News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux

Started by ShadowOne333, October 10, 2019, 12:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalita-kan

Unfortunately there's now too many optional patches, so much added complexity for people who just want to play Zelda!

https://github.com/ShadowOne333/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Redux/tree/master/MMC1/patches/optional

Should be some sub-folders to make arriving at the final destination easier

- Optional/Cheats
  > Full Health at Start.ips

- Optional/Original
  > Original Bomb Amounts.ips
  > Original Fast Waterfall.ips
  > Original HUD.ips
  > Original Hidden Secrets.ips
  > Original NES GFX.ips
  > Original Overworld Columns.ips
  > Disable Diagonal Sword.ips
  > Tunic 2 NES Ring.ips
  > Remove Hyrule Fantasy Subtitle.ips
  > Grey Automap.ips
  > Grey Automap (for Original HUD).ips

- Optional/Graphics
  > Link's Awakening GFX.ips
  > FDS Font.ips
  > Bluer Tunic.ips
  > Tunic 2 Ring.ips

- Optional/Dungeons
  > Rearranged Bosses.ips
  > Recoloured Dungeons.ips

- Optional/Title
  > Reworked Title Screen with No Subtitle.ips
  > Reworked Title Screen.ips

More "useful" or "popular" ones should sit on "Optional" top-level.
- Remove Low Health Beep.ips
- ?

March 08, 2022, 10:58:06 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Refill hearts on death

05:85D0: AD 6F 06  LDA $066F = #$20
05:85D3: 29 0F     AND #$0F
05:85D5: C9 02     CMP #$02
05:85D7: B0 0A     BCS $85E3
05:85D9: AD 6F 06  LDA $066F = #$20
05:85DC: 29 F0     AND #$F0
05:85DE: 09 02     ORA #$02
05:85E0: 8D 6F 06  STA $066F = #$20
05:85E3: 60        RTS -----------------------------------------

====> fits in-place

>05:85D0: AD 6F 06  LDA $066F = #$F0
05:85D3: 29 F0     AND #$F0
05:85D5: 8D 6F 06  STA $066F = #$F0
05:85D8: 4A        LSR
05:85D9: 4A        LSR
05:85DA: 4A        LSR
05:85DB: 4A        LSR
05:85DC: 0D 6F 06  ORA $066F = #$F0
05:85DF: 8D 6F 06  STA $066F = #$F0
05:85E2: 60        RTS
05:85E3: EA        NOP

Cyneprepou4uk

Quotetoo many optional patches
It's funny because there is already a negative review about "not being optional enough"  >:D

By the way, why the OP doesn't contain this link?
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5752/

And speaking of optional patches, instead of current format "description (patch_name)" it would be more convenient to have a format like "patch_name: description" in the alphabetical order. Same goes for Github readme.

Thirteen 1355

Quote from: Special on March 07, 2022, 05:42:23 PM
Unfortunately there's now too many optional patches, so much added complexity for people who just want to play Zelda! I'll need to write my own negative review.

I think you make a good point. I might add that to my review.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

ShadowOne333

Thank you @kalita-kun, for the code and patches!
I have already made source code ASM files for each of the two patches, and made proper IPS patches out of each one.
They're already in the GitHub repository, and also in the Releases package:
https://github.com/ShadowOne333/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Redux/releases/tag/v3.0

I have also sent the submission to update the RH.net package with the new patches, so they should be up in a few mins/hours.

Also I took @Cyneprepou4uk's advise and reworked the optional patches descriptions to follow the "patch_name: description" format for the ReadMe :D

Midnight Metronome

Quote from: Thirteen 1355 on March 08, 2022, 01:13:31 PM
I think you make a good point. I might add that to my review.

You cannot be more of an incel.

Thirteen 1355

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on March 08, 2022, 01:16:48 PM
Thank you @kalita-kun, for the code and patches!
I have already made source code ASM files for each of the two patches, and made proper IPS patches out of each one.
They're already in the GitHub repository, and also in the Releases package:
https://github.com/ShadowOne333/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Redux/releases/tag/v3.0

I have also sent the submission to update the RH.net package with the new patches, so they should be up in a few mins/hours.

Also I took @Cyneprepou4uk's advise and reworked the optional patches descriptions to follow the "patch_name: description" format for the ReadMe :D

Awesome! I'll be trying them out soon! Nice job!
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

tychsy89

trying to get this HD texture pack to work with the randomizer, theres an option to change the dungeons shape. is it possible to disable hd textures for the dungeon maps only?

