News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.3)  (Read 150698 times)

hawluchamyterio

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0 BETA 32)
« Reply #380 on: August 12, 2021, 10:21:27 pm »
I use ePSXe, the patch is the latest version available (Beta 32).

The bug wasn't in previous versions, I didn't make hex edits, just patched the rom.
I also tried the normal patch (Mega Man X5 (USA) [Improvement Project Addendum v2.0 BETA 32].7z) and it has the same bug.
When the game starts, it plays an strange sound (like an old CD) and if I use a savestate that I saved with a previous version of the patch it gets fixed but once a stage is finished the game crashes.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 10:28:26 pm by hawluchamyterio »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2021, 11:54:37 pm »
Hi acediez, good news is X's campaign finally got everything performed correctly. Now checking Awakened Zero route and Zero's camapign...Process is long...
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 13, 2021, 12:03:45 am »
Thank you so much! I've been busy today, so I only got the chance to quickly test the various problematic moves with the latest fix, not much else yet. I'm glad it survived one complete playthrough already  :D

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 13, 2021, 04:39:29 am »
Another great news, Zero's campaign and Awakened Zero route both had everything performed correctly, well, at least on my eboot for psp. Only events and alternate dialogue for Zero vs. Maverick bosses were left for checking.
Bad news is, some units in my laptop is reaching the end of its lifespan and I need to find a maintence center to fix it some day, there won't be rapid double checks on emulators

(Several hours later)
Splendid! Everything perfect! You can go to submit process acediez.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:27:17 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0)
« Reply #384 on: August 13, 2021, 02:30:37 pm »
Thanks Aceearly, that's reassuring! It's on the queue now. I squeezed in a couple more things on the readme, but the patches are the same as BETA 32.

When the game starts, it plays an strange sound (like an old CD) and if I use a savestate that I saved with a previous version of the patch it gets fixed but once a stage is finished the game crashes.

I tried them in Beetle PSX and two versions of ePSXe, old and new. Didn't get the issue, so I really don't know how else to find the cause to your problem.
Since the only time it's been reported, I would suggest you check your emulator settings, or try another emulator altogether.

v2.0
- Incomplete Armors. Armors can now be selected as soon as you get a part for it.
- Stages: Dark Necrobat's stage slowdown gimmick removed.
- Stages: Volt Kraken's stage orbs requirement to destroy wall reduced to 7 (you can now miss one orb)
- Bugfix: fixed invincibility bugs introduced by the cancellable F-Splasher code (v1.9) and custom Falcon Air Dash (v1.8)
- Falcon Armor: reverted dash speed bonus from v1.8 (didn't mix well with Hyper Dash)
- Damage tables: reverted Falcon Armor's charged buster boost from v1.10 (too overpowered)

🙏

That's the whole leap from the latest "stable" release v1.11 (which wasn't really all that stable, since it had all the invincibility bugs in it).
And here's the embarrasing complete BETA changelog 😅

v2.0 BETA 32
- (Bug fix) Attempt to fix conflicts on invincibility moves

v2.0 BETA 31
- (Bug fix) Zero's virus status invincibility restored
- (New) Dark Necrobat Stage's slowdown gimmick removed

v2.0 BETA 30
- (Bug fix) Falcon Air Dash invincibility glitch fix
- (New) Ride Chaser segment: Wall needs only 7 orbs to break. Addresses to adjust value added to readme.

v2.0 BETA 29
- Falcon Air Dash invincibility glitch fix

v2.0 BETA 27/28
- Minor text edits.

v2.0 BETA 26:
- (Improvement) Incomplete Armors: Parts selection screen will now also display unarmored X until the armor is complete.
- (Reverted) Damage Tables: Falcon Charged Buster boost against bosses reverted.
- (Reverted) Falcon Armor: Dash speed boost removed.

v2.0 BETA 25
- (Bug fix) Fixed invincibility bug caused by the cancellable F-Splasher code
- Minor text edits.

v.2.0 BETA 23/24
- (Reverted) Reduced Falcon Armor dash speed boost.

v.2.0 BETA 21/22
- Yet another embarrisingly small dialogue edit (twice)
- Now also testing the building script for alternate patches with v2.0

v.2.0 BETA 20
- Fixed that one dialogue issue.

