News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 2353 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: October 01, 2019, 08:26:11 am »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Addendum
Complete
Improvement

Relevant Link

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 09:16:40 am »
I've always had a big problem with the Mega Man X Games: X himself. The whole concept of this human looking robot going out and killing all these animal looking robots never failed to, honestly, piss me off. I know a lot of people question my opinions on "humans=good/EverythingElse=bad" type stories, but the reason I complain about them so much is that they embellish real life problems and treat them as a good thing, whether it's animal cruelty or human vanity or even discrimination towards animal lovers.

Unfortunately, changing X into proto-man doesn't get rid of my problem. I would love to see someone replace X with an anthropomorphic Rush or Beat or something that isn't human.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:43:53 am by Plint Michigan »

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 12:39:48 am »
Interesting take...

What are your thoughts on Sigma? Serges? Agile? Violen? Vile?

All also human-looking. And then, what about the Mets, the Hogans, the non-humanoid and/or purely machine-like enemies which are in the X series?

It's true that the 8 stage bosses which you end up fighting are animal-themed, but by and large, this theme does not carry to the rest of the bestiary (cyber-bestiary?) of the games.

Also, are human beings not also animals, from a certain point of view? Our cells aren't plant or inorganic matter, they are literally animal cells, as defined by our biology.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:10:06 pm »
Interesting take...

What are your thoughts on Sigma? Serges? Agile? Violen? Vile?

All also human-looking. And then, what about the Mets, the Hogans, the non-humanoid and/or purely machine-like enemies which are in the X series?

It's true that the 8 stage bosses which you end up fighting are animal-themed, but by and large, this theme does not carry to the rest of the bestiary (cyber-bestiary?) of the games.

Also, are human beings not also animals, from a certain point of view? Our cells aren't plant or inorganic matter, they are literally animal cells, as defined by our biology.

My big problem is that we, the human race, are responsible for the endangerment of over 30,000 different animals, including many of the animals that make up boss fights in this game. I also feel like compassion towards animals in general is dying in Modern Man. We are constantly portraying Hunters as these holy and perfect human beings , and do not give me that bulshit about how hunters are all so beneficial to the environment, because I've heard it a million fucking times and I am fucking sick of that. In my experience, a lot of hunters I know are very manipulative towards ecological science, and usually won't even lift a finger to save animals unless animals get to suffer in some way. Regardless, we also have an unnecessary obsession with hunting any amount of modern day hero is that happened to be Hunters is, honestly, infuriating.

All that being said, I cannot see X as a hero and I do not feel comfortable playing those games. That's why I need a non-human protagonist because then it won't be an embellishment of problems I see in real life that people treat as good things.

Short version: I play games to get away from humans and reality, and this game them right back into my face.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 06:53:29 pm »
I think you might have other issues at play besides simply being angry about the mistreatment of animals.

I mean, even speaking on the subject has you borderline enraged, if I'm truly intended to take what youre saying at face value. It's nearly comical in how over the top you are with it. You realize that most writers/game designers/artists/etc happen to be bipedal homo sapiens, yes?

Where is this giant skewing of perspective to see animals as a victim of gaming trends/storytelling trends/what have you coming from?

People write for humanesque characters because THEY ARE HUMANS. This isn't brain surgery, Plint.

Man. Cool it. Wow. You're spreading your stress to everyone who reads your diatribes and by the way you addressed absolutely 0 of my rather valid points.

What is wrong with you?

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 09:03:11 pm »
You. People like you who seem to think that being human means we have to portray humans in a narcissistic light. People who writes stories as if people are that fucking shallow that they absolutely cannot accept the idea that other life exist as anything other than objects, and that the most relatable hero is someone who acts exactly that way. Us being human does not excuse ourselves for writing  stories as if the universe revolves entirely around us. And just so we're clear, writing stories that star humans isn't the problem, it's writing stories that portray literally everything else as disposable, which media constantly does.

Again, these are real life problems that modern media treats as good things. These are also problems that modern people see as good things. I will not support media that does that. I'm sorry if that offends you, but I'm not changing my perspective. Having non-human characters that aren't villains or treated as objects won't kill you, and I'd even argue that it could lead to better and more creative storytelling..
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:12:18 pm by Plint Michigan »

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 09:07:07 pm »
While this is an... interesting read, I'm told that graphics hacks are among the easiest to make, so have you considered firing up Tile Layer Pro and hacking the game yourself?

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:11:18 pm »
While this is an... interesting read, I'm told that graphics hacks are among the easiest to make, so have you considered firing up Tile Layer Pro and hacking the game yourself?

