News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux  (Read 141670 times)

The3Dude

• View Profile
Re: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux
« Reply #460 on: October 03, 2020, 02:03:50 am »
Yeah I'm not sure how to replicate it neither :/
I tried several things, but both compiling and patching with IPS works for me everytime.

Only way I can debug this is if someone sends me the faulty ROM so I can run proper checks.

Shadow, just have Lex use PRG1 Zelda as a base and make an IPS patch that converts the PRG1 ROM to his exact ROM. And then send it over. "Assuming you have PRG1 available.
I mean this. "What Lex should do" Open Lunarips and create patch, when creating patch choose PRG1 as the base unmodified ROM. Afterwards select the ROM you are using to patch redux onto, and select it as the patched ROM. Viola you have a patch that makes a PRG1 Zelda 1 ROM into your presumably faulty PRG0 ROM.  :D.
~The3Dude~

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 03, 2020, 02:59:09 pm »
Record a video of the whole hash checking, downloading patches, patching and testing process. Also post hashes after applying each patch.
That would be more hassle than is needed. Shadow and I have narrowed down that the problem is on my end somewhere. Not sure what is causing the problem.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 03, 2020, 03:11:16 pm »
It's probably something from "hands growing from the ass" category, but I'm sure things will work out, eventually  >:D
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2020, 07:21:01 pm »
Yeah as Lex said before, the issue is not the base ROM, as we are both using the same PRG0 ROM for patching.
The issue is somewhere in the implementation.
Something is screwing up the patching on his end, and we haven't quite figured it out yet.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 01, 2020, 06:40:45 pm »
Dropping by to mention some stuff that's been going on through October.

First off, the animated stuff hasn't seen any updates yet.
Some people have mentioned that it is possible to create animated tiles with the current MMC1/CHR-RAM mapper that Zelda 1 uses, so I'll see if I can push animation without changing mappers. In the dire case that's not possible easily, then changing mapper to MMC3 would have to be done.

Secondly, and where most stuff updates have been going on, I will be re-arranging the source code to be properly segmented in sections like gameplay, gfx, text, etc. Similar to what I just did with the Zelda 2 Redux source code, which I disassembled throughout September and October.
I have redone the text source code a bit, so that everything now gets properly repointed without having to write the offsets manually. This applies for ALL the text now. Though, the changes haven't been pushed to the GitHub repository yet.

I have also redone the Linux bash script that is in charge of compiling the ROM based on the Redux source code.
It now detects:
  • If a ROM is present
  • If the present ROM is named properly
  • If the properly named ROM has the correct SHA-1 checksum

If all those 3 parts check out, then the ROM will start compiling.

EDIT:
During the week I managed to create a full functional batch script for Windows that checks if the ROM is present and also verifies the SHA-1 hash of the Base ROM provided for compilation to make sure the user is using the appropriate ROM for the compilation process.

I also reworked a bit of the script so that it gives more detailed outputs compared to the old one.
Here's the revised make.bat for Windows (will be applied to Zelda 2 Redux as well):

Code: [Select]
@echo off

set dopause=0
set file_base=Zelda1_Redux
SET "out_folder=%~dp0out"
SET "patches_folder=%~dp0\patches"
SET "clean_rom=rom\Legend of Zelda, The (USA).nes"
SET "patched_rom=%out_folder%\%file_base%.nes"
SET "asm_file=code\main.asm"
SET "checksum=dab79c84934f9aa5db4e7dad390e5d0c12443fa2"

:: Check if the base ROM exists
IF NOT EXIST "%clean_rom%" (
set errormessage=Base ROM was not found. Place the "%clean_rom%" ROM inside the 'rom' folder, or name your Base ROM accordingly.&goto error
) ELSE (
echo Base ROM detected. Checking SHA-1 hash...
)

:: Verification for the SHA-1 hash of the base ROM
setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
set /a count=1
for /f "skip=1 delims=:" %%a in ('certutil -hashfile "%clean_rom%" SHA1') do (
  if !count! equ 1 set "sha1=%%a"
  set/a count+=1
)
set "sha1=%sha1: =%

IF "%sha1%"=="%checksum%" (
echo Base ROM SHA-1 checksum verified. Patching...
) ELSE (
set errormessage=Base ROM checksum is incorrect. Use a Zelda 1 PRG0 ROM with the proper SHA-1 checksum for patching.&goto error
)

endlocal

:: Check if out folder exists and delete any remnant patched ROMs
IF NOT EXIST "%out_folder%" MKDIR "%out_folder%"
IF EXIST "%patched_rom%" DEL "%patched_rom%"