v2.0 BETA 19
- (Bugfix) Fixed Rank not being displayed properly on pause menu
- (Improvement) Minor touchups to incomplete armors' mugshots
- Minor edits to script (incomplete armors' descriptions)

v2.0 BETA 18
- (Bugfix) Fixed Dark Hold crash

v2.0 BETA 17
- (Improvement) Incomplete Armors: pause menu mugshot updates are now implemented.
- (New) Z-Buster: reduced startup wait time. Address added to readme.
- (Rebalance) Damage Tables: X/Zero boss fights tweaked. Damage reduction softened (but still harder/longer than vanilla). Previous modification kept on the readme.

v2.0 BETA 16
- Various Incomplete Armors palettes fixes.

v2.0 BETA 15
- Stage Edit, Zero Space 1: the inner walls in the laser segments are now not grabbable.

v2.0 BETA 14
- v1.10.1 changes
     - Fixed freeze on demo
     - Damage tables: Z-Saber's decreased damage against bosses is now only applied to the 8 main bosses and Dynamo.

v2.0 BETA 13
- v1.10 changes
     - Save/Load Menu: fixed two tiles with the wrong color (in the "hours left" box)
     - Damaga tables: Tri-Thunder can now also destroy the burn wooden block in Shining Firefly's stage.
     - Damage tables: Z-Saber damage against bosses adjustment. Now includes attack from walls and C-Slash.
     - Damage tables: Falcon Armor's charged buster deals more damage to bosses (from 3 to 4)
     - Tidal Whale's Stage: U-5555 damage output adjusted (reduced, but still stronger than vanilla)
- Incomplete Armors bugfix: Fixed Shock Buffer Part not reducing damage for unarmored X and Zero.
- Incomplete Armors bugfix: Fixed X's special weapons not spending ammo consistently.

v2.0 BETA 12
- v1.9 fixes
     - Fixed Dark Hold protection from spikes.
     - Fixed "GIGA ATTCK" typo on Button Configuration menu (comes from vanilla).
- Damage table modification on indestructible enemies and boss invincibility frames reverted to normal.

v2.0 BETA 11
- F-Splasher: can now be cancelled with an air attack.
- Damage tables: Zero's regular saber attacks now deal less damage against bosses (2,2,5,4,4 to 2,1,3,2,2)
- Damage tables: attacks on invincibility frames of bosses will not trigger the "blocking" effect anymore

v2.0 BETA 10
- F-Splasher: duration can be controlled like a normal Air Dash (cancelled if both dash and direction button are released)
- C-Sword: can now damage Crescent Grizzly (same damage as regular air attack)

v2.0 BETA 9
- v1.8 changes
     - Cutscenes skip: fixed Mission Report displaying "Game Over" instead of "Mission Complete" (corrected from v1.7.5)
     - F-Splasher is now able to move V-Blocks (allowing Zero to complete V-Blocks sections)
- Armor by Parts: Gaea Armor's shot eraser property linked to the Arm Part.
- Dark Hold no longer moves V-Blocks (replaced by F-Splasher)

v2.0 BETA 8
- v1.7.5 fixes
     - Cutscenes skip: fixed Mission Report displaying "Game Over" instead of "Mission Complete".
- Armor by parts: fixed palette bugs in Zero Stage 3 capsule

v2.0 BETA 7
- v1.7.4 Fixes
     - Cutscenes Skip: fixed sequence breaking after the X vs. Zero aftermath cutscene (skipping Mission Report)
- RNG Exceptions: reimplented. A new attempt to fix it (neeeds testing)
- Breakable blocks: Twin Dream can now destroy Necrobat Stage's breakable block (thanks for the suggestion)

v2.0 BETA 6
- RNG Exceptions: feature temporarily removed (wasn't working as expected).
- Armor by Parts: fixed incomplete Gaea Armor mistakenly having access to bugged Special Weapons.
- Tidal Whale Stage: U-555 damage output reduced (from x2 to about x1.5)

