News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.5)  (Read 41263 times)

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.3)
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 03:53:27 pm »
acediez,
I think you forgot to update your Readme file. The address of the bin files has a different hex value compare to the origin now. I dare not to change a thing. I think this is related to the restoration of Dynamo's voice clips?

I find out the different already. From the Readme file version 1.3, minus hex value by 930.

Thanks. It was because the script files changed size. I got used to X6's file order, where script changes don't affect executable addresses.
I just pushed an update with a rebuilt disc that mimics X6's file order. The readme is now updated to these new addresses, and hopefully they won't need to be changed again.

What I also remember in this game is when you selected X as your primary character, Zero's weapon screen called his Z-Saber as Giga Attack. And when Zero access to his Black Armor in the 3rd Sigma stage it seems what I remember that Dr. Light also has typos with regards to it.

I'm aware of this oversight, but it doesn't affect the current state of my project, as you'll always have the Z-Buster available, and that's the label you'll always see on Zero's menu.

From what he's told me, I think he's working on Armageddon, Zero Dead, Light Capsule, and OST unused Stage Select.

All of the tracks in the game are separated into 8 XA tracks, so he can't add from that, but he has managed to fit those tracks within the area that Dr. Light's theme is stored, but now the trouble is getting the loop points right.

To be honest, I haven't continued working on this, but I'll get there.
The way the game handles start and end point is not very precise, so it's not easy to get a perfect loop just by fiddling with these values, even if the audio file inserted loops perfectly. I guess that's why the original game uses long tracks that don't necessarily loop seamlessly. However, if I use shorter tracks to fit more songs, they need to be done right. I will most likely not add all of those tracks, so I can extend and make sure the ones that matter play nicely.

My priority would be to fit "Dr. Light" and "Armageddon" (for X's ending). I probably won't have trouble fitting those two extended long enough to not need a perfect loop. But, if I manage to make them loop right with shorter tracks, then I'll also try to add the alternate "Stage Select" (so the current "Stage Select 2" can be left unique to the first couple of Zero Stages).

If I settle for good enough (a small hiccup here and there) I could get it done quickly, but I rather do it right when I have more free time.

A nitpick about the parts system, there's a 2 "hour" (stage) wait time until you actually get the parts you picked.
Is it possible to reduce that delay so you can get it right away? Or a suggestion, maybe life/energy options can alternatively grant one of the two
parts you can get, and the other will be granted next stage. Don't know how difficult that would be to implement, but it would make the choice after each stage a bit more meaningful, I think.

I don't plan to make any more changes to the Parts system for the time being, but I'm considering trying alternate unlocking methods in the future (based in performance, for example, like in the Zero series. I'm sure you'll all hate it just the same  ;D)

is it possible for me to change Duff Mcwhalen's song to the original? I prefer the standard version
Not at the moment. The audio file has been replaced.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.3)
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2019, 04:10:18 pm »
To be honest, I haven't continued working on this, but I'll get there.
The way the game handles start and end point is not very precise, so it's not easy to get a perfect loop just by fiddling with these values, even if the audio file inserted loops perfectly. I guess that's why the original game uses long tracks that don't necessarily loop seamlessly. However, if I use shorter tracks to fit more songs, they need to be done right. I will most likely not add all of those tracks, so I can extend and make sure the ones that matter play nicely.

My priority would be to fit "Dr. Light" and "Armageddon" (for X's ending). I probably won't have trouble fitting those two extended long enough to not need a perfect loop. But, if I manage to make them loop right with shorter tracks, then I'll also try to add the alternate "Stage Select" (so the current "Stage Select 2" can be left unique to the first couple of Zero Stages).

If I settle for good enough (a small hiccup here and there) I could get it done quickly, but I rather do it right when I have more free time.
Sounds good to me. While I prefer the unreleased Zero Dead theme, it is a different take on the same track, so it's better to put your time and effort on adding unique tracks missing from the game.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.4)
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2019, 05:32:53 pm »
It's probably outside of the scope of the project, but for consistency's sake I'd really enjoy seeing the Armor system becoming like your custom system of X6's Tweaker.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2019, 10:16:40 am »
lol I'd like to have that too, that and several other things I did for X6... It's only a couple of dozen of hours worth of work I can't spare at the moment  :laugh:

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2019, 02:26:36 pm »
Hehe, I can wait  :P

Tetraspore

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2019, 04:46:45 pm »
Really great stuff I'm seeing with this, awesome work. You mention fixing the X and Zero injured sprites. How exactly did you fix them? I'm really wanting to edit the player sprites/tiles, but I'm having a lot of trouble busting into the actual sprite data with any of the tools available for PSX graphic extraction/injection.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:42:46 pm by MathOnNapkins »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2019, 07:57:48 pm »
Really great stuff I'm seeing with this, awesome work. You mention fixing the X and Zero injured sprites. How exactly did you fix them? I'm really wanting to edit the player sprites/tiles, but I'm having a lot of trouble busting into the actual sprite data with any of the tools available for PSX graphic extraction/injection.
I didn't do that, that was done by DarkSamus
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22796.0

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2019, 08:19:51 pm »
I'm really wanting to edit the player sprites/tiles, but I'm having a lot of trouble busting into the actual sprite data with any of the tools available for PSX graphic extraction/injection.
The player & special weapons graphics are compressed. I wrote a decompressor, but have yet to implement the compression function, so editing is not currently possible.

