility frames
hello, just sharing a few things, hope it can help, they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" maybe 'a video is worth a thousand picture'?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19sL86wBEfuKL1w_f4sABFMgGqQ82rqSJ/view
- i made a video showing different behaviours depending on the number you put on boss's Dmg Tables (STA column), maybe you can use it to make something interesting, but there's a problem, trying number (1,3,4,5,6) on Sigma (Intro Stage) / Shining Firefly / Tidal Whale / Spiral Pegasus / Spike Rosered / Dark Necrobat / Dynamo / Black Devil / Rangda Bangda W (Red Eye) / Rangda Bangda W (Star) / Rangda Bangda W (Green Eye) / Rangda Bangda W (Blue Eye) / X / 0 - Awakened 0 / Sigma (2nd Form, Head), will make them disappear (will remain only the hitbox), freeze or crash the game
- it will work on Crescent Grizzly and Burn Dinorex but its problematic because they fall of the screen or go through the walls on the right or left
- Volt Kraken (and Sigma 1st Form) doesnt seem to have any problem as you can see in the video, particulary i use number 5(only in volt kraken) in wing spiral and ground fire because they look very cool
- In general those options are very exploitables because bosses take a small stun and their attacks are interrupted, you can kill the boss easily dont allowing him to move or counterattack you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sH6dvErRjL4k4i7cSBe7DTv8nGAZnEyh/view
- this video is an example of how unbalanced some special are when changing iframes' Dmg Table (STA 00 DMG 01) and after is how i tried to balance them (it can be better but it's decent enough for now)
- i would like to point out that ground fire is much better this way, both visually and in-game (using STA 07)
- there are a few bosses that when using certain moves, they seem to have many hitboxes and because of that they take so much damage and die really fast, Sigma (Intro Stage), Dynamo when "taking a defensive posture" and spinning the saber in his hand
- and here an suggestion (X6 clips), X5 doesn't have a boss that has an exclusive "DmgTable" for its attacks, if certain attacks had their own "DmgTables" it would be possible to customize their fights (even a little), maybe changing existing one DmgTable for another one, heres an example, "842F8" is an DmgTable for an WALL in Burn Dinorex Stage
- i think gaea has a little visual bug when using giga attack, after changing this one on i-frames' DmgTables for STA 00 DMG 01 (acediez pls help my boy gaea :'( )
- and finally a little curiosity, i changed everything so i doesn't have to see any blue crystal and i dont know why but, goo shaver seems to activate those damned crystal in this purple eyed block and in every thing that is considered "Indestructible Blocks"(< rangda bangda's spikes are destructible, only the ones who grown from the wall) like Dr.Light Capsule, flying plataforms, maybe its another DmgTable whos unidentified? really dont know why

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PZtZIMrDK4enOh0SdrCo_Ki9Q1hgAvSI/view
- this one is a cool suggestion for a "optional hack" maybe?
starting here "9A138" and till "9A146" there are a few address about the buster and special weapons, but only 3 are important
* 9A138 - 9A139 with these 2 you can shot "infinitely" freezing the value in 0, 9A138 is mainly for the normal buster and the quantity of projectiles in the screen and 9A139 controls a few things about special weapons
* 9A146 and this one prevents you from firing consecutively charged special weapons, freezing in 0 you can shot it consecutively
with those 3 combined you can shot with normal buster, special weapon and charged special weapon all in "the same time" (it doesn't work with f-laser and ground fire), I forgot to show in the video :(

ZEROmaverick

Quote from: acediez on July 19, 2022, 03:44:32 AMThank you so much Aceearly1993 for testing for a full playthrough so soon!

Just one more update with a couple of music improvements. If v2.1.1 was safe for a full playthrough, this one should be too.

v2.1.2
- The original Tidal Whale's stage track and Dr. Light tracks have been restored to their original length.
- Switching to the alternate track for Tidal Whale's stage (holding L1 before the stage starts) will switch the track permanently for that game session. Holding L1 again will switch it back to the default track, and so forth.
A couple of readme mistakes have been fixed. More information added to the music changes section.

