News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux

Started by ShadowOne333, October 10, 2019, 12:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowOne333

Quote from: lexluthermiester on September 22, 2020, 01:48:04 AM
Found a slight issue. With all the GFX that have been changed the Link Awakening GFX patch now shows GFX inconsistencies. Bombable walls, burnable bushes stand out as they still look like the OG GFX. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Ah yeah that's a known issue.
I haven't done the needed changes for any of the GFX hacks, as mentioned here:

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 19, 2020, 05:33:43 PM
Also, there's still the Link's Awakening GFX to address for the new tree, if someone wants to tackle that one based on the one I did, go ahead. The current tree sprite for the LA GFX is inside /code/optional/la_gfx02.bin

I don't have any mockups for a burnable tree for LA GFX yet.

lexluthermiester


The3Dude

So, I have been trying to make a modern version of the Zelda 1 title screen for you "ShadowOne" to see. Big problem though no matter what, if I want the bottom of the letter "Z" to be red, I am forced to make the edge of that sword gold. Unless I were to scoot the entire font upward 8 pixels.



So instead I modernized the title even more so and moved the sword in the middle of the letter "Z" such as in ALTTP.

~The3Dude~

Supergamerguy

Quote from: The3Dude on September 25, 2020, 09:03:11 PM
So, I have been trying to make a modern version of the Zelda 1 title screen for you "ShadowOne" to see. Big problem though no matter what, if I want the bottom of the letter "Z" to be red, I am forced to make the edge of that sword gold. Unless I were to scoot the entire font upward 8 pixels.



So instead I modernized the title even more so and moved the sword in the middle of the letter "Z" such as in ALTTP.



Here's one member of the community that has your support, even if it is a last-minute optional patch. :thumbsup:
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > 10 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

ShadowOne333

Quote from: The3Dude on September 25, 2020, 09:03:11 PM
So, I have been trying to make a modern version of the Zelda 1 title screen for you "ShadowOne" to see. Big problem though no matter what, if I want the bottom of the letter "Z" to be red, I am forced to make the edge of that sword gold. Unless I were to scoot the entire font upward 8 pixels.



So instead I modernized the title even more so and moved the sword in the middle of the letter "Z" such as in ALTTP.



That's a really interesting PoC!
Looks great.
Although, I have a suggestion.

You mentioned that due to the attribute tables, the Sword had to be of a golden colour, right?
What if, instead of having the sword in the Z, you implement the shield that appears in the boxart? ;)
So the logo and title screen match the boxart artwork, like the other Zelda games of the franchise have been doing since ALttP and onward.

That way we can make a better use and take advantage of that golden colour for a much more aesthetic result.
Let me know what do you think

The3Dude

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 25, 2020, 10:52:17 PM
That's a really interesting PoC!
Looks great.
Although, I have a suggestion.

You mentioned that due to the attribute tables, the Sword had to be of a golden colour, right?
What if, instead of having the sword in the Z, you implement the shield that appears in the boxart? ;)
So the logo and title screen match the boxart artwork, like the other Zelda games of the franchise have been doing since ALttP and onward.

That way we can make a better use and take advantage of that golden colour for a much more aesthetic result.
Let me know what do you think



Do you mean this shield? it is silver though. :o

What if I made the Box art font instead of the modern font?
~The3Dude~

ShadowOne333

Oh you're right, it's silver lol
Still though, since it will be sharing the palette of the Triforce triangle, you can make it use the same golden colour, and then I can adjust the palette glow so it transitions from gold to silver, that way we cover both the Triforce original golden color and the Shield's silver color.

The3Dude

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 25, 2020, 11:10:09 PM
Oh you're right, it's silver lol
Still though, since it will be sharing the palette of the Triforce triangle, you can make it use the same golden colour, and then I can adjust the palette glow so it transitions from gold to silver, that way we cover both the Triforce original golden color and the Shield's silver color.

