News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux  (Read 285393 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux
« Reply #780 on: November 25, 2021, 11:23:42 am »
Hey, I just found this hack and am playing it on MiSTer FPGA.  If I try to play the MMC5 version, everything looks fine until I save.  Once the game starts over, a lot of the images start flashing back and forth between normal and some other image.  The MMC1 doesn't do this.  I assume the problem is caused by the FPGA but I thought I would mention it in case anyone wanted to look into it.  I honestly don't know what the differences are suppose to be between the two.

Hard to say what the issue is. People have tested the MMC5 version in real hardware and it works fine, same for loading the MMC5 one in FCEUX, Mesen and Nestopia. I cannot do much at all in this instance without proper debugging.

Outside of that...
One of the last features remaining to finish up everything I wanted to do for Zelda 1 has been accomplished this week.

The amount of hearts you have when you save manually is now saved into SRAM, and they will be kept on game load!
Not only that, but it now behaves like in recent Zeldas. If you have 3 or less hearts when you make a save, the game will default to starting you with 3 hearts. If you have more than 3, the game will save that amount and load with that amount!

I want to give huge thanks to minucce for the last two big features of the project, Diagonal Sword swing and the Copy/Erase save file system. I cannot understate just how much work and time he put into those features to make them a reality.
As for the last Save Hearts feature, that one done by me with some guidance and help by minucce, which explained in detail some suspicions and helped me understand some opcodes better.

I think with this, Zelda 1 (and Zelda 2) Redux can now be called a complete and finished project!
As always, check the GitHub for the latest patches. Test out the new features and play around with the optional ones to your liking!

If it all goes well, I'll update both the hack pages for Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 in the upcoming days :)

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 25, 2021, 04:06:31 pm »
Fantastic to see these amazing projects come full circle.

You've done a remarkable job with all your Redux efforts, truly.

InAnotherCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 25, 2021, 04:10:50 pm »
I will be testing this soonish with the goal of making repro carts. Great work and excited to see the full scope realized! Congrats to all