News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I need help with patching this particular File  (Read 1318 times)

Kenshi

• View Profile
I need help with patching this particular File
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:45:48 am »
Hello folks,

I wanted to use this translation https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3243/

I just have the Lunar IPS to patch which I've bin using til now. This translation above however, has several files included (.ips, .bps, .xml and .bml). The Readme didn't gave me any instructions on how to apply them all exactly and I also couldn't find anything on the FAQ here. I just know that you have to use Lunar IPS with the ips file in order to patch the game. But after doing so, how to apply the other files into the patched rom?.

Thanks.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with patching this particular File
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 02:25:20 pm »
Yes the readme does contain the info, under "General information".
Two types of patches are available: .bps and .ips. Use whichever patching format you prefer. If you're not sure which to use, give beat, the .bps patcher, a try. It's available at https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/. Log in and download it! (Note that you only need to patch the game once with either patch. Do not patch the game with both of them.)

Several emulators can run the game, including Higan (which requires the .bml and the use of the included rom splitting program), bsnes (which requires the .xml), and recent versions of snes9x. Snes9X does not require a .xml or .bml, and when Higan v107+ is released, it will not require it either.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 05:52:54 pm »
So basically they included both IPS and BPS patches, just to confuse people. :D I don't get it really, just pick whichever format is best for your hack. I use either IPS or xDelta, but not both at once.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 07:02:26 pm »
So basically they included both IPS and BPS patches, just to confuse people. :D I don't get it really, just pick whichever format is best for your hack. I use either IPS or xDelta, but not both at once.

Since I just included both a .IPS and .BPS patch in a recent release let me explain my reasoning. The ROM checking of .BPS seems far preferable to the apply-to-anything whatever nature of .IPS, however .IPS is so ubiquitous I was certain that some folks would simply not play, or be unable to play, the patch if an .IPS weren't included. Ideally .IPS would be retired as a format, but I included it for accessibility.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 04:04:13 am »
Ideally .IPS would be retired as a format, but I included it for accessibility.

I get that, but I like the simplicity of IPS over BPS, as well as its ubiquity. As I said, I don't really bother with BPS since I can use xDelta, which seems even better. I just write in the readme what the GoodTools name and CRC32 is for the ROM in question, and if people can't read the readme then... meh. :D