Hey! I am a huge fan of this game. I actually did some work on hacking work on this last year, and was just thinking about continuing.
I dumped what I think is all the written text (battle, menus, character names, stone tablet text), got a reinserter working on most of it, started locating some pointers, and was able to replace the default font with something easier to read.
The subs/dubs question is tricky, I got stressed out about it and stopped. The audio is not too hard to extract - it opens in Audacity with the right parameters. I was just anxious about needing to coordinate work with a bunch of voice actors. I tend not to like video game voice acting anyway, so I would be a poor director.
I will take some screenshots of my hacking work later and edit this post with them. Feel free to message me if you want to coordinate and talk more!
Edit: Here's how it's looking so far:
The small 8x8 font is easily editable, so I just threw in this Final Fantasy one
The bigger font in stuff like the main menu/bestiary is a system font. I did some ASM hacking to change it from the 16x16 system font to the 12x12 one, but right now it still has the original spacing. I did get the game to read single-byte ASCII instead of SJIS though, so that doubles the space availble. Next step is to either fix the spacing, or just scrap that and make it print stuff using the 8x8 font instead. (And to fix the number/apostrophe display, which you can see doesn't quite work yet.)
Again, it's a work in progress. This isn't the system I usually work on, so I am starting from scratch and learning everything I can.