COPY "%clean_rom%" "%patched_rom%" >NUL
if %errorlevel% NEQ 0 set errormessage=Could not copy file.&goto error

:: Patch the Base ROM and create an IPS alongside the patched ROM
bin\xkas.exe -o "%patched_rom%" "%asm_file%"
if %errorlevel% NEQ 0 set errormessage=Could not patch rom.&goto error
bin\flips.exe --create --ips "%clean_rom%" "%patched_rom%" "%patches_folder%\%file_base%.ips">NUL
if %errorlevel% NEQ 0 set errormessage=Could not create ips.&goto error

goto theend

:error
echo.
echo.ERROR: %errormessage%
echo.
pause
exit

:theend
echo Done.
if %dopause% NEQ 0 pause

Spoiler:
I wanted to ask for help to make an equivalent for the Linux bash script changes into the batch file for Windows.
It more or less has detection for if the ROM is there, but I need to add the checksum verification into the batch file.

I think there's a certain command for Windows that allows for checking the checksum in any variant of any file, called "certutil", but I am still not sure how to implement it so it can work on anything pre-Windows 10, since it seems that before Windows 10, the output isn't formatted in a way that only gives Hex digits alone.
Maybe this post can help for those interested in making the batch equivalent:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42170361/verifying-md5-hashes-in-batch

If anyone could help out to bring the batch file to make the same checks as the Linux bash one, it'd be deeply grateful!
Here's the current Windows batch script:
https://github.com/ShadowOne333/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Redux/blob/master/make.bat

And here's the revamped Linux bash script I have so far:
#! /bin/bash

export file_base=Zelda1_Redux
export  out_folder=out
export patches_folder=patches
export  clean_rom=rom/Zelda1.nes
export  patched_rom=$out_folder/$file_base.nes
export  asm_file=code/main.asm
export checksum=dab79c84934f9aa5db4e7dad390e5d0c12443fa2

function jumpto
{
    label=$1
    cmd=$(sed -n "/$label:/{:a;n;p;ba};" $0 | grep -v ':$')
    eval "$cmd"
    exit
}

start=${1:-"start"}
jumpto $start

start:

if [ -e rom/Legend\ of\ Zelda\,\ The\ \(USA\).nes ]; then
echo "ROM detected. Verifying name..."; else
export error="ROM name is incorrect. Please, rename the ROM to 'Legend of Zelda, The (USA).nes' for the patching process to begin." && jumpto ERROR; fi

cd rom/ && cp Legend\ of\ Zelda\,\ The\ \(USA\).nes Zelda1.nes && cd ..
test ! -d "$out_folder" && mkdir "$out_folder"
test -f "$patched_rom" && rm "$patched_rom"

if [ -f "$clean_rom" ]; then
echo "Base ROM detected with proper name. Checking SHA-1..."; else
export error="Base ROM was not found. Place the 'Legend of Zelda, The (USA).nes' ROM inside the 'rom' folder." && jumpto ERROR; fi

export sha1=$(sha1sum "$clean_rom" | awk '{ print $1 }')

if [ "$sha1" == "$checksum" ]; then
echo "Base ROM SHA-1 checksum verified. Patching..."; else
export error="Base ROM checksum is incorrect. Use a Zelda 1 ROM with the proper SHA-1 checksum for patching." && jumpto ERROR; fi

cp "$clean_rom" "$patched_rom"
bin/xkas -o "$patched_rom" "$asm_file"
bin/flips --create --ips "$clean_rom" "$patched_rom" "$patches_folder/Zelda1_Redux.ips"

jumpto END

ERROR:
echo "ERROR: $error"

END:
rm $clean_rom
sleep 1
exit
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:26:06 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 06, 2020, 07:50:43 am »
The most tedious thing of Zelda 1 (and the main reason it became my worst game ever played), is starting with 3 hearts each time you die. I'm quite surprised (an understatement, to be honest) a fix for that isn't included in the list of changes.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 06, 2020, 03:55:21 pm »
The most tedious thing of Zelda 1 (and the main reason it became my worst game ever played), is starting with 3 hearts each time you die. I'm quite surprised (an understatement, to be honest) a fix for that isn't included in the list of changes.

