News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Last Armageddon (PC Engine CD) Hacker Wanted!  (Read 701 times)

dokusaisha

• View Profile
Last Armageddon (PC Engine CD) Hacker Wanted!
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:49:32 am »
Hi everyone! It's been quite awhile since the last time I've had any work going as active on romhacking.net (not since Cleopatra no Mahou with DvD!), but now I'm looking at another project that I've done some preliminary work on, but I could really use the help of someone that knows what they are doing with hacking to take care of the technical side of things.

I've got a fair amount of work done in translating things like menu items, battle messages, monster names, and things like that, but it seems I've hit a wall. I have no idea how to do a proper script dump, how to make or setup utilites for reinjecting a script, etc. About the farthest I've gotten on my own in terms of the actual program is replacing some basic text with the built-in English font.

If anyone is interested, I'd love a partner in crime. I can handle all the translation work without a problem, and I really would love to see this game in English, but I don't have the skills to do the entire thing on my own.

Thanks!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Last Armageddon (PC Engine CD) Hacker Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:17:12 am »
I will say that if you wanted to translate Last Armageddon for the Famicom, you'd have better luck finding a hacker simply because NES hackers are more common than PCE CD hackers.

That said, the main community for the PCE is located at this site:

http://pcengine.proboards.com/

That is where elmer and dshadoff, two people who might be willing to help you, hang out. They have accounts here, but I don't think they check these forums often.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:35:56 am »
Hmmm, looks like it has lots of VA... it's likely that adding subs won't be an option. If there's no space for subs, dubbing may be the only way. It seems that this is likely (unfortunately) the hardest version to hack, but you should ask elmer, dshadoff or (maybe) cabbage for more info, like Pennywise mentioned. They may know more.

Tarosuke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 07:58:44 pm »
Filler recently made an attempt this year to reignite the PCE translation scene by dumping a few HuCard PCE scripts and even posting on the above forum link where the PCE programmers hang out.  Though I think most of them are busy tied up with other projects at the moment so if you can't get hold of the programmers then Filler may be able to help you with the script dumping part of the project. Best of luck with it.

hollowaytape

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • The devil enjoys the grief
    • View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:26:03 am »
Hey! I am a huge fan of this game. I actually did some work on hacking work on this last year, and was just thinking about continuing.

I dumped what I think is all the written text (battle, menus, character names, stone tablet text), got a reinserter working on most of it, started locating some pointers, and was able to replace the default font with something easier to read.

The subs/dubs question is tricky, I got stressed out about it and stopped. The audio is not too hard to extract - it opens in Audacity with the right parameters. I was just anxious about needing to coordinate work with a bunch of voice actors. I tend not to like video game voice acting anyway, so I would be a poor director.

I will take some screenshots of my hacking work later and edit this post with them. Feel free to message me if you want to coordinate and talk more!

---

Edit: Here's how it's looking so far:

The small 8x8 font is easily editable, so I just threw in this Final Fantasy one.

The bigger font in stuff like the main menu/bestiary is a system font. I did some ASM hacking to change it from the 16x16 system font to the 12x12 one, but right now it still has the original spacing. I did get the game to read single-byte ASCII instead of SJIS though, so that doubles the space availble. Next step is to either fix the spacing, or just scrap that and make it print stuff using the 8x8 font instead. (And to fix the number/apostrophe display, which you can see doesn't quite work yet.)

Again, it's a work in progress. This isn't the system I usually work on, so I am starting from scratch and learning everything I can.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:13:00 pm by hollowaytape »
46 OkuMen's PC-98 romhacker.
Finished: E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution | Rusty | CRW: Metal Jacket
In Progress: Appareden | Different Realm | ??? | ??? | ???
Other Projects: Possessioner | ??? | ???