News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Black and White event stuff  (Read 1050 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Pokemon Black and White event stuff
« on: October 07, 2019, 05:47:44 pm »
So I've been playing Pokemon games in both Japanese and English for screenshot capturing.

So it has come to the event stuff...
At first I attempted to use AR codes in Desmume. I thought it would be as simple as copy-pasting that junk I found on the Internet.
I only found two codes: a short one that doesn't seem to do anything, and a long one that crashes the emulator.

Just hacking the inventory to add Liberty Ticket allows it to be viewed in the menu but does not function (the ship captain doesn't change his dialogue). I assume it's checking for an event flag.

Eventually I just went with some instructions to use a distro ROM (including a certain version of an emulator called melonDS) that seems to do the job, for English. Ship captain does change his dialogue.
Using that with the JP ROM gives the player a Master Ball instead.

I have seen that loading the EN save in the JP game does seem to work (I can see the dialogue change). I'll do that if I have to, but I'd prefer to get the JP save working.
Any ideas how to further go about trying to find the event flags to make it work?
Even just taking a full RAM dump before and after in Desmume produces a big difference file (not sure how it gets 16MB, but as I understand only the first 4MB in the dump file is the main RAM, yes? I mean, I think the DS RAM is 4MB, isn't it?)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018