That's one of the points yet to be done for the main hack.
You can see it in the OP:

• Save the amount of hearts you last had if the game was saved manually, so when you load, you start with the same amount of life (this I'm not sure if it will be implemented in the end hack)
  • Implementation of a Copy/Erase file system like in subsequent Zeldas, where D-Pad Up and Down control the cursor in the File Selection and pressing A brings up the Name screen (Example: ALttP)
  • Add water animation (possibly by converting the ROM to MMC5?)
  • Diagonal sword swing

I'll see what I can do about that. I think I can modify the code to make Link always spawn at full health, but the optimal way to do it would be for the custom routine to detect the current amount of hearts Link has, and then save that to RAM, so the next time you boot the game, you start with those exact hearts. The only exception would be if Link is below 3 hearts, or if he dies, then he should respawn with 3 hearts. Only when he has above 3 hearts should be hearts after a boot be kept.

I know RAM address $066F is the one that gets set when booting a save file. It's always the current number of heart containers in the high nibble, and always $2 is the low nibble. So if you have, let's say, 9 hearts in our meter, the game loads $92 (9 hearts with 3 filled), 10 hearts would be $A2 (10 hearts + 3 filled), etc. So the game always sets 3 hearts to be filled regardless of containers.

I tried doing a bit of debugging to track down where the game sets this value at save boot, but I haven't figured it out the exact place that sets the value, nor how to hijack it.

Now that we are on topic about the things left to be done for the project...
I think I will have to cut down on some of the things for it.

As soon as the animation and the current reworked credits are working, I think I will call it complete and release the hack like that. For as much as I'd like to add the Diagonal sword swing to Zelda 1, that's far beyond my reach (heck, even the animated tiles are tbh), and I really don't want to let this hack go into hiatus for years like Zelda 2 Redux did, and that one still had one last thing I wanted to have in it, but hasn't been done yet.

With that said, the final list of things to do for Zelda 1 Redux would probably look like this:
  • Add water animation. Either by using the current CHR-RAM method, or changing to CHR-ROM or MMC3)
  • Rework the Credits for the game to have full names show up for each developer (like in Zelda 2 Redux)
For the Credits thing, I mentioned this before, but this is what I'm aiming for:
                      Current Credits                    /               Mockup Desired Credits

As you can see, I managed to get some of them to look like the mockup.
However, I'm missing, a way to separate "PRODUCER, DIRECTOR, DESIGNER, PROGRAMMER" into their own lines, separate from the actual names. Basically, just being able to have an additional row/line below those 4 so I can add the full custom name for the developer. I think the code related to the handling of this is somewhere around bank 2 (I believe it should around 0xA800-0xBFFF), but I haven't pinpointed where exactly.

Here's the original post where I asked for help with this, for more details:

I remembered I wanted to do another thing in Zelda 1 which I couldn't tackle as well before, and that's to add the proper full names to the credits of the people involved in the game, instead of using nicknames.

The way I have it right now, I had to sacrifice the first name, and I only added the full last name to the credits.
I tried making my mockup work in-game, and while I did accomplish the result I wanted for "Executive Producer: Hiroshi Yamauchi" and "Sound Composer: Koji Kondo" exactly as in my mockup, the rest I couldn't replicate as I wanted, mainly because the way the credits are printed doesn't allow for such formatting on the screen.

The pointers for this are separated into two parts, a table with the low bytes of each entry's pointer (at $AC2E), and another table with the high bytes of each entry's pointer (at $AC45). The code that seems to handle all of this is located between $ADF9 (0xAE09) and $AE90 (0xAEA0).

Basically, what I'm looking for is being able to break the "Designer" and "Producer" lines into two lines instead of one, the "Director" lines into 3 lines instead of 2, and the "Programmer" lines intro 4 lines instead of 3.

Current Credits                    /               Mockup Desired Credits

EDIT:
I found something rather interesting while trying to debug the Credits sequence.
RAM Addresses $302, $303, $304 and $305 are loaded and handled separately from tables to setup the PPU transfers for the credits. At $AC16-$AC21, there's a table for the first part of the PPU transfer for each entry.
[28 29 2A 2B 20 21 22 23 28 29 2A 2B]

At $AE4E (0x0AE5E) is the code that sets this up.
02:AE4E:BD 16 AC  LDA $AC16,X @ $AC17 = #$29
 02:AE51:8D 02 03  STA $0302 = #$FF

It's a simple Load -> Store done within a loop.
After that comes another table at $AC22, which seems to have something to do with the Y-Position of the credits in the scrolling text, but I'm still not sure how that one works.