-I can confirm that now the loop for Dr Light's Capsule music works perfect, without any gaps. Only the intended fade out.

-Also confirm the Tidal Whale track is kept unless you click L1 before the stage starts again (it can be changed after you enter it from stage select menu, after you died in the stage, or after you continue that stage)

RitaXBianka90

Quote from: ZEROmaverick on July 19, 2022, 11:32:55 AM-I can confirm that now the loop for Dr Light's Capsule music works perfect, without any gaps. Only the intended fade out.

-Also confirm the Tidal Whale track is kept unless you click L1 before the stage starts again (it can be changed after you enter it from stage select menu, after you died in the stage, or after you continue that stage)
Good night, this option to hold the L1 also has the option of being able to change the music from Stage Select 2, I like the original one, although the beta one is good, it's just to make it more complete

acediez

Quote from: Danielxz on July 19, 2022, 10:59:36 AMhello, just sharing a few things, hope it can help, they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" maybe 'a video is worth a thousand picture'?
Thanks! I appreciate your detailed description with videos. But first things first. I won't stray too far from what I already set out to do until I finish that. We can take a look at more experimental stuff later.
But I am adding your entire post to my personal notes for future reference... specially the invincibility frames experiments, that's gonna come in handy.
(Btw, I just added the damage tables moves you identified to my latest workbook, forgot to thank you for that!)

Quote from: ZEROmaverick on July 19, 2022, 11:32:55 AM-I can confirm that now the loop for Dr Light's Capsule music works perfect, without any gaps. Only the intended fade out.

Thanks for confirming it's working well, that's just as useful as bug reports. I can confidently move on from this update now.

Quote from: RitaXBianka90 on July 19, 2022, 05:51:04 PMGood night, this option to hold the L1 also has the option of being able to change the music from Stage Select 2, I like the original one, although the beta one is good, it's just to make it more complete
Simply "more complete" is a never ending approach...
I get your point, but I'm satisfied with the current included options. You can still change it through hex editing instruction to the way you like it.

Aceearly1993

I have several things to discuss everyone.
1. At Grizzly Capsule dialogue (Zero) there's a sentence which says:
Dr. Light:  "...I wouldn't worry about it."
Zero: "I don't worry bout it, but when I saw you, I felt an urge to ask you..."
I'm not really sure, is this a typo?

2. Thank you so much for the upgrade of workbook acediez, I can now edit the lifebar size of rematch 8 bosses, it's located at

BIN address: 25AC8 (in v 2.x)
34A6FC0 (in unedited US original)
Hex Data Original: 60 00 02 24 7F 00 03 24

Swap the "7F" to anything lower than 7F in order to change lifebar length at rematch 8 bosses.

The "60" didn't really do anything beyond the level number displayed at rematch 8 bosses lifebar.

how much lifebar length do you feel more appropriate for rematch 8 bosses, everyone?

3. acediez do you have documented lifebar length address of Prism Guardian (Firefly midboss)?
Quote"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

acediez

Yes, the rematches lifebar size is already in the workbook because it's part of the ongoing work documenting boss parameters.

The lifebar sizes for mini bosses and others one-time bosses are most likely coded individually. If it's not in the current workbook, I haven't worked on it yet. But I'll get there.

G30FF

Quote from: Aceearly1993 on July 19, 2022, 10:13:36 PMI have several things to discuss everyone.
1. At Grizzly Capsule dialogue (Zero) there's a sentence which says:
Dr. Light:  "...I wouldn't worry about it."
Zero: "I don't worry bout it, but when I saw you, I felt an urge to ask you..."
I'm not really sure, is this a typo?

This one doesn't read like a typo to me. Zero is saying he doesn't worry about his visions, as per Light's suggestion that he shouldn't.

SuxMenner

Quote from: acediez on July 17, 2022, 09:58:13 AM- Dr. Light capsules: the Ultimate Armor capsule will play the alternate track (the original "Mega Man X1 Remix" track)

If this is a possibility, what do you think about applying this to the ending cutscenes? I imagine the impact of seeing Dr. Light's hologram would be improved by using the X1 Track instead of the beta.

