News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Quick Reference Guide to Retro Metroidvania/Platform Adventure Games  (Read 16388 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Reference Guide to Retro Metroidvania/Platform Adventure Games
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 07:21:26 pm »
Like I said: I don't know who the audience is for this.  The only thing in my experience to which I can reasonably compare it is the rough draft for a reference work.  Is this modeled on something else you've seen? If you think it's perfect the way it is then I guess I'm not the audience?

Non-linearity and world persistency are key aspects of MV games and fans tend to prefer a non-linear experience over a linear one, at least judging by the MV subreddit and various popular YT vids as well as feedback from people I've shown the site to. So why would you not want to know this?
So, you're saying it's important to quantify the degree of non-linearity, and there's no better way of doing this than to write out the path through the game in detail?

As the front page says this is for quick reference and not a full text review or description of each game.
In that case, it's exceptionally difficult to pick out key points of reference from these dense blocks of text – especially if people are supposed to deliberately avoid the parentheticals. (I'm also looking at Aquaria – I have much fondness for that game – and I am baffled.) It might be appropriate to arrange everything in a database table of some sort.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:47:06 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2021, 04:01:59 am »
I'm not sure what your problem is, I told you there is an audience.

So, you're saying it's important to quantify the degree of non-linearity, and there's no better way of doing this than to write out the path through the game in detail?

What do you think is a better way? You have a general statement about the structure in "partially non-linear", then the details follow. You're still not making any suggestions, just trying to put down my work it sounds like.

I already am making a spreadsheet as well, which I mention and link to on the front page and useful links page.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nA12FiqLUe1xoRyjXhaQYOMGpzylhejqsFek148-BGs/edit?usp=sharing

I could make the line spacing on the site a bit wider maybe?

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2021, 11:56:36 am »
I'm not sure what your problem is, I told you there is an audience.
And I feel like I'm making clear points and reasonable suggestions. So I guess we have to agree to disagree. :huh:

Certainly there is much enthusiasm for "platform adventure games" and people interested in finding more of the same will be drawn to means of finding more of them that they are unfamiliar with.

What do you think is a better way? You have a general statement about the structure in "partially non-linear", then the details follow.
The general statement is getting utterly lost in the details, and the details seem hugely unnecessary.  It seems to me like they are only useful if someone has played the game and wants to know after the fact why you decided to classify it as "Partially non-linear" – but who would do that?  Who, exactly, with the provided context, needs to know "can explore part of the southeastern lava area before beating the second boss but need large block carrying to clear it"?  This is not a complaint; this is a genuine question.

Maybe the details could be in some sort of collapsible tree structure?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 12:14:59 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2021, 01:10:39 pm »
This is the first post you've made any actual suggestions that are reasonable though, before it was just vague whining and two seemingly based on complete ignorance of the genre we're talking about and/or not checking the main pages before commenthing.

Re: Tree structure: Maybe, and I've had the same thought regarding that among a few other things for the layout, but they're not possible to do with the weebly tool.
I really don't see how it gets lost when the details are in parenthesis, sorry. A few ways of generally expressing the amount of non-linearity should be enough for most people and then they can read the details if it's not like I said.

Since you're the only one to complain about having a lot of optional info for some points in parenthesis, in 2+ years, I'm gonna disregard it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:56:06 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2021, 04:56:10 pm »
Latest updates: Chibi-Robo! (GC) and Battle of Olympus (NES)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2021, 12:17:50 pm »
Latest updates: Deus Ex (PC) and Spyro 3 (PS1). These are both outliers but share some elements with MVs

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2021, 10:26:03 pm »
Do you know of any platformer game makers, or very easy to use engines for making them? I saw something called Platformer Maker or suchlike a few weeks ago but I lost the link. I think it started as an open source clone of Mario Maker or something.