Alright, be on lookout later tonight. I'll be tryin to implement! :thumbsup:
~The3Dude~

iridium_ionizer

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 22, 2020, 10:01:47 AMI don't have any mockups for a burnable tree for LA GFX yet.
Here you go.

               Plain,    berry,    darker,    striped,    skinny,     tall,     stocky,    droopy,    rotten

The3Dude

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 25, 2020, 11:10:09 PM
Oh you're right, it's silver lol
Still though, since it will be sharing the palette of the Triforce triangle, you can make it use the same golden colour, and then I can adjust the palette glow so it transitions from gold to silver, that way we cover both the Triforce original golden color and the Shield's silver color.


I've been trying to implement the shield and to be honest it's very difficult and time consuming :-\ ::). Instead I'll just keep the original sword, but shorten it. So it won't turn golden.
~The3Dude~

lexluthermiester

Quote from: The3Dude on September 25, 2020, 09:03:11 PM
So instead I modernized the title even more so and moved the sword in the middle of the letter "Z" such as in ALTTP.


That looks great!

Trax

If you really need more varied colors integrated into the title graphics, it's possible to recycle some existing sprites and use them to complement the background tiles.

IAmCaptPlanet

Quote from: The3Dude on September 25, 2020, 09:03:11 PM
So, I have been trying to make a modern version of the Zelda 1 title screen for you "ShadowOne" to see. Big problem though no matter what, if I want the bottom of the letter "Z" to be red, I am forced to make the edge of that sword gold. Unless I were to scoot the entire font upward 8 pixels.



So instead I modernized the title even more so and moved the sword in the middle of the letter "Z" such as in ALTTP.



wow, very nice, that but in the box art font, and add they subtitle and remove the rectangle of vines would be ideal as far as i'm concerned. very nice looking indeed.

ShadowOne333

#433
Quote from: The3Dude on September 26, 2020, 03:16:01 AM

I've been trying to implement the shield and to be honest it's very difficult and time consuming :-\ ::). Instead I'll just keep the original sword, but shorten it. So it won't turn golden.
Quote from: Trax on September 27, 2020, 03:42:45 AM
If you really need more varied colors integrated into the title graphics, it's possible to recycle some existing sprites and use them to complement the background tiles.

Trax brings an interesting point.

One thing I can think of are the leaves that cover the Triforce tiles are not actually background tiles, but instead foreground/sprite tiles.
So you have tiles $CA up to $D7 (Fourteen 8x8 tiles!) of the sprite tiles for actual space for any new mockup you want to do.
Additionally, there are some dummy sprites near the title screen graphics for a Lynel, a rock and the bearded NPC, which seem to go unused in the Title screen data, and are actually loaded again with the overworld sprites.
So with that, and if my assumption is correct, then you should have another eight 8x8 tiles to use, adding up to a total of twenty-two 8x8 tiles for any new mockup you choose!

And not just that, but what I'm seeing, I think you can even re-purpose the "duplicated" green palette in the sprite palette row (which the game uses for the sprite leaves, so they match the leaves outbox) for a completely new colour palette for whatever you choose to have as mock up.
The palette is $00,$08,$1A,$28. $00 is still used as transparent colour, but you can still repurpose the other 3 colours to whatever you choose which isn't brown, green and yellow.

You can technically go a little nuts with the mockup now thanks to Trax's suggestion ;)




Apart from that, I have now finally decided to put a little time into the optional GFX patches, and did the following:

  • Separated all of the optional GFX patches (NES and Link's Awakening patches) into their proper BIN files as main Redux
  • Incorporated the new subtitle into the optional GFX patches
  • Redid/retouched the burnable tree and cracked walls for both NES and LA's GFX patches, including a new burnable tree that's subtle, yet discernible, akin to the one in main Redux
  • The "LEVEL-0" text found above each of the Dungeon maps has now properly been modified to "DUNGEON-0". The new text has been repointed and done with custom code courtesy of user @abw
  • updated the IPS files for the optional GFX patches.
I think with all this prep work on Point #1, it should be easier to move stuff around once the proper bank swap with MMC3 becomes a thing.

