News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux

Started by ShadowOne333, October 10, 2019, 12:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ifightdragons

Quote from: lexluthermiester on March 29, 2022, 02:46:50 PM
They might have forgotten to change the recommendation during an edit.

If you read the review, you'll see it's not a mistake. He genuinely doesn't think it deserves his recommendation. He's also confirmed that in this thread.

It boggles the mind, yet he's entitled to his opinion.

ShadowOne333

Quote from: lexluthermiester on March 29, 2022, 02:46:50 PM
They might have forgotten to change the recommendation during an edit.
Quote from: ifightdragons on March 29, 2022, 03:00:49 PM
If you read the review, you'll see it's not a mistake. He genuinely doesn't think it deserves his recommendation. He's also confirmed that in this thread.

The user did edit the review, but that was before the new couple optional patches were included courtesy of kalita-kan.
After that and once all those points were covered by the patches, the review was not edited again.

Ritaku

I'm having trouble playing this on my Everdrive N8 Pro, on a front-loader NES. Basically, it randomly crashes when entering or exiting a cave, even if I don't use any of the optional patches and just the base Redux patch, both the MMC1 and MMC5 versions. OG Zelda 1 works just fine with no crashing.

erpster2

Quote from: Ritaku on May 18, 2022, 12:51:16 AM
I'm having trouble playing this on my Everdrive N8 Pro, on a front-loader NES. Basically, it randomly crashes when entering or exiting a cave, even if I don't use any of the optional patches and just the base Redux patch, both the MMC1 and MMC5 versions. OG Zelda 1 works just fine with no crashing.

similar issue to this one (reported by SuperFeistyFox a few months ago) also using Everdrive N8 Pro

edit - maybe try a firmware update for Everdrive N8 Pro

Ritaku

Quote from: erpster2 on June 02, 2022, 04:36:24 AM
similar issue to this one (reported by SuperFeistyFox a few months ago) also using Everdrive N8 Pro

edit - maybe try a firmware update for Everdrive N8 Pro
I'm already on the latest firmware.

zjv

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on March 29, 2022, 08:11:09 PM
Quote from: ifightdragons on March 29, 2022, 03:00:49 PM

The user did edit the review, but that was before the new couple optional patches were included courtesy of kalita-kan.
After that and once all those points were covered by the patches, the review was not edited again.

I agree it's now unreasonable for his review to remain as-is, so maybe he's not considered for this situation good etiquette, which I understand ifightdragons values, and that I also think ShadowOne333 deserves here.

I sent him this PM as a diplomatic explainer and appeal to reason:

I noticed here you reviewed ShadowOne333's hack "The Legend of Zelda Redux." You wrote:

Quote from: Thirteen 1355I didn't like the original for its obtuse outdated stuff, so this redux sounded like a great idea. A lot of great quality of life features were added, each of them improving the gameplay bit by bit. However, the biggest issue of Zelda 1 and the reason I hate it with a passion is the fact that when you die, you start with only 3 hearts, no matter how many Heart Containers you obtained throughout the game.

In later Zeldas, you can easily gain back health inside of dungeons, but here, that's not possible. You have to go outside and farm hearts to get your health back. The other option is finding a Red Potion, which requires 68 Rupees, which are hard to come by limitlessly in this game.

I thought maybe this is too personal of a gripe, but then I remembered how many people hate this aspect of Zelda 1, and how big of an impact it has on the game and its enjoyment. This made me realise this hack just doesn't do enough to make this game accessible to people who can play every other Zelda in the series, but can't get through this.

It sounds here like you didn't recommend this hack as ShadowOne333 didn't address the heart grind after death. I understand why people would want this feature, and I agree The Legend of Zelda is better with it than without.

ShadowOne333 has now twice addressed the heart grind after death. This is from the changelog:

Quote from: ShadowOne333The amount of hearts you last had if the game was saved manually is now saved. So when you load, you start with the same amount of life the user had when the save was done. If the number of hearts when the game was saved was 3, or lower than 3, the game will start Link with 3 hearts instead (like in subsequent Zeldas)

And this is from the optional patch notes:

Quote from: ShadowOne333Fill the amount of hearts you have upon starting a save file, so you don't always start with 3 hearts only (Full Health at Start.ips)

What I see is ShadowOne333 taking in good faith your main concern to improve his hack for you and others. This obsoletes both your review and your "not recommended," so I think it's fair to either change or remove it, don't you? Not only would doing so show due respect to someone who heard you out and fixed your issue, but for your review to remain as-is may mislead potential players into thinking the quoted features aren't there.

Ritaku

I figured out my problem. It was a single misaligned pin on my Blinking Light Win making poor contact. Somehow the game would keep playing, but then freeze only when entering or exiting a cave. Realigning the pin to make better contact completely fixed it.

11clock

Enjoying the hack so far. Zelda 1 is still not a good game on a fundamental level, but Redux seems to do everything it can to make the game more playable without changing the core.

That said, I am confused about the diagonal swing. Your swing seems to only cover one diagonal direction but not the other, and none of the 4 orthogonal swing directions covers the bottom right of Link, leaving a clear blind spot. You are at a much greater advantage attacking enemies from below than attacking them from above.

Not sure if this is an issue with the original game as well, but knockback seems kind of random. Sometimes when I attack an enemy they fly across the room, and other times when I attack the same enemy they don't move at all.

In terms of the "starting with max health" optional patches, these are much appreciated over always starting at 3 hearts. That said, would it be possible to imitate later Zelda games by having you start at half HP (minimum 3 hearts) instead? That would be a nice balance between the two extremes and improve consistency with later Zelda games.

Thirteen 1355

I notice that with the rearranged bosses patch (which says it gives every dungeon a unique end boss), both dungeon 3 and 4 feature Lanmola as the main boss. Is this intentional, or an accident?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.