At $AE96 seems to be where the actual code related to the positions of the credits is located.
I will see what else I can gather.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:13:55 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 07, 2020, 05:34:21 am »
Aah, I see. My bad. In most Zeldas, keeping hearts on reload and regaining them upon dying are two different things. I didn't realize they're the same thing here.

Besides that, I think the project is looking awesome. Releasing it with these current ideas in mind seems perfectly fine. Personally, I think the more has been changed, the better. But I'm not exactly the target audience I believe. I think a swing would be great in theory, but not worth the effort since it might completely break the balance, as you suspect.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 07, 2020, 01:21:34 pm »
Hey! I just downloaded the patch today and applied it to the rom matching the SHA checksum.

I came across a big issue: When I go into L1 dungeon, Link's left/right sprite glitches up, and stays that way even after exiting the dungeon, until I delete the file and start over.

Tried it on Mesen, Fceux, and Nestopia.
Applied only the base patch.
base rom SHA1: DAB79C84934F9AA5DB4E7DAD390E5D0C12443FA2

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 07, 2020, 02:41:17 pm »
Hey! I just downloaded the patch today and applied it to the rom matching the SHA checksum.

I came across a big issue: When I go into L1 dungeon, Link's left/right sprite glitches up, and stays that way even after exiting the dungeon, until I delete the file and start over.

Tried it on Mesen, Fceux, and Nestopia.
Applied only the base patch.
base rom SHA1: DAB79C84934F9AA5DB4E7DAD390E5D0C12443FA2

Oh no, not again. :-[
I tried replicating the issue but I can't seem to get the same result.
I tried with a compiled ROM from the source, I tried using the IPS from the GitHub repo source into a clean ROM, I tried my own compiled IPS from my personal source, I tried testing on 2nd Quest, 1st Quest, with all possible tunics, and they all work fine for me.

Seriously, why is this happening?
I can't replicate this particular issue at all, same way I couldn't replicate the issue lexluthermeister was having back some weeks ago.

Would you care to help me debug this issue, @njosro?
If you want to, contact me through PM to try to achieve the most details I can out of your issue for debugging.

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 07, 2020, 03:31:32 pm »
Sent you an email :)

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 07, 2020, 04:01:27 pm »
Oh no, not again. :-[
I tried replicating the issue but I can't seem to get the same result.
I tried with a compiled ROM from the source, I tried using the IPS from the GitHub repo source into a clean ROM, I tried my own compiled IPS from my personal source, I tried testing on 2nd Quest, 1st Quest, with all possible tunics, and they all work fine for me.

Seriously, why is this happening?
I can't replicate this particular issue at all, same way I couldn't replicate the issue lexluthermeister was having back some weeks ago.

Would you care to help me debug this issue, @njosro?
If you want to, contact me through PM to try to achieve the most details I can out of your issue for debugging.

Maybe it's something to do with the way these are being compiled? I still can't create a valid rom from the LA GFX patch on github, but when I create an IPS patch myself from the good rom you gave me with an og rom for compare, it works everytime.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 07, 2020, 04:18:18 pm »
Maybe it's something to do with the way these are being compiled? I still can't create a valid rom from the LA GFX patch on github, but when I create an IPS patch myself from the good rom you gave me with an og rom for compare, it works everytime.

That's the weird thing, though.
The good ROM WAS created by compilation.
I then create the IPS from that, and then apply it to a clean ROM and get the good ROM every time.
That's what throws me off.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 07, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »
That's the weird thing, though.
The good ROM WAS created by compilation.
I then create the IPS from that, and then apply it to a clean ROM and get the good ROM every time.
That's what throws me off.
Then the question is, how are you creating the IPS files? Lunar IPS? Floating IPS? There's got to something at play here.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 08, 2020, 07:42:46 pm »
Turns out I was able to replicate the issue njosro was having after all.
He did give me a good rundown of how to replicate it myself, and managed to replicate it.

