News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NINTENDO 64 HELP?  (Read 486 times)

byftr

• View Profile
NINTENDO 64 HELP?
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:23:56 am »
Could someone help me, wanted to know how to reinsert the extracted textures in nintendo 64 games.
I can decompress and edit them, but I can't reinsert them ..
If anyone can help would be grateful!! :-\ :-\

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: NINTENDO 64 HELP?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 06:08:58 pm »
Decompress as in take and make the file bigger/what it will be like when it hits RAM?
If so then you either need to find/make a compression tool or find some way to skip the decompression. If you have some tools to handle the decompression part for the former then they tend to come with either source code or documentation (or documentation is available somewhere) and you then get to reverse the operation.
Skipping the decompression is a bit of a cheat but a viable method. Two main approaches are you change the game's read command from the grab and decompress option to just copy directly, and the other is you add in the skip compression commands*.

*varies depending upon what the compression is but as files can be counted upon to have a unique section without a repeat you will usually have a feature of the compression to note that somehow. You put this "nothing to see here" command in every relevant location within the file and you have a "compressed" file that will run through the decompression feature just fine but have no need to figure out its full parameters. That is a wordy version though. For something like many forms of popular LZ  family compression then that means every 8 or however many bytes where you have the flag for it you use the "no compression here" command. Huffman can have something similar but you might have to make a fake library of some form.

Beyond that you probably have the usual pointer issues. This is to say for systems that use the incbin style methods of putting everything in the binary with no file system (which is to say everything GBA and older and everything N64 and older if it did not come on a floppy disc or optical disc) then if you make it bigger you can't just punt everything that follows it forwards, and similarly if it is smaller you can't shuffle it backwards (though you can pad it out to match sizes). In some cases you can repoint the edited file to the end of the ROM and thus not have to repoint everything that follows (or otherwise tweak things to fit) but that sometimes only works for a handful of files before you run into limits (not sure what the limits of the N64 are off the top of my head).

For the sake of being relatively complete when you say edit I assume you are editing with a tile editor or something that keeps it in the original format and are not just converting to some common PC format and editing that instead. If you are then you will either want to stop that and fine something that edits the original files or make a tool to convert back, except you won't have any simple workarounds (though probably some better documentation because it is hardware and not a custom compressions scheme).

byftr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:03:57 am »
I am using GEdecompressor, which allows me to unzip the rom in several BIN files.
Then I open the BIN file I want to edit in Texture 64, which allows me to edit the textures.
And I use N64GFX which allows me to reinsert the edited image in the game, the problem is exactly that, I can't use this program correctly.
I have the programs in my hands but I can't finish the process. :( :(

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 09:08:22 am »
And I use N64GFX which allows me to reinsert the edited image in the game, the problem is exactly that, I can't use this program correctly.

I think FAST6191 already said everything you might need to know.  Instead of saying "I can't use this program correctly", why don't you describe in more detail the specific problem or error messages that you are seeing?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

byftr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 02:13:23 pm »
I'm translating games, the text translation part (HEX), I usually do, the problem is reinserting the extracted and edited textures back into ROM.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 10:13:14 pm »
the problem is reinserting the extracted and edited textures back into ROM.
What is the problem?  What have you tried so far?  What happened when you tried it?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!