v2.0 BETA 5
- v1.7.3 fixes
     - Cutscene skip: fixed two instances of sequence breaking (the cutscene after the intro stage, and the one after running out of time)
     - Very minor text fixes (a typo, a misaligned digit on the save menu, a single character's spacing)
- An attempt to fix Dark Hold's glitches caused by getting hit while activating it (needs more testing)
- An attempt to fix the Shuttle launch failing even after collecting all 4 parts, on some emulators (needs more testing)
- Gaea Buster damage output increased against most common enemies (uncharged increased from 4 to 5, charged increased from 7 to 9)

v2.0 BETA 4
- Fixed Dynamo encounters not being triggered if his introduction cutscene was skipped
- Fixed new weapon vulnerabilities of breakable objects not actually being implemented
- Fixed selected Parts not being loaded in-game correctly
- Fixed some (all?) palette bugs when entering a capsule

v2.0 BETA 3
- Armor by Parts: Fixed stages not being marked as beaten when an "incomplete armor" is first obtained.
- Armor by Parts: Fixed Gaea Armor buster graphics not loading properly

v2.0 BETA 2
- Script: Fixed out of place dialogues.
- Armor by Parts: Fixed Fourth Armor's Buster.
- Armor by Parts: Fixed available armors value being incorrectly updated when obtaining an incomplete armor (removing other armors).

v2.0 BETA 1
- Incomplete Armors: Armors can now be used as soon as you get a part for it.
- Enigma/Shuttle RNG exceptions:
     - Enigma and Shuttle attempts with no collected upgrades will now always fail.
     - Shuttle attempts with all four upgrades will always succeed.
- Stage mechanics modifications:
     - Tidal Whale's Stage: Auto-scrolling segments run faster (100-125% horizontally, 150% horizontally).
     - Tidal Whale's Stage: U-5555 (mini boss): smaller health bar (75%), but deals more damage (about 200% each attack).
- Additional ways to collect items (to reduce backtracking):
     - More weapons can now break stage objects blocking items.
     - Tidal Whale's Stage Capsule Bomb: F-Laser, Spike Ball (Charged), Tri-Thunder (Charged), Twin Dream, C-Flasher
     - Tidal Whale's Stage Breakable Block: Tri-Thunder
     - Shining Firefly's Stage Breakable Block: E-Blade
     - Dark Hold protects you from spikes (allowing Zero to collect more items by himself).
     - Dark Hold allows you to push V-Blocks (with any armor/character).
- Other gameplay changes:
     - Dark Hold: can now be cancelled.
     - Gaea Armor: can now slide down walls by pressing down (like the Shadow Armor in X6 Tweaks)
     - Disabled double tap dash input
     - W-Shredder: input changed to Dash + Special (it's now included in the patch. It was previously documented as a manual tweak only)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:01:02 pm by acediez »

fianovale

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 15, 2021, 12:59:17 am »
Hi! which emulator works best, i tried retroarch 1.9.6 but beetlepsx doesnt boot and pcsxrearmed crash after the intro level, thanks!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 15, 2021, 01:29:57 am »
Dropping by after giving the hack a quick test, and wow what a change!
It almost feels like a new game altogether with all the changes, great work!

Also, I didn't know you knew assembly, acediez!
Quite the feat by itself :D

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 15, 2021, 06:43:00 am »
Hi! which emulator works best, i tried retroarch 1.9.6 but beetlepsx doesnt boot and pcsxrearmed crash after the intro level, thanks!
In my environment epsxe1.9.25 on the pc works fantasitc, if yours doesn't work you may also need to pass the patched bin through STARWIN's EDC/ECC recalculator: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1264/

and make sure you didn't accidently edited one or more wrong values if during hex editing.

Also if your cue file doesn't match  edited bin file you may also encounter problems as well on some emulators (for example bizhawk only recognize .cue in ps1 mode for some reason) you may also need to make a fresh new cue to the modified bin under certain situations: https://nielsbuus.dk/pg/psx_cue_maker/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:06:21 am by Aceearly1993 »

fianovale

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 15, 2021, 08:51:03 am »
In my environment epsxe1.9.25 on the pc works fantasitc, if yours doesn't work you may also need to pass the patched bin through STARWIN's EDC/ECC recalculator: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1264/

It worked perfect, now is my time to fight for, thanks!

