I been working on the Automap file. I changed it to use name table so I had to restructure a lot of things. The file works with MMC1 and MMC5. I also added that the map will disappear in caves.
- Shadow removed the MAP from CHR instead the name table stuff. This need to be added to the CHR.
- The move_maps.asm did have the nametable and did overwrite it. This is added in the automap.asm So you need just to patch the pointer in the movemaps file.
- There been also change to the MMC5 Patch. Mainly to make space in the last bank. I also disabled settings I think are not necessary.
This are all the changes I can recall you need to change on your side @shadow. A other good thing I added in the new Automap file that I copy stuff to different RAM pages. The coded is not needed. I also put some ascii text so people get a idea where they can put code when they view it in the debugger.
I think most caves will remove the map to be viewed. But not for the cave where you access different areas.
This could be a other project to hack something in that room that will tell you where it goes. There could be some code added to remove the map. All it needs is a flag. Writing $01 to CPU $7f02 will draw the map. Making it $ff will make it blank.
Still early stage so I am glad when people find more bugs and report them.
- I did not test with the optional patches!
- In the patch folder is a Redux.ips with MMC5 added and all the normal patches applied. If anyone feels like testing early stuff Patch Downloadhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/8g8d2d7n80o3tg9/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Redux-PRG0.zip?dl=0
- I think it would be cool to have some extra columns used in a optional patch. I do think people might use this as a base for a hack so it is nice to have things working properly and may be provide a example.
- The teleport room is probably not a easy change but a good challenge. If you code it in you could put a sprite over his head that changes accordingly when you get near the stairs. Sure it is a lot of work to do.
- I tested the optional patch that rearranges bosses. That one would need a different CHR arrangement. Or CHR Swap Fixing.
This looks bad too. There should be a flag to stop the animation when needed. And then have something to stop it for that room.
Not really happy with the current tile arrangement. Would be cool to have water in one in two rows. Then have the next rows for something else. Like this you could have animations just turned on when a special event happen. Or have a second one with a different speed.
Sure might be more a thing for a actual hack..
- Looking at it I was thinking to take the Bank animation out of the MMC5.asm and make a MMC5Features.asm in the gameplay folder. Do you feel comfortable to do some programing around the MMC5? Here some ideas. The space after CPU $700-800 seems empty. So you could allocate values to start and stop animations there. May be have a value for the animation speed. I would do that for all 4 quarters. And may be have a extra value what you like to put in the empty sprite page in RAM.
Later on there might be ideas for other features of the MMC5 so it would be good to have a extra file beside the base conversion. I could imagen that this one might get big rather quick. The SRAM think I made could go in there too.