These are the steps used to replicate it:
  • Delete ALL save files
  • Create a new save (Name and Quest No. doesn't matter)
  • Start the newly created save
  • Head to the first Dungeon
  • Upon entering the Dungeon, Link's sprite when he is moving or walking to the right have one frame that's glitched out. You can even see the glitched graphic loading in the PPU Viewer of FCEUX when this occurs, it overwrites the very first 16x16 tile for sprites, which is one of Link's frames when walking to the right
Interestingly enough, this issue cannot be replicated if you reboot the game after that, or if you continue the saved file after that happens. It also stops happening if you already got it once, which made it even weirder.
I had a slight suspicion as to what was causing the issue given njosro's image inside the dungeon.
If you see, the DUNGEON-1 text is missing from his image, and that indeed was the culprit of the issue.

Turns out the whole code @abw did to properly repoint the "DUNGEON-X" text there somehow borked the graphics.
I am not sure exactly how it affects it or what it is doing that overwrites the very first 16x16 tile of the sprite graphics.

I removed the entire code by @abw in the meanwhile (sadly), and left in the original method I was using to rename "LEVEL-0" to "DUNGEON-0", which was simply replacing the original text without the final $FF control code at the end.
I know that original method works, but I have no clue if not having the $FF there has any side effects anywhere in the game. If someone has the time to test this throughout both 1st Quest and 2nd Quest 100%, please let me know if you find any issues.

@lexluthermeister, check out the new IPS, maybe it could have fixed your issue as well unintentionally.

I am still seeking around in the ROM to pinpoint how to properly rework the credits to look like in the mockup I made. If anyone feels like they can take a stab at it, here's the info I have on it so far (as well as the mockup image):
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29403.msg403636#msg403636

After the credits stuff, just the water animation and I'll call it for Zelda Redux.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 08, 2020, 08:15:37 pm »
@lexluthermeister, check out the new IPS, maybe it could have fixed your issue as well unintentionally.
Just tested and everything works perfectly. I used the latest Redux patch followed by the latest LAGFX patch. Perhaps it wasn't on my end after all? Seems one fixed glitch may have fixed another. Could those GFX routines have been related?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 08, 2020, 09:03:09 pm »
Just tested and everything works perfectly. I used the latest Redux patch followed by the latest LAGFX patch. Perhaps it wasn't on my end after all? Seems one fixed glitch may have fixed another. Could those GFX routines have been related?

I wasn't expecting the issue to actually be fixed with this tbh.
I was just throwing it out there and crossing fingers, it's a nice thing to know it got fixed as well.

So it seems the previous implementation of the repointing code for the "DUNGEON-X" code somehow borked some sprites for the game when used. I don't know why that happened tbh. Maybe it overwrites graphics at some specific times and not at others? Like what happened in njosro's case, where it was really specific in the settings to actually achieve it.

I simply went back to the previous implementation, overwriting the plain text by leaving the final $FF out, and that seems to work without side-effects.
I'll keep it this way until it has been confirmed that a full 100% playthrough of Zelda 1 on both quests have no side effects with it.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 08, 2020, 09:36:23 pm »
I wasn't expecting the issue to actually be fixed with this tbh.
I was just throwing it out there and crossing fingers, it's a nice thing to know it got fixed as well.

So it seems the previous implementation of the repointing code for the "DUNGEON-X" code somehow borked some sprites for the game when used. I don't know why that happened tbh. Maybe it overwrites graphics at some specific times and not at others? Like what happened in njosro's case, where it was really specific in the settings to actually achieve it.

I simply went back to the previous implementation, overwriting the plain text by leaving the final $FF out, and that seems to work without side-effects.
I'll keep it this way until it has been confirmed that a full 100% playthrough of Zelda 1 on both quests have no side effects with it.
Well, don't know what it was, but it's fixed. However, I have found a minor glitch in Q1LVL6 with the map, a few rooms don't show as visited when they have been. See screenshot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrny3zmm7wkjoki/LOZ1-Redux-LAGFX%5B20-11-8%5D_001.png?dl=0

An0n_Cyph3r

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 09, 2020, 11:25:39 am »
Hey. Just three things I wanted to share:

1. This romhack is amazing! Totally different experienct compared to OG Zelda 1.

2. Can I use this romhack with http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2836/ ?

3. How come this romhack isn't available on the Romhacks section?

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 09, 2020, 12:40:42 pm »
Well, don't know what it was, but it's fixed. However, I have found a minor glitch in Q1LVL6 with the map, a few rooms don't show as visited when they have been. See screenshot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrny3zmm7wkjoki/LOZ1-Redux-LAGFX%5B20-11-8%5D_001.png?dl=0

I noticed this bug as well - not sure what caused it