TheLastRobot

Hello! Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this. Just wanted to flag I'm having some trouble with the Full Health After Death mod. When I start an NG with it the game freezes when I enter the old man's cave. I have it installed on top of the base patch and full health at start. Have tried a few configurations and am pretty sure the problem is with this patch specifically.

ifightdragons

Quote from: TheLastRobot on March 16, 2022, 09:54:16 AM
Hello! Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this. Just wanted to flag I'm having some trouble with the Full Health After Death mod. When I start an NG with it the game freezes when I enter the old man's cave. I have it installed on top of the base patch and full health at start. Have tried a few configurations and am pretty sure the problem is with this patch specifically.

I can confirm that this does not happen to me, with both of the same patches applied.

Are you using the MMC3 or MMC5 version of Redux? I'm on MMC5.

TheLastRobot

Quote from: ifightdragons on March 16, 2022, 12:37:24 PM
I can confirm that this does not happen to me, with both of the same patches applied.

Are you using the MMC3 or MMC5 version of Redux? I'm on MMC5.
MMC5. Maybe the ROM was no good though it matched the list... I'll try again with a clean ROM and see if I can reproduce.

SuperFeistyFox

Quote from: TheLastRobot on March 16, 2022, 02:27:34 PM
MMC5. Maybe the ROM was no good though it matched the list... I'll try again with a clean ROM and see if I can reproduce.

I actually had the same freezing issues using an earlier MMC5 patch on Everdrive N8 Pro on an RGB modded AV Famicom. I'm sure I used a clean ROM as the base for the patch.

ShadowOne333

I forgot that the Save Hearts code was shifted 0x10 bytes for the MMC5 version, so the MMC1 version works with the Full Hearts after Death patch without issue, but MMC5 had a 0x10 offset which was screwing cave entrances up.

I already fixed it and pushed a fix to the submission queue, it should be up in a few mins.

TheLastRobot

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on March 16, 2022, 06:07:44 PM
I forgot that the Save Hearts code was shifted 0x10 bytes for the MMC5 version, so the MMC1 version works with the Full Hearts after Death patch without issue, but MMC5 had a 0x10 offset which was screwing cave entrances up.

I already fixed it and pushed a fix to the submission queue, it should be up in a few mins.
Thanks for looking into it so fast! While you were posting this I was typing this reply:

QuoteGot it working. I was able to reproduce with a fresh rom + Redux MMC5 + full hearts after death MMC5, and nothing else.

Tried again with Redux MMC1 + full hearts after dying MMC1 and it seems to be working. Got full hearts on start in as well with no issues as far as I can tell. Not sure why other people didn't have trouble with the MMC5 but that seems to have been the problem on my end. Also possible I got mixed up and pulled the patch from the wrong folder but it seems unlikely I did it both times.

Glad I wasn't imagining the MMC5 thing. Great work again keeping all this going.

ShadowOne333

Quote from: TheLastRobot on March 16, 2022, 06:11:43 PM
Thanks for looking into it so fast! While you were posting this I was typing this reply:

Glad I wasn't imagining the MMC5 thing. Great work again keeping all this going.

Thankfully it was an easy fix.
The fixed patch is now live in hee and in the GitHub repo.
Hope you enjoy it!

lexluthermiester

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on March 17, 2022, 01:54:25 AM
Thankfully it was an easy fix.
The fixed patch is now live in hee and in the GitHub repo.
Hope you enjoy it!
Are you sure it's live? I'm looking at the current submission, 3.1 and that is what I already have. Did you forget to increment the version number to indicate a change?

ShadowOne333

Quote from: lexluthermiester on March 18, 2022, 07:34:17 AM
Are you sure it's live? I'm looking at the current submission, 3.1 and that is what I already have. Did you forget to increment the version number to indicate a change?

Yep it's live, I got the submission approval message.
For optional patches, I don't increment the version number, since it's for side-patches that are not considered into the main patch. That's why the v3.1 is kept.

If you open the zip and go to MMC5/Optional/ and look at the date of the "Full Health after Death.ips" file, it should say March, 2022.

lexluthermiester

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on March 18, 2022, 01:53:58 PM
Yep it's live, I got the submission approval message.
For optional patches, I don't increment the version number, since it's for side-patches that are not considered into the main patch. That's why the v3.1 is kept.

If you open the zip and go to MMC5/Optional/ and look at the date of the "Full Health after Death.ips" file, it should say March, 2022.
Fair enough. You should consider using a version denotation to indicate a minor change has been to the download, such as 3.1d for example. This will save some confusion for users who have already downloaded the base version.

lexluthermiester

They might have forgotten to change the recommendation during an edit.