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 15, 2021, 09:27:41 am »
acediez, you may not like what I'm writing here. There's a minor bug with your official release.
As stated by hawluchamyterio, the old cassette noise is there if you use ePSXe.
The same goes if you use no$psx2.0 and PCSXR360 2.1.1b. Well, at least those 3 are the one I tested out.
Also, it's easier to hear it with no background sound like during loading a stage and open it at high volume.

The old cassette noise is there if you use the following setting:
1) ePSXe205
Go to Config=>Plugins=>Sounds
ePSXe SPU core 2.0.0
Configure
Sound Latency 0:Normal Latency
Sound Effects 2: Full sound Effects

2) ePSXe1.9.25
Go to Config=>Sounds
ePSXe SPU core 1.9.0
No Configuration needed

However, no old cassette noise if you change to the following setting:
1a) ePSXe205
P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9
General settings
Mode: 1: High compatibility mode (time event, slower)
Volume: 1: medium
Reverb: 2: PSX reverb (best quality)
Interpolation: 2: Gaussian interpolation (good quality)
XA music
Checked: Enable XA playing
Checked: Change XA speed, if it is played too fast (more cpu power needed)

2a) ePSXe1.9.25
Go to Config=>Sounds
Configure the same setting as 1a)

r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 15, 2021, 10:15:12 am »
Same here, getting the weird noise in Beetle HW/Mednafen, Duckstation and PSX ReArmed, I was planning on testing it later on the Xstation, but it's serious enough that it needs to be adressed either way as emulator compatibility is poor, despite messing around with a lot of settings in the mentioned ones.

Hope it's an easy fix, congratulations on 2.0 :)

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 15, 2021, 04:44:03 pm »
Thanks injoon84 for providing specific settings on how to reproduce the issue, I could finally debug it.
I'm submitting v2.0.1 right now with a fix. You can grab it from the archive.org download link in a few minutes.

To people getting other kind of issues or crashes no one else is reporting, please make sure you didn't mess up hex editing before reporting it as a bug! Please verify whether the issue happens on a freshly patched build too!

Also, I didn't know you knew assembly, acediez!
Quite the feat by itself :D

Yooo, thanks!
I wouldn't say I *really* know assembly, I got too familiar with no$psx's syntax. I should've changed it to MIPS before it was too late, but it already was when I noticed  :laugh:
I'm glad you checked the hack and liked it, cheers!  :beer:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:32:56 pm by acediez »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.1)
« Reply #392 on: August 15, 2021, 05:58:46 pm »
acediez, you may not like what I'm writing here. There's a minor bug with your official release.
As stated by hawluchamyterio, the old cassette noise is there if you use ePSXe.
The same goes if you use no$psx2.0 and PCSXR360 2.1.1b. Well, at least those 3 are the one I tested out.
Also, it's easier to hear it with no background sound like during loading a stage and open it at high volume.

The old cassette noise is there if you use the following setting:
1) ePSXe205
ePSXe SPU core 2.0.0
Configure
Sound Latency 0:Normal Latency
Sound Effects 2: Full sound Effects

2) ePSXe1.9.25
Go to Config=>Sounds
ePSXe SPU core 1.9.0
No Configuration needed

However, no old cassette noise if you change to the following setting:
1a) ePSXe205
General settings
Mode: 1: High compatibility mode (time event, slower)
Volume: 1: medium
Reverb: 2: PSX reverb (best quality)
Interpolation: 2: Gaussian interpolation (good quality)
XA music
Checked: Enable XA playing
Checked: Change XA speed, if it is played too fast (more cpu power needed)

2a) ePSXe1.9.25
Go to Config=>Sounds
Configure the same setting as 1a)
Glad you found the source of yet another issue! It was way beyond me because both the environment I prefer and where the pressure tests were done, was mainly on the eboot for psp ;)

Anyway, my test works for this project were done and I'm going to sit back for a while until another project surfaces. It was the very first time I could get into testing a project this big and was a satisfying experience. Kudos fellow testers and all those who were involved within this hack!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 06:54:10 pm by Aceearly1993 »

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 15, 2021, 11:33:41 pm »
Glad you found the source of yet another issue! It was way beyond me because both the environment I prefer and where the pressure tests were done, was mainly on the eboot for psp ;)

Anyway, my test works for this project were done and I'm going to sit back for a while until another project surfaces. It was the very first time I could get into testing a project this big and was a satisfying experience. Kudos fellow testers and all those who were involved within this hack!