I've been wanting to implement a few ideas I have that are beyond my romhacking skills.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2021, 02:06:37 am »
Do you know of any platformer game makers, or very easy to use engines for making them?
I expect that depends on exactly what you want to do and how much you want to program, or not program. I see MonoGame is popular, and I think Clickteam Fusion is still useful.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2021, 04:32:13 pm »
I expect that depends on exactly what you want to do and how much you want to program, or not program. I see MonoGame is popular, and I think Clickteam Fusion is still useful.
I was hoping someone would know what I forgot, I guess not. I'll probably use Solarus instead.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2021, 08:21:02 pm »
I didn't know Solarus could make platformers.

A search for "mario maker clone pc" (no quotes) turns up this Reddit post with numerous selections. Mario Builder, maybe?

I don't know if you tried Googling for platformer maker, but maybe you saw PlataGO! ?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2021, 05:22:26 am »
Do you know of any platformer game makers, or very easy to use engines for making them? I saw something called Platformer Maker or suchlike a few weeks ago but I lost the link. I think it started as an open source clone of Mario Maker or something.

I've been wanting to implement a few ideas I have that are beyond my romhacking skills.

Why are you asking in this thread?

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2021, 03:00:53 pm »
Why are you asking in this thread?
Because if anyone would know, it's most likely the guy who spends his free time categorizing obscure video games older than half the userbase of this site.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2021, 06:45:26 pm »
As if this isn't a community largely focused on translating and hacking NES games. :huh:

Even if that wasn't the case the question still wouldn't make sense to ask to me since my site has nothing to do with making games.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2021, 11:06:12 pm »
As if this isn't a community largely focused on translating and hacking NES games. :huh:

Even if that wasn't the case the question still wouldn't make sense to ask to me since my site has nothing to do with making games.
Aaaaaanyways I'll just make a thread about remake/maker game engines. Good luck with your endeavors.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 12:08:50 pm »
Latest updates:
-Info and mini-reviews for Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS, 2006) and Below the Root (C64, 1984)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:29:26 pm by PresidentLeever »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2021, 02:29:35 pm »
Latest updates:
-Info and mini-reviews for Draconus (C64, 1988) and Ratchet & Clank 2 (PS2, 2003), and a first draft for the third generation intro text

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:56:31 am by PresidentLeever »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2021, 03:56:36 am »
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/
Latest updates: Info and mini reviews for Adventures of Rad Gravity (NES) and Beyond Good & Evil (Multi)

I beat Rad Gravity (NES) today and Beyond Good & Evil (GC) the other day, was playing the latter for most of the week. BG&E is a mostly linear Zelda-like with some interesting ideas and an unusual premise, where you play as a (female, non-white) journalist photographer trying to expose a corrupt paramilitary force while joining an underground rebel force and defending your home planet against alien invasion. One of the mechanics seems to have inspired either bash from Ori or aimed throwing from Guacamelee, or perhaps both - you have your CPU ally stun enemies and then you can do an aimed hit while the game pauses to knock them into obstacles or other enemies. While the game feels kind of cut short and underdeveloped in some areas it's well worth playing if you're into the GC era Zeldas and more linear MVs, and presentation-wise I was pretty impressed with it.

Rad Gravity on the other hand, well, it's a pretty creative and quirky earlier game in the genre, using a hub map to let you travel between solar systems and being one of the first games I've seen with a teleporter beacon tool (you place it somewhere and can then teleport there while in the same room) as well as puzzle-style boss fights a la Zelda 3 onwards. However it's just really rough around the edges, with no checkpoints within areas and a lot of trial & error involved in the progression. It's also not as open-ended as it first appears. Still you might wanna check it out if you don't mind using a guide for some parts, and it does give you unlimited lives.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2021, 10:55:05 am »
Latest updates: Info and mini reviews for Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (Multi, 2005) and Generations Lost (MD, 1994)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2021, 08:07:50 pm »
Latest updates:
Info and mini reviews for Metroid Prime 2 (GC) and Stanley: The Search for Dr. Livingston (NES)

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2021, 08:45:44 am »
Latest updates: Info and mini reviews for Dead Space (2008) and An Untitled Story (2007)