ZEROmaverick

It can be done! it is in the README

I had the same idea and just changed the hexa for X's both ending! and it is awesome!

Dr. Light Capsule
BIN Address:    227DB8  Regular Capsules
BIN Address:    227DBC  Ultimate Armor Capsule
BIN Address:    20E0DC  Cutscene: Zero Virus (Colony Activated)
BIN Address:    2203F0  Cutscene: X's "Good Ending"
BIN Address:    223928  Cutscene: X's "Bad Ending"
HEX Data:        13        Dr. Light (Unused Track)
HEX Data:        24        Original (Mega Man X1 Remix)

Elyos03

Quote from: ZEROmaverick on July 20, 2022, 10:02:57 PMIt can be done! it is in the README

I had the same idea and just changed the hexa for X's both ending! and it is awesome!

Dr. Light Capsule
BIN Address:    227DB8  Regular Capsules
BIN Address:    227DBC  Ultimate Armor Capsule
BIN Address:    20E0DC  Cutscene: Zero Virus (Colony Activated)
BIN Address:    2203F0  Cutscene: X's "Good Ending"
BIN Address:    223928  Cutscene: X's "Bad Ending"
HEX Data:        13        Dr. Light (Unused Track)
HEX Data:        24        Original (Mega Man X1 Remix)

Yeah, I also had to make 'Cutscene: Zero Virus (Colony Activated)' play 'Dr. Light (Unused Track)', mostly because you'd be able to hear both songs in an No Capsule run with the appropriate mood for each of these cutscenes.
buy mega man zero/zx legacy collection with money

ZEROmaverick

Quote from: Elyos03 on July 20, 2022, 11:27:15 PMYeah, I also had to make 'Cutscene: Zero Virus (Colony Activated)' play 'Dr. Light (Unused Track)', mostly because you'd be able to hear both songs in an No Capsule run with the appropriate mood for each of these cutscenes.

Yes, I thought exactly the same! having both themes in cutscenes and in capsules feels like the best use of both tracks!

acediez

A veeery minor update, fixing a silly bug introduced in v2.1.2
And also, a minor music change. You guys convinced me  :)

v2.1.3
- (Bugfix) The low health voice clip playing every time you got hit after the first trigger.
- (Music) The original Dr. Light theme has been restored for X's ending cutscenes.

G30FF

It looks like the 2.1.3 retranslation download only contains the readme.txt file.

EDIT: Download works now! Thanks!

Guilherme Resende

You need to put the names of the Japanese voice actors and the names of the opening and ending songs in the credits of mega man X4 and retranslating the final message. Please, acediez! Only then will Mega Man X4 Undub be ready!

Guilherme Resende

When will you return to work on Megaman X4 Undub?

ZEROmaverick

Quote from: acediez on July 21, 2022, 09:54:23 PMA veeery minor update, fixing a silly bug introduced in v2.1.2
And also, a minor music change. You guys convinced me  :)

v2.1.3
- (Bugfix) The low health voice clip playing every time you got hit after the first trigger.
- (Music) The original Dr. Light theme has been restored for X's ending cutscenes.

Cool!!! good choice :D

Danielxz

Quote from: acediez on July 19, 2022, 06:26:30 PM(Btw, I just added the damage tables moves you identified to my latest workbook, forgot to thank you for that!)

this "ride chaser" is wrong, it had to be "ride armor eagle", the same from X4 in Storm Owl stage
https://megaman.fandom.com/wiki/Ride_Armor?file=RAEagle.jpg

about incomplete armors, "Pause Menu Mugshot" has a little problem, bin address 229BFC is incorrectly, should be 229BEC

a little coment about Zero, when in Tidal whale stage, the second jump is smaller and you fall more fast like if something is pulling you down (its not a bug since the same happen in the original rom)

this one is a suggestion for Zero, when he uses W-Shredder he became immobile, this doesnt combine with Zero gameplay style, it would be cool if was possible to remove this immobility

Quote from: Danielxz on July 19, 2022, 10:59:36 AM- this one is a cool suggestion for a "optional hack" maybe?
about this one I forgot to say that using this will bug Zero's Twin Dream, his saber will desapear