Yup, sure. Too many emulators out there. Also, though I didn't mention it earlier, I really do appreciate with your diligent and efficiency of being a tester. More importantly, you accompany acediez during the whole beta project!  :thumbsup:

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 16, 2021, 12:06:54 am »
Aceearly1993, injoon84, you guys were very important to this last batch of updated. You may or may not recall this, but the intention of my first v2.0 BETA release was to simply release my incomplete update as it was and leave it at that. I hadn't worked on it for months, it was either release what I had or not release anything at all. But you guys got very serious about testing it immediately, so I felt encouraged to fix things, and after a couple of updates, I soon found myself into it enough to work on it for another month and actually finish all that I planned for it.

If you guys hadn't been here, there wouldn't be a complete v2.0 release now, so thanks again  :beer: :beer: :beer:

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 16, 2021, 05:26:29 am »
Ok I have a question, if I want to revert the health/energy parts stuff I want to revert all 3 changes right?

Boss Level requirement to get Life/Weapon Upgrade
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Revert to only get Life Up/Energy Up after the defeated boss
reaches a certain level.

Boss Level requirement to get Life/Weapon+ Upgrade (Parts)
Revert to only get Parts after the defeated boss reaches
a certain level.

Get both Parts regardless of Life Up+/Energy Up+ selection

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2021, 08:58:49 am »
Aceearly1993, injoon84, you guys were very important to this last batch of updated. You may or may not recall this, but the intention of my first v2.0 BETA release was to simply release my incomplete update as it was and leave it at that. I hadn't worked on it for months, it was either release what I had or not release anything at all. But you guys got very serious about testing it immediately, so I felt encouraged to fix things, and after a couple of updates, I soon found myself into it enough to work on it for another month and actually finish all that I planned for it.

If you guys hadn't been here, there wouldn't be a complete v2.0 release now, so thanks again  :beer: :beer: :beer:

Really?  :o
Guess it turns out to be domino effect. You're welcome and many thanks for the wonderful v2.0 too.

Ok I have a question, if I want to revert the health/energy parts stuff I want to revert all 3 changes right?

Boss Level requirement to get Life/Weapon Upgrade
Revert to only get Life Up/Energy Up after the defeated boss
reaches a certain level.

Boss Level requirement to get Life/Weapon+ Upgrade (Parts)
Revert to only get Parts after the defeated boss reaches
a certain level.

Get both Parts regardless of Life Up+/Energy Up+ selection

Yes, if you wish to revert back the DNA Select as vanilla for Life +, Energy + and Parts. Is that useful enough, Hero-sama?

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2021, 10:31:47 am »
Really?  :o
Guess it turns out to be domino effect. You're welcome and many thanks for the wonderful v2.0 too.

Yes, if you wish to revert back the DNA Select as vanilla for Life +, Energy + and Parts. Is that useful enough, Hero-sama?
Yes thanks! I like most changes but I think this is a bit too powerful.

Bedazzler365

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 17, 2021, 08:04:00 am »
Hello, I just made an account here to pass some issues I've found with the latest release.

First of all, I'd like to thank those involved in working in this hack as they've given X5 a new lease of life. However I noticed that when starting up the game, it takes an unusually long amount of time to load up the opening FMV. While I find this minor, I still can't get over the fact that double tapping the left and right buttons does not cause the dash to work at all. Was this intentional? It does interrupt the flow of the game I feel and makes going through the stages a hassle.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 17, 2021, 10:08:42 am »
Hello, I just made an account here to pass some issues I've found with the latest release.

First of all, I'd like to thank those involved in working in this hack as they've given X5 a new lease of life. However I noticed that when starting up the game, it takes an unusually long amount of time to load up the opening FMV. While I find this minor, I still can't get over the fact that double tapping the left and right buttons does not cause the dash to work at all. Was this intentional? It does interrupt the flow of the game I feel and makes going through the stages a hassle.

The 2.0 patch disables it by default. You can re-enable it yourself though; check the README that comes with the patch, and look at the section regarding reverting changes.