News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Analogue, Inc. announces the Analogue Pocket  (Read 770 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Analogue, Inc. announces the Analogue Pocket
« on: October 16, 2019, 01:23:45 pm »
Presenting their newest member in their line of FPGA consoles (the others being the NT, the Super Nt, and the Mega Sg), the Analogue Pocket has the capability of playing Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance cartridges.

More info here.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Analogue, Inc. announces the Analogue Pocket
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 01:47:49 pm »
Did a quick scan of the claimed consoles and compared to resolution of the screen on another thread.

GB/GBC and gamegear are a clean 10x multiplier for claimed resolution but everything else will be stretched, cropped, squashed or not full screen, and quite substantially for a few of those. No idea about pixel aspect ratio, or in the case of the gamegear what goes for the master system adapter.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 02:46:50 pm »
Pixel aspect of the Game Gear is different from the GB. So it needs to be scaled differently as well. I don't see the appeal even when res is multiplied cleanly though, to me it looks bad anyway if you don't use sort of filter/adjustable scanlines or shaders these days.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 09:20:00 pm »
Hm.

I'm not sure what to think of this.  My first reaction is it seems like a solution looking for a problem.  My GBA can already run its own cartridges, GB and GBC, and emulate the Game Gear, so that's most of the consoles Analogue lists taken care of.  Anything more powerful than the GBA (DS, PSP, phones) can run even more.

Regarding the FPGA and its benefits over emulation, I've never really found that to be an issue with handheld games.  I can see how it would be a selling point of Analogue's NES, SNES and Genesis consoles - no lag at 1080p! - but with a handheld?  Maybe I'm a little biased, but my favorite games on handheld are puzzles and RPGs where twitch reflexes aren't necessary.  And regarding sound, emulators deal with that just fine.  You don't need the FPGA to mimic something like the Genesis' FM synth, handheld sound hardware is much simpler.

Similarly I don't see the point of a dock either.  This is opinion too, but I don't think handheld games look that good on anything other than a handheld.  Like, seriously, who wants to play the Game Gear port of Sonic with its wonky HUD and cramped camera on a big screen?  Find a different version that fits better.  Even stuff like Mega Man Zero and Metroid Fusion doesn't feel right either.  A dock's nice to have, yes, but I don't think it's much of a selling point.

I think the biggest appeal is the second FPGA though, "for developers to develop and port their own cores".  If somebody manages to implement the Genesis and SNES on said FPGA, like the Super Nt and Mega Sg, I'd be very interested.  A handheld Genesis like AtGames' consoles, except one that actually doesn't suck?  I'd buy that.  To be honest, I wonder why Analogue hasn't made those themselves, seeing as they've now proven they can fit a powerful FPGA in handheld form... hm.

Not for me, I guess.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 10:59:18 pm »
I'm way behind the curve. From limited personal experience, I've yet to use a handheld that plays both GBA and SNES smooth enough for my liking.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 12:47:18 am »
And regarding sound, emulators deal with that just fine.  You don't need the FPGA to mimic something like the Genesis' FM synth, handheld sound hardware is much simpler.
It was my understanding that the Lameboy emulator for DS never had satisfactory sound quality, and that Goomba (in GBA mode) was preferable.  Not sure what the situation is with Gameyob or mGBA on the 3DS is.  Come to think of it, I have the impression that old GB flashcarts are still popular precisely because there's no good alternative to the original hardware for lsdj.

Anyway, while the GBA cart slot is accommodating enough, I wonder how they'll work around the different dimensions of Lynx and Game Gear carts?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 10:49:11 am »
It was my understanding that the Lameboy emulator for DS never had satisfactory sound quality, and that Goomba (in GBA mode) was preferable.

(open foot, insert mouth)

I guess I've warmed up to the idea a little as a sort of HD GBA the way Analogue made an HD SNES and Genesis.  Still feels a little off though.

Also, wasn't Hyperkin planning on making their own Game Boy recreation?  I wonder how Analogue's announcement is going to influence that.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »
Also, wasn't Hyperkin planning on making their own Game Boy recreation?  I wonder how Analogue's announcement is going to influence that.

What Hyperkin needs to do, if they're gonna directly compete against Analogue and retroUSB, is make better clone consoles by getting into the FPGA business if they want to.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 04:10:53 pm »
There's two beefs I have with this thing, and they're both resulting in a larger price than I'm willing to pay for it.

1. The screen. Now granted, handhelds as of late have been pretty hit and miss with screens with some not even 60 Hz.  But this one goes entirely the other way and manages to have a screen that's maybe even too good.  I'm hoping that this will come with some LCD filters, color correction, or ghosting to compensate because there is such a thing as too sharp here.

2. This is shooting far past only GB/GBA/GBC, and it hurts itself with that.  If you don't want to pay extra on top of 200 bucks later on, you have a game boy with too many buttons and no way to use them (at least I don't think so, unless if someone found out how to make GBA games access them... Tony Hawk maybe?).  This may or may not result in a device that feels cramped.  If you do buy expansions this thing is prepared for SNES buttons, and I'm trying to figure out how a cartridge would fit without looking weird or impeding gameplay.  Not to mention the screen.  Which means you'd also want to buy the dock which costs extra too.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:37:36 pm by Chronosplit »