Yeah, but I've never been able to make good Sprites that would work in Megaman X. Plus I always end up feeling daunted by all the Sprites I need to edit. From what I can tell of the dimensions, it wouldn't be too hard to edit a dog face on x, but even with a lot of the Sprites having similar faces, that's still a lot of Sprites to edit. Sometimes I wish someone already made Sprites. Maybe this is just my way of admitting I'm lazy.

That being said, it's not the only issue. I do have a bilateral injury in both hands, and using the mouse for too long is kind of painful. I probably just need a mouse with less resistant buttons but I don't have one right now.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 07:25:06 pm »
come on man

Allow me to alleviate your stress then

Shove a bunch of words down my throat that I didn't say while ignoring what I did say, sure

I'm the problem, whatever

Aaaand unsubscribed

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 07:42:38 pm »
Allow me to alleviate your stress then

Shove a bunch of words down my throat that I didn't say while ignoring what I did say, sure

I'm the problem, whatever

Aaaand unsubscribed

You used the "we are human" argument, which implied a lot of the things I said. I commented on the relevant things you said. Sigma, vile and those others clearly have non-human allies. X does not. The few non-animal villains don't make up for animals making up MOST of the villains and zero of the heroes. As for the demonizing of animals: while humans=good/everything else=bad stories have always been a thing, they have only become super prevalent since the late 2000s.

"Unsubscribed?" Unsubscribe to what? I have nothing to subscribe to.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:09:16 pm by Plint Michigan »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 09:19:04 pm »
Killing robots in megaman series has never been portraied realistically, or violently. It looks pretty cartoonish to me. I can go "oh wow pretty rabbit!" and kill it and move on and never ever think "wow megaman is such a coward for killing the robot that looks like an animal".
The robots are creations of Dr. Willy and are programmed to kill megaman. Maybe Dr. Willy thought that making them look like animals would create a small feeling of moral doubt in megaman, making it easier for the robots to succeed in their mission?
Anyway, the game needs enemies. Do you propose they should just look like regular machines and not resemble any form of living organism? Wouldn't that make it super boring?

I'm a vegetarian btw.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 10:07:32 pm »
Killing robots in megaman series has never been portraied realistically, or violently. It looks pretty cartoonish to me. I can go "oh wow pretty rabbit!" and kill it and move on and never ever think "wow megaman is such a coward for killing the robot that looks like an animal".
The robots are creations of Dr. Willy and are programmed to kill megaman. Maybe Dr. Willy thought that making them look like animals would create a small feeling of moral doubt in megaman, making it easier for the robots to succeed in their mission?
Anyway, the game needs enemies. Do you propose they should just look like regular machines and not resemble any form of living organism? Wouldn't that make it super boring?

I'm a vegetarian btw.

to each their on, but I personally do not feel comfortable playing my game. Also, I would love, for once, for a game to have boring villains. it always feels like the villains are unique and interesting but not the heroes, as opposed to the other way around or possibly having them both be unique and interesting.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 10:07:14 am »
You used the "we are human" argument, which implied a lot of the things I said. I commented on the relevant things you said. Sigma, vile and those others clearly have non-human allies. X does not. The few non-animal villains don't make up for animals making up MOST of the villains and zero of the heroes. As for the demonizing of animals: while humans=good/everything else=bad stories have always been a thing, they have only become super prevalent since the late 2000s.

"Unsubscribed?" Unsubscribe to what? I have nothing to subscribe to.

Unnotify probably would have been the word I should have used, but thank you for attacking my arguments instead of me.

One point though; Sigma, Chill Penguin, Spark Mandrill, all of them, were once X's co-workers (Sigma his commander, in fact). The fact that they are infected with a virus that causes them to become murderous towards humans is part of the plot yes, and I can see that if you feel stories where enemies are 'animalized' and humans are made out to be superior to them are bothersome, then this wouldn't be a good fit, I suppose.

Personally, I find animals to be wonderful and am big on nature and environmentalism, but I also am anti-extremism in all its forms. Radicalization of a viewpoint does not help its dissemination.

As Zidane Tribal (Mr. Monkeytail) says in FF9: "The sly eagle doesn't kill at whim."

October 13, 2019, 10:10:05 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Actually, that sounds kind of cool. If Capcom made a Mega Man game where everything looked like a literal robot, I might actually play that...that'd be different. Never thought about that. There are ways to make that kind of cool, actually.

October 14, 2019, 11:08:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have been around RHDN long enough and used a mechanical keyboard long enough to where I can say without a shadow of a doubt that a Mega Man game where all the enemies are 100% robotic in appearance is a thing that has not been done yet.

Sure do it. I would play it. Robots! Do you beef with each other? Let's hear your beef!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:08:43 pm by Spooniest »