Let me know if you guys find anything odd.

lexluthermiester

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 27, 2020, 09:59:38 PM
  • Redid/retouched the burnable tree and cracked walls for both NES and LA's GFX patches, including a new burnable tree that's subtle, yet discernible, akin to the one in main Redux

Let me know if you guys find anything odd.
Just downloaded the new Links Awakening GFX patch and the new burnable bush and in-dungeon top & bottom bombable walls appear corrupted. Bombable walls in the overworld and the left & right dungeon bombable walls look fine. Wallmasters appear upside-down when they come out of the wall from the left heading down. Will continue playing and let you know if I find anything else.

ifightdragons

Quote from: lexluthermiester on September 28, 2020, 07:25:58 AM
Just downloaded the new Links Awakening GFX patch and the new burnable bush and in-dungeon top & bottom bombable walls appear corrupted. Bombable walls in the overworld and the left & right dungeon bombable walls look fine. Wallmasters appear upside-down when they come out of the wall from the left heading down. Will continue playing and let you know if I find anything else.

I just wanted to thank you for being so meticulous in your testing, as it benefits us all looking forward to enjoying the finished game.

ShadowOne333

Quote from: lexluthermiester on September 28, 2020, 07:25:58 AM
Just downloaded the new Links Awakening GFX patch and the new burnable bush and in-dungeon top & bottom bombable walls appear corrupted. Bombable walls in the overworld and the left & right dungeon bombable walls look fine. Wallmasters appear upside-down when they come out of the wall from the left heading down. Will continue playing and let you know if I find anything else.
Both the bush and the up/down dungeons work fine for me without issue.
What did you do to apply them? IPS or compiling?
Are you sure you're not using an old patch? Because I updated it yesterday later on.

Also, the Wallmasters is normal, the way the LA GFX did them was with their hands on the floor instead of on the side, so when the image flips they look upside down. If at all that enemy might need to be redone for LA GFX.

lexluthermiester

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 28, 2020, 11:22:46 AM
Both the bush and the up/down dungeons work fine for me without issue.
What did you do to apply them? IPS or compiling?
Are you sure you're not using an old patch? Because I updated it yesterday later on.

Also, the Wallmasters is normal, the way the LA GFX did them was with their hands on the floor instead of on the side, so when the image flips they look upside down. If at all that enemy might need to be redone for LA GFX.
I used the IPS and used the same ROM used for the other ips files. After a closer look, it seems like all of the GFX for the burnable/bombable objects are offset 2 or 3 pixel lines down from where they're supposed to be. I've zipped some screenshots for you to view.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ym0yj2ypdy3fdf/LOZ1-ReduxLAGFX-screenshots.zip?dl=0

ShadowOne333

Quote from: lexluthermiester on September 29, 2020, 11:25:00 AM
I used the IPS and used the same ROM used for the other ips files. After a closer look, it seems like all of the GFX for the burnable/bombable objects are offset 2 or 3 pixel lines down from where they're supposed to be. I've zipped some screenshots for you to view.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ym0yj2ypdy3fdf/LOZ1-ReduxLAGFX-screenshots.zip?dl=0

That's weird.
Those very tiles work fine for me on my end.

Can you try with the latest patches?
I updated the LA GFX stuff yesterday yet again, and I also redid the Wallmaster sprite so it has a similar orientation to vertical like the original Zelda 1, instead of being horizontal like it was in the LA GFX original patch.

lexluthermiester

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 29, 2020, 12:22:06 PM
That's weird.
Those very tiles work fine for me on my end.

Can you try with the latest patches?
I updated the LA GFX stuff yesterday yet again, and I also redid the Wallmaster sprite so it has a similar orientation to vertical like the original Zelda 1, instead of being horizontal like it was in the LA GFX original patch.
Will do.

EDIT;
Just tried it and same results. Same ROM( Legend of Zelda, The (U) (PRG 0).nes ). No other problems exist AFAIK.