News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dr. Mario DX  (Read 5158 times)

marc_max

• View Profile
Dr. Mario DX
« on: October 19, 2019, 05:33:17 am »

Download patch: Alpha v3 (2019-10-25)

It's finally looking good. Thanks to Da_GPer for the graphics!

Original post:
I started yesterday a GB to GBC colorization hack, just for learning purposes. Even if this was a simple hack, it's already a nice improvement. Had to inject NES tiles though.

Can't really decide if this is a WIP or just a PoC. I prefer to start colorizing a bigger game, and do not waste time on this one. Mostly because it's a pain in the ass to hack this one due to being one of the very first titles released on the system. The animated viruses in thelower right corner should be redone, and trying to get a good result with backgrounds could get hard.

I might continue it if someone helps by redrawing those sprites and try to colorize the background tiles (have in mind the GBC limitations!).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:26:43 am by marc_max »

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
Re: Dr. Mario DX
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 07:30:46 am »
Dr.Mario is one of my favorite games, Im really glad to see this, it already looks good.

Sadly Im not good at hacking, but I think Im pretty decent at spriting, if its easy for you to provide the images or help with the tiles I could try and help.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 10:06:57 am »
This looks absolutely fantastic!
I love how it turned out :)
I'll see if I can do something about the remaining stuff

nanashi89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 07:05:11 pm »
No matter which ROM I choose to patch, it never looks like the one in the picture...

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 08:07:21 pm »
Looks like something Toruzz would do.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 09:43:59 pm »
This looks amazing so far. I say to keep it up. Maybe I can try to see if I can make some sprites for you.  :thumbsup:

Miles Tails Power

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 10:59:32 pm »
continue the project Maybe I can try to see if I can make some sprites for you.

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 02:25:53 am »
Any contribution will be welcome :-) Just make sure you follow the GBC limitations:
* sprites have only three colors
* there are 8 background palettes (4 colors each one), any of these can be assigned to each background tile

No matter which ROM I choose to patch, it never looks like the one in the picture...
It should work with any Dr. Mario ROM. If you are using an emulator, make sure it's running in GBC mode.

October 20, 2019, 03:02:42 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Da_GPer is already redoing the sprite viruses, and they are looking really good :-)

I had an idea for HUD, which involves destroying the original containers, but I don't see any other solution.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:45:35 pm by marc_max »

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 06:09:38 pm »
I Made A Mock-Up Just Like This One... You're Welcome To See It!

Link: http://fav.me/dctapv1

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 08:33:15 pm »
I prefer to start colorizing a bigger game, and do not waste time on this one.

Great work, so far.
When you finish with Dr. Mario, if you decide to move on to other titles, may I suggest Donkey Kong 94?
There's a game that would be great in full color.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 09:11:47 pm »
Great work, so far.
When you finish with Dr. Mario, if you decide to move on to other titles, may I suggest Donkey Kong 94?
There's a game that would be great in full color.

I agree. That game looks great on the Super Game Boy, but on a Game Boy Color, with even more and better colors, it will look fantastic. By the way, on the screenshots you had, I like the first one, but with the black background for Dr. Mario's area that's on the second screenshot. After I finish with the virus and Dr. Mario sprites, I can take a look at the clipboard and bottle colors as well as the water screens with the fish.

EDIT:  I finished up the virus sprites. As for Dr. Mario, I tried to work on remaking him to look more like the NES version, but it just didn't look right, so I just did some very minor changes to the Game Boy sprites and gave it colors that fit the NES version. I think it will look good and fit in properly like this. I did try to give him his stethoscope, but I couldn't make it fit cleanly on the sprite due to the size, so I left it out. I might try again on adding it in though another time. He should be in a white background as that is the only color I can think of that would look best for this sprite. As for the viruses, I am not 100% happy with how the yellow one turned out, but I think it should do just fine. I might go back to it and touch it up, maybe. I also added the pills, tiny viruses, and the blink image when a virus vanishes, which I changed to match the NES version, but colored black to fit the white background. Now, to get started on the clipboard and bottle.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:21:22 pm by Da_GPer »

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 11:33:06 am »
Good job, looking great so far!

BTW, I managed to keep the clipboard:

but it's only possible if you use the white color in the checkerboard background (I really liked the green checkerboard though).

Feel free to do any changes, I wouldn't mind having a plain color background if that helps. I could even get accept getting rid of the clipboard. We don't need to keep the original tileset.

There are three games I'd like to colorize: DK94, Kirby 2 and Mega Man V.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 11:38:52 am »
Will this hack work on real hardware?

Usually colorization hacks end up being glitchy when played on a Game Boy Color, or a Game Boy flashcart.

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 05:16:04 pm »
Will this hack work on real hardware?

Usually colorization hacks end up being glitchy when played on a Game Boy Color, or a Game Boy flashcart.

It should work exactly as accurate emulators like BGB, so yes.

This is not a GB Colorizer hack, that old tool breaks games literally.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 06:05:26 am »
I just finished working on the game field, which includes the clipboard and bottle. I used the NES tiles to make this except for the very top of the bottle's opening, which was custom made due to there being no sprites for it. I'm not sure if I will make the score area and the high/med/low area black or not. I have also noticed that the score box and the bottle share the same sprites, so I might make the score box the same color as the bottle to save on colors, but I do like the colors I have for it and I also plan on using the colors for the game select screen. I have also been thinking about maybe making the virus and Dr. Mario boxes black as well and see how it would look. I might post compare pics to ask for everyone's opinion for that one. I will say that I am quiet pleased with the results, yet I am not sure if it will work or not. Can marc_max please PM me so I can ask him for some info? Anyways, next is the select screen. ;D

EDIT: I did a little changes to the Dr. Mario sprite, fixing up the hair a little and a small tweak to make it look better. I have also made a black box version of the game field, which has a blue area for the viruses. I would like to get other people's opinion on which would look better.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:20:06 pm by Da_GPer »

Miles Tails Power

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 04:43:00 pm »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:25:53 pm by Miles Tails Power »

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 01:25:35 am »
I Like The Blue Area For The Viruses... And I Also Like The Black Area For Mario Since It Reminds Me Of The NES Version.

I'd Also Like It If Somebody Changed The Green Background To The Blue Background From SpongeBob: Atlantis SquarePants.

marc_max

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 01:41:31 am »
Amazing Da_GPer!

You used five colors in some tiles, but I think I should be able to fix them. I might also change some shades, this is not the NES, we've got 32k colors in GBC!

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 03:02:02 am »
Looking good, and black and blue seems the way to go!

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 03:54:51 am »
OK. Black and blue it is then. Here's the current status so far.