The 'injured' sprites for the intro stage are stored uncompressed however (as well as the X & Zero 'boss' sprites for Zero Space 3).

Tetraspore

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2019, 10:46:29 pm »
The player & special weapons graphics are compressed. I wrote a decompressor, but have yet to implement the compression function, so editing is not currently possible.

The 'injured' sprites for the intro stage are stored uncompressed however (as well as the X & Zero 'boss' sprites for Zero Space 3).

Ah,  I apologize for mixing up the two works-- I had them both open and I posted in the wrong thread. Thank you both for the responses.

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.5)
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2019, 02:13:53 am »
v1.5
- Soundtrack: Dr. Light's theme changed to the unused "Dr. Light" track (replaces the Mega Man X1 remix)
- Soundtrack: X's "Good" Ending theme changed to the unused track "Armageddon" (replaces the reused intro stage theme)
- Soundtrack: Stage Select 2 theme changed to the unused "Stage Select" track (replaces the reused Zero Space stages theme)

Download link on the first post.

It's done. All unique unused tracks found their way into the game, taking the place of remixed and reused songs.
The two reused songs replaced are obviously reversible, as their audio data hasn't been touched (X's Ending, Stage Select 2). However, Dr. Light's previous theme audio files have been replaced. And unless I figure out a way of adding XA tracks without replacing existing ones... just like Tidal Whale's theme, this isn't reversible, and won't be.

I had trouble getting a good loop out of these tracks, they're... less than seamless (just like every other track in the game, except these tracks are shorter). "Dr. Light" and "Armageddon" last long enough for it to not be an issue. It might be more notorious in "Stage Select 2"... so, if it bothers you, remember you can revert this one easily.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2019, 06:15:21 am »
I'm very glad people agree the original tracks feel more at home in this (original) X game, rather than the remixes. Even if I'd prefer some of the remixes over the original compositions, it just feels right to have unique stage themes for every stage in Mega Man. This really is the most enjoyable change for me, along with the Maverick names being changed.

I think they went all nostalgic because X5 was the final game in the X series  :-X

SpringSonic9187

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2019, 06:58:29 am »
I think they went all nostalgic because X5 was the final game in the X series  :-X
You forgot the 'supposed to be'.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2019, 07:17:31 am »
Hehe, they expected otherwise.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2019, 12:02:46 pm »
This is a pretty neat patch, but though it sucks to remove the Alia calls (for me it never bothered me because I like story text).

Honestly I think the better way to handle Alia is that her calls only happen once if you already visited the stage.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2019, 01:17:44 pm »
This is a pretty neat patch, but though it sucks to remove the Alia calls (for me it never bothered me because I like story text).

Honestly I think the better way to handle Alia is that her calls only happen once if you already visited the stage.
You can revert this change, check the readme

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2019, 01:52:32 pm »
By the way, the readme file has the wrong hex data for Exit Stage Button (modified = always available) since v1.4.
In readme v1.5, this is how you put it.
BIN Address:       36D4C
HEX Data Original:    0800E003140185AC10006214
HEX Data Modified:    00000000140185AC00000000
(I don't think this is a right value but I'm kind of curious what's this hex data for?)

HEX Data Original:    0B004010001604004C00639003160200FFFF4224071843000100633003006010
HEX Data Modified:    00000000001604004C00639003160200FFFF4224071843000100633000000000
(Previously, this is the value in v1.3 and before.)

You can revert this change, check the readme

I must say the readme file is very well explained. Even a IT dummy like me can understand.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2019, 03:09:55 pm »
Thanks. I made this mistake while modifying the previous option in the list (Get both Parts regardless of Life Up+/Energy Up+ selection), as I split a long string of hex data into two. The "wrong" data is actually the second part of that previous option.

I just updated the linked file with a fixed readme.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2019, 07:53:57 pm »
Zero's opening stage theme has a rather different variant in the X5 prototype, I personally think it's good enough to make such tune an optional choice
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2019, 11:21:14 pm »
Zero's opening stage theme has a rather different variant in the X5 prototype, I personally think it's good enough to make such tune an optional choice
The thing is he would have to cram it in place of another track, and it's a variant of an existing track, like Zero Dead, which he opted to omit.

I don't think any further music changes are happening.

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2019, 04:46:11 pm »
Interesting changes! I'll test on the PSP & let you know if I run into any problems!

October 31, 2019, 05:47:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
From my testing so far, I haven't had any problems. I do have one request though: Would it be possible to get both Hearts & Energy Ups regardless of what you pick?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:47:48 pm by Ghaleonh41 »