News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake will have a "Classic Mode" that makes it turn-based  (Read 1425 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
https://hypebeast.com/2019/9/final-fantasy-vii-remake-turn-based-classic-mode-info

People seem genuinely pleased about this. I am, too, I like having that choice at my fingertips, and am reminded of something BRPXQZME once said of FFIX, that he enjoyed a game that would let you take a sip of coffee once in a while.

I made this image in response:

FF Fan Reactions: An Infographic

Figure I may as well post it places.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
I've always preferred turn-based RPGs, really. Must be because my first RPG was Quest 64.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
I seem to recall they already announced in the distant past that they were going to include a mode in which combat is completely optional.

It all bodes rather poorly, I think.  Sure, the game will probably sound great, and look great, and that will probably be enough to please most people – but it kind of sounds like the combat is going to be an afterthought.  Of course, combat in the original was also broken and buggy and that didn't stop it from becoming a ridiculously popular game, but wouldn't it be nice if the combat actually worked this time around?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bregalad

• View Profile
I seem to recall they already announced in the distant past that they were going to include a mode in which combat is completely optional.
Why not release a movie or an anime, then ?
Or simply releasing an adventure game featuring the same story, but no combat ?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
This is enough for me not to hate the remake's guts now, so long as there's a version that has both parts in one later on.  Sure gameplay will be radically different from the original still, but the thought of keeping a turn-based option around is enough for me.  I turn turn-based on whenever I get the chance.  That said, I'm very cautious about the look of this as Jorpho mentions.

I usually still prefer the original version though, the exception being something like Pokemon RBY.

Why not release a movie or an anime, then ?
Or simply releasing an adventure game featuring the same story, but no combat ?
Unfortunately like it or not, Square-Enix's logic today on what an FF game should be boils down to "yeah they love those movies."  The target for many years has been another FFVII, and people were blown over by the FMVs.  Even though going full bore on FMV resulted in Spirits Within.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
I like the idea of making FF7Remake an Action RPG(I have no interest in playing it unless it is), but it seems good that they are going to have the option to play in a turn-based style.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
I like the idea of making FF7Remake an Action RPG(I have no interest in playing it unless it is)
I get where they're coming from with the Action-RPG idea due to it's sequels, but I wish the system was more akin to Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story.  Best of both worlds there, and the more tactical style would throw ideas that we've gone to having combat as an afterthought out the window.

Honestly I feel like this battle system would've been more at home in a FFVIII remake though.  I always feel more pushed to use summons or melee in that game due to the junction system, which would mean an Action-RPG system would enforce the same playstyle for the most part.

Jeville

• View Profile
Classic mode is still not full party control